Player Discussion Brett Howden

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Howden looked great early and awful later which is pretty common for a player with his age and profile. I can't say I am too concerned about him.

I felt he kind of had the wave technique going.

He was good until he got hurt, that seemed to pause his momentum. Then he was fairly invisible for a few months, and then I thought he finished the season on the upswing.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
weird... I constantly say I think pionks fine as a 3rd pair defenseman.

I just mentioned him because he's a defenseman who played thru an injury that we knew of.

There's no agenda here..I actually like pionk as a 3rdpair d. My issues aren't with him..it's with the usage the coaches are giving him

You must have pionk confused with vesey for me.

Vesey is trash.

Don't think he's trash, but definitely nowhere near where he was advertised to be as.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
I felt he kind of had the wave technique going.

He was good until he got hurt, that seemed to pause his momentum. Then he was fairly invisible for a few months, and then I thought he finished the season on the upswing.
I saw enough from him that I think he'll be part of the core moving forward. I'm more concerned about his tendency to get injured than his ability.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
True, but when your teams a disaster why play through any injuries?

Aside from the playoffs, I don't think the state of the team is a factor in this. One of the things a young player has to learn is how to play through non-debilitating injuries.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
weird... I constantly say I think pionks fine as a 3rd pair defenseman.

I just mentioned him because he's a defenseman who played thru an injury that we knew of.

There's no agenda here..I actually like pionk as a 3rdpair d. My issues aren't with him..it's with the usage the coaches are giving him

You must have pionk confused with vesey for me.

Vesey is trash.

I stand corrected.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I saw a season from Howden where he was drinking from a fire hose. He seemed to struggle to figure out where he fit in and he had nights where he was great offensively and nights where he was great defensively but very few nights where he played a great game in all three zones. I think once he settles into a role with an injury free season we'll start to see more consistency in his game and we'll be able to get a better feel for where his upside really is. I think there's #2C potential in his game, but if you have a guy like that as your #3 then you're in pretty damn good shape.

I'm also curious to see what his off-season program looks like. His brother had a rep for being one of those guys who thought he could get by on his natural gifts and never put in the work with his off-ice habits. Brett could certainly stand to pack on some muscle.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I saw a season from Howden where he was drinking from a fire hose. He seemed to struggle to figure out where he fit in and he had nights where he was great offensively and nights where he was great defensively but very few nights where he played a great game in all three zones. I think once he settles into a role with an injury free season we'll start to see more consistency in his game and we'll be able to get a better feel for where his upside really is. I think there's #2C potential in his game, but if you have a guy like that as your #3 then you're in pretty damn good shape.
Dead on. Perfectly put.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011

I'm also curious to see what his off-season program looks like. His brother had a rep for being one of those guys who thought he could get by on his natural gifts and never put in the work with his off-ice habits. Brett could certainly stand to pack on some muscle.
Said it a few times but I get a lot of Kevin Hayes vibes, maybe not exactly stylistically but developmentally

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
This thread is probably a ton like the Hayes thread from back in the day. I think Howden has a little less potential than Hayes had but it's not a giant drop off.

Reactions: Leetch3

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
So after this past season, who we do we see as the better player long-term: Lias or Brett?

I think they both will turn out alright. The best thing about the two of them is their willingness to learn and their desire to be better. I know people are down on Lias but I think he has the desire to be a really good player in the league and unlike some others we had drafted like say a Brendl, he will put the work in to get better. I like our future

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
This thread is probably a ton like the Hayes thread from back in the day. I think Howden has a little less potential than Hayes had but it's not a giant drop off.

Not a bad comparison honestly... both playmakers that display a good amount of patience with puck. Neither are big threats to score but aren't hopeless in that regard either

Obviously Hayes has a big size advantage, but not sure if that translates to anything worthwhile since he plays a finesse game.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Not a bad comparison honestly... both playmakers that display a good amount of patience with puck. Neither are big threats to score but aren't hopeless in that regard either

Obviously Hayes has a big size advantage, but not sure if that translates to anything worthwhile since he plays a finesse game.

Hayes' size and reach are huge parts of his finesse game. Stylistically, these players aren't similar at all. Development curve might be very similar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad