Value of: Brett Pesce, Brady Skjei, Teuvo Teräväinen

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Someone on sportsnet said the going rate for defensemen extended was a 1st and two 2nds. He was talking about Hanifin but I think Pesce is in the same boat, roughly. Because the market is so limited, I can see Carolina letting him go for roughly a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd if he’s extended, and less if he’s not.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Hoping someone can get in Pesce’s ear and convince him Buffalo isn’t a bad place to head; especially if he’s joining the fray. That’s if Friedman’s assumption about him having an NTC list and probably wouldn’t waive for Buffalo is true.

Of course Nashville is a more desirable location, so I get it. But really want him in the fold.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Someone on sportsnet said the going rate for defensemen extended was a 1st and two 2nds. He was talking about Hanifin but I think Pesce is in the same boat, roughly. Because the market is so limited, I can see Carolina letting him go for roughly a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd if he’s extended, and less if he’s not.

At some point, the canes are better off keeping him next year while they push for a cup and letting him walk than trading him for a lesser return, though.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
At some point, the canes are better off keeping him next year while they push for a cup and letting him walk than trading him for a lesser return, though.
I don't disagree, but ultimately something has got to give on our blueline this offseason. Some bodies got to leave Raleigh.

Slavin-Burns
Orlov-Pesce
Skjei-TDA
Chatfield
Coghlan
...and we're in it to win it on Karlsson. (I don't think we should be in at-all, but the Canes FO disagrees.)

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
I don't disagree, but ultimately something has got to give on our blueline this offseason. Some bodies got to leave Raleigh.

Slavin-Burns
Orlov-Pesce
Skjei-TDA
Chatfield
Coghlan
...and we're in it to win it on Karlsson. (I don't think we should be in at-all, but the Canes FO disagrees.)
Yep. It’s clear Pesce is good as gone at this point. This is one of those difficult decisions that I think is the right move in the long run.

Reactions: MinJaBen

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina

Teuvo Teräväinen, I’d be surprised if he could be moved for future considerations at his $5.4mm rental value.

Assuming this is bold-faced because either you don't ever watch Teuvo or you just don't know what you're talking about. Guy is a 56 point per 82 game performer over his career. He's coming of a down year due to injuries and a death in his family.

I think you'll be surprised at his value across the league.

Still, if he get's moved, it is likely part of a larger package.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I think they need to move him to fit Karlsson?

It's out there that Pesce is as good as gone...so while I might agree with you, I don't think that's one of the potential outcomes anymore.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
Skjei is on the table?

Have fun making a proposal @super6646
If Carolina wants lindholm back for Brady Skjei I’m driving him to the airport and flying the airplane straight to Raleigh. Then I’m kissing Don Waddell and crying the first two tears of my life.
I loled.

Well worth viewing this topic for this exchange alone, and Super's long time bromance with Skjei.

@super6646 If you can convince Lindholm to extend with us for a reasonable contract in the eyes of our front office while you're at it, I'd appreciate it.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I suspect the trade value for these three—and most big ticket players across the league—is only the cap space they give up. The flat cap has nerfed the market for virtually every player.

The teams that have the cap space are the ones rebuilding. They have no reason to give up futures for players who will likely walk to UFA rather than rebuild.

If Carolina does trade for Karlsson or sign Tarasenko—the subsequent trade of Pesce/Skjei or Teravainen is probably going to be similar to when Nate Schmidt was traded for peanuts after Vegas signed Pieterangelo.

Last edited:

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I think they need to move him to fit Karlsson?

It's out there that Pesce is as good as gone...so while I might agree with you, I don't think that's one of the potential outcomes anymore.

Who knows what will come of all of this Karlsson talk? Canes have been linked to him since last year and nothing has transpired. If the canes don’t acquire him, and even if the TDA trade goes through, I’d sooner keep him if the return isn’t great.

I suppose you’re right, though, and it’s not a very likely outcome anymore. Hopefully they can still get good value for him and aren’t forced to settle for less because teams know they have to move him.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Tt and Skjei to Anaheim would make sense, in buy cheap scenario

Anaheims defense right now looks like

Fowler gudas
Lacombe drysdale
Hagg helleson
White

We can use another middle 6 winger.

We have plenty of space, and need for actual nhl talent. Hell you can throw in 1 of your goalies too, if we can find a gibson trade

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Pesce is a top pairing RHD and of a style that can fit with any type of LD. He can even play LD, if necessary.

His contract is cheap for next year too. A short-term salary dump going to San Jose in a three-team deal is a possibility, if $4 mil is too much outright.

Skjei and Teravainen I get. No demand for Pesce would be shocking.

Reactions: MinJaBen

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Tt and Skjei to Anaheim would make sense, in buy cheap scenario

Anaheims defense right now looks like

Fowler gudas
Lacombe drysdale
Hagg helleson
White

We can use another middle 6 winger.

We have plenty of space, and need for actual nhl talent. Hell you can throw in 1 of your goalies too, if we can find a gibson trade

Canes aren’t looking to move a goalie, though. Koochie is hopefully the future and both Andersen and Raanta were just signed a week ago. They’re going to run with all 3 as Koochie still has one year left being exempt from waivers.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Canes aren’t looking to move a goalie, though. Koochie is hopefully the future and both Andersen and Raanta were just signed a week ago. They’re going to run with all 3 as Koochie still has one year left being exempt from waivers.
At that makes sense then…. Thought they had to make room to keep kooochie up.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Pesce is a top pairing RHD and of a style that can fit with any type of LD. He can even play LD, if necessary.

His contract is cheap for next year too. A short-term salary dump going to San Jose in a three-team deal is a possibility, if $4 mil is too much outright.

Skjei and Teravainen I get. No demand for Pesce would be shocking.
The market may be softer on TT but in now way shape or form should it be for Skjei. He has put up excellent seasons and back to back years and is coming off of 18 goals. He’s a horse in his prime and plays well in all situations. For a season at $5m+ he’d be a very attractive player to a lot of teams.

PatLaFontaineASMR

Jul 9, 2014
Parts Unkown
:sabres Brett Pesce extended 8x6.5M

:canes Erik Karlsson (3.5M retained), Vsevolod Komarov, 2024 BUF 1st (top 10 protected)
:sharksHenri Jokiharju, Jack Drury, Teuvo Teravainen, 2024 CAR 1st, 2024 PHI 2nd

Reactions: MeenOlViks

Grinner

May 31, 2022

:canes Erik Karlsson (3.5M retained), Vsevolod Komarov, 2024 BUF 1st (top 10 protected)
:sharksHenri Jokiharju, Jack Drury, Teuvo Teravainen, 2024 CAR 1st, 2024 PHI 2nd
Replace Joli with Strbak
Replace Drury with Morrow
Not sure why Terevainen is in there

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Assuming this is bold-faced because either you don't ever watch Teuvo or you just don't know what you're talking about. Guy is a 56 point per 82 game performer over his career. He's coming of a down year due to injuries and a death in his family.

I think you'll be surprised at his value across the league.

Still, if he get's moved, it is likely part of a larger package.
Not sure why it came out bolded. No intention to that. But it’s only you that will be disappointed in the trade. Doubtful Carolina can even trade him and he’d net nothing the other way if the Hurricanes wants cap space / futures. If Carolina eats a bad contract coming inbound, then the return may perk up. But there won’t be an nhl playoff contender that will give up just futures for this guy his full AAV. And why would a lottery team offer anything for a 29 year old rental? They won’t.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008

I’d do this and I’m sure SJ would. feel Like Carolina wouldn’t

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad