Player Discussion Brett Howden

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Poor Howden has been hijacked to a Lindgren/Fox thread.

Not to be the Debbie Downer here, however. While excited about the possiblities of these two playing, it's highly unlike the NYR org to play to Rookies on the same line, let alone a two rookie defense pairing.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
wont-somebody-please-think-of-brett-howden.jpg

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
I'd like to see Howden put up 35 next year and assert himself as that 3C who can do it all. He's well on his way to becoming an energy, give it all 3C who can put up 45 in their prime.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Howden doesn't have much future here unless he really improves his physical and defensive game. Right now he seems like not offensive enough to be a good 2nd liner and not defensive enough to be a good 3rd liner.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
So in other words...you've never seen him play

Or maybe you have never seen him play?

"It was on the defensive end where Howden struggled the most, with a team worst – and second worst in the entire NHL – 3.35 xGA/60. He was 11th in xGF/60 at 2.30, and that should probably get better, the kid is talented. But it’s that defensive play that really dragged him down." "He can contribute offensively, but boy does his defensive game need a ton of work."

2019 Rangers Player Report Card: Brett Howden - Blue Seat Blogs

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013

"It was on the defensive end where Howden struggled the most, with a team worst – and second worst in the entire NHL – 3.35 xGA/60. He was 11th in xGF/60 at 2.30, and that should probably get better, the kid is talented. But it’s that defensive play that really dragged him down." "He can contribute offensively, but boy does his defensive game need a ton of work."

A rookie struggles?Shocking!He will be fine.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Howden doesn't have much future here unless he really improves his physical and defensive game. Right now he seems like not offensive enough to be a good 2nd liner and not defensive enough to be a good 3rd liner.

Most players coming out of the CHL don't skip past a season or two (or three) in the AHL you know. If he had stayed with the Tampa organization that drafted him he would have almost certainly spent the entire year in Syracuse. There are improvements for sure that Brett needs to make but some of them will (should) come naturally as he gets bigger, stronger and more experienced which is a way of saying that he's not a fully developed player so you shouldn't look at him like he is. He's a work in progress and it still might take two-three years before we really have a realistic idea about how good he can be.

Personally I see him eventually becoming a really good 3C. I think he'll have the capability of 40-45 point seasons--he'll kill penalties and be very very good on faceoffs. He's got more weight to put on and he needs to get stronger. Those things will help him--he'll need to be more physical. All that is within reach. He's not going to be a star but he should become a very good player. For a tail end of the first round player that's a pretty good outcome.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
They happened....guys just played thru them stupidly...like pionk.

Like Fast....like Kreider this year. Like Shattenkirk and Kreider in 17-18. Like Henrik does some times and we find out later. I get that you don't like Pionk but it becomes an agenda when you single him out for stuff that others around him are doing too. We also don't know what other pressures they're getting from the coaching staff for instance...and it's not unusual for a player to think--'if I don't play I might lose my job to.......'

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Like Fast....like Kreider this year. Like Shattenkirk and Kreider in 17-18. Like Henrik does some times and we find out later. I get that you don't like Pionk but it becomes an agenda when you single him out for stuff that others around him are doing too. We also don't know what other pressures they're getting from the coaching staff for instance...and it's not unusual for a player to think--'if I don't play I might lose my job to.......'

I dont see how saying that Pionk playing through injury, which is essentially giving him an excuse for being a horrible defenseman, is part of any "agenda".

That's probably the nicest true thing someone has said about Pionk on the board since November.

Last edited:
Reactions: Inferno

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Howden looked great early and awful later which is pretty common for a player with his age and profile. I can't say I am too concerned about him.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm

What exactly are his biggest flaws on D?

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
When we speak of injuries and the depth we need them for, I assume we're talking about the kind that can't be played through.

True, but when your teams a disaster why play through any injuries?

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
weird... I constantly say I think pionks fine as a 3rd pair defenseman.

I just mentioned him because he's a defenseman who played thru an injury that we knew of.

There's no agenda here..I actually like pionk as a 3rdpair d. My issues aren't with him..it's with the usage the coaches are giving him

You must have pionk confused with vesey for me.

Vesey is trash.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad