Breaking: World Juniors to be resumed during summer

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

swissdude

May 18, 2019
I think the relevance of the WJC is overestimated. Of course it shows which nations have a large talent pool and it may be interesting for the powerhouses but for the smaller nations it is uninteresting because there are individual years where there are hardly any competitive players. I still think it's primarily an event to promote the NHL Draft and give TSN another tournament of relevance. I mean who would really be interested in a best on best tournament with only 1992/1993 players?

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
I think the relevance of the WJC is overestimated. Of course it shows which nations have a large talent pool and it may be interesting for the powerhouses but for the smaller nations it is uninteresting because there are individual years where there are hardly any competitive players. I still think it's primarily an event to promote the NHL Draft and give TSN another tournament of relevance. I mean who would really be interested in a best on best tournament with only 1992/1993 players?

Perhaps and I do understand and respect your opinion but for many North Americans U20 is their thing. Certainly the CHL is hugely popular in Canada and both the NCAA and USHL are coming along and engaging millions of fans. My hope is that the same would happen in Europe.

Some way needs to be found to lend a bit of a hand to smaller hockey nations. Maybe those nations should be allowed to ice the U20 team they qualified with. For e.g. allowing those players that have just exceeded the junior age limit to help make things more competitive and interesting for their fans.

As it stands now those teams qualify but then have to start over for the tournament.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
It's as relevant to us here in Canada as the WHC is to European fans, relevant to the IIHF too in terms of promoting the sport and taking home some cash, they like that.

Great tournament to watch every year, some fantastic games, if you're a serious hockey fan you watch it.

Reactions: Fatass

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Yeah, that'll suck. It isn't like everyone isn't at the beach or anything in August. I do feel for the guys who thought this would be a stellar tournament. Last year too, imagine dreaming of being in this tournament all of your life in your home country and playing in an arena where no one is there. It was depressing to watch. Last year I thought, "Well, they'll have it in a normal place next year. Who is hosting it? Edmonton again? In Canada?" Boom, face palm. Yeah, don't give it to Canada for a while. That's two years of screwing up a beloved tournament and making a mockery of it. A day after Connor Bedard scores 4 goals in a game too. Dumb.

Grand Forks, ND. That was an awesome venue in 2005. Have it there the next time. There are enough Canadian fans where it feels like a home game but it is in North Dakota, because too many people have permanently lost their minds up here in Canada.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Or maybe they could participate under the name of the ROC that seems to work well in the Olympics.
Doping allegations vs starting an unprovoked and unjustified war while breaking international contracts are on a slightly different scale. Unfair advantage in sports with drugs vs firing missiles at daycares and children's hospitals. How do you even compare them?

Even if Russia will be allowed to compete, there will be huge protests and teams will boycott playing vs them. Like Poland's currently doing with football world cup.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Yeah, that'll suck. It isn't like everyone isn't at the beach or anything in August. I do feel for the guys who thought this would be a stellar tournament. Last year too, imagine dreaming of being in this tournament all of your life in your home country and playing in an arena where no one is there. It was depressing to watch. Last year I thought, "Well, they'll have it in a normal place next year. Who is hosting it? Edmonton again? In Canada?" Boom, face palm. Yeah, don't give it to Canada for a while. That's two years of screwing up a beloved tournament and making a mockery of it. A day after Connor Bedard scores 4 goals in a game too. Dumb.

Grand Forks, ND. That was an awesome venue in 2005. Have it there the next time. There are enough Canadian fans where it feels like a home game but it is in North Dakota, because too many people have permanently lost their minds up here in Canada.

On one hand you're disagreeing with playing it in a bubble and then on other hand saying that the bubble wasn't good enough. Yes, no I don't understand what you are saying.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Canada is the only country that throw together a well attended World Juniors with 10 months notice.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

You're off base with this post, BP.

2022 was a mess - on all sorts of levels. But, for every bad tournament Canada has held, we've put on 10 terrific ones. Let's get over it and move on, please.

Last edited:
Reactions: jj cale

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Doping allegations vs starting an unprovoked and unjustified war while breaking international contracts are on a slightly different scale. Unfair advantage in sports with drugs vs firing missiles at daycares and children's hospitals. How do you even compare them?

Even if Russia will be allowed to compete, there will be huge protests and teams will boycott playing vs them. Like Poland's currently doing with football world cup.

I've already apologized for my weak and inappropriate attempt at sarcasm. My point being that no matter what the Russians do they still get to compete.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
On one hand you're disagreeing with playing it in a bubble and then on other hand saying that the bubble wasn't good enough. Yes, no I don't understand what you are saying.

Our government screwed up two WJC tournaments in a row. A WJC is cancelled in Edmonton, but in L.A. there are 80,000 fans watching the Super Bowl. Enough. I am a Canadian and I'll say you can't trust holding this tournament in Canada at this moment.

You're off base with this post, BP.

2022 was a mess - on all sorts of levels. But, for every bad tournament Canada has held, we've put on 10 terrific ones. Let's get over it and move on, please.

Yes we have, probably the best tournaments have been held in Canada because they have broken all of the attendance records, starting in Winnipeg in 1999. Lots of memories over the years. But now? That's two in a row squandered. And then they remake it in the summer when everyone is on holidays. Have Canada host it again when Canada is committed to hosting it, with fans and as it was before. Until then, no.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Yes we have, probably the best tournaments have been held in Canada because they have broken all of the attendance records, starting in Winnipeg in 1999. Lots of memories over the years. But now? That's two in a row squandered. And then they remake it in the summer when everyone is on holidays. Have Canada host it again when Canada is committed to hosting it, with fans and as it was before. Until then, no.
We'll have to agree to disagree.

Reactions: canuck2010

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Our government screwed up two WJC tournaments in a row. A WJC is cancelled in Edmonton, but in L.A. there are 80,000 fans watching the Super Bowl. Enough. I am a Canadian and I'll say you can't trust holding this tournament in Canada at this moment.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Basically what you are talking about has nothing to do with hockey so I'll say that we'll just disagree and be done with it. Hold the tournament in Fussen and that will be a whole lot better.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Basically what you are talking about has nothing to do with hockey so I'll say that we'll just disagree and be done with it. Hold the tournament in Fussen and that will be a whole lot better.

I vote for Grand Forks, ND as I said previously.

But as for the Russia thing, let them compete. My goodness, I'm not that old, but arguably the best hockey of all-time was the Cold War era matches between Russia and Canada/U.S. If anything animosity makes sports better. Would anyone have cared if Bob Cole said "They're going home!" in regards to the Finns? No. But since it was the Soviets it was a big deal, and memorable, even 5 decades later.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
This tournament either has to be restarted completely or not happen at all.

There's only so much of a shit show that can be accepted before the competition is a complete joke.

Reactions: Mehar

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
Over the top comment. It will be fine / fun / terrific.
The medal games are basically locked in. Finland / USA / Canada / Sweden will all be in the final 4, unless the bracket is screwy. Most of the games will be one sided.

Politics aside, removing Russia from this tournament means it is objectively the weakest in the modern era. Personally I think they should just wait until Christmas and hope the situation with Russia and Ukraine improves.

There's also too many questions that need to be answered.

1. Whos eligible to play? if someone is above the age limit now but wasn't this past Christmas, are they forbidden from playing?

2. Do the stats for the games already played, count? is Owen Power still the only Canadian D-man with a hattrick?

3. How many teams are going to allow their first round pick compete in this when they want them to compete for a spot in the NHL in just a few weeks? I can't see the Habs giving Shane Wright the green light even though its possible hes not going to make the habs.

I was for the tournament being resumed but at this point, why? wait for Christmas and maybe Russia will get its act together and we can have a good completive tournament with the same rules and routine we always had with players who are hungry to make an impact for the upcoming draft.

Hold it in Florida where they don't have so many restrictions and lets hit the ice.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
I think they should just wait until Christmas

No, they shouldn't. Just because Canada failed as organizers of this tournament doesn't mean this age group of players should be deprived of the chance to complete the tournament. Preferably not in Canada but in the US, for example.

The opportunity is here, so let's do it. :thumbu:

Reactions: ORRFForever

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
The medal games are basically locked in. Finland / USA / Canada / Sweden will all be in the final 4, unless the bracket is screwy. Most of the games will be one sided.

Politics aside, removing Russia from this tournament means it is objectively the weakest in the modern era. Personally I think they should just wait until Christmas and hope the situation with Russia and Ukraine improves.

There's also too many questions that need to be answered.

1. Whos eligible to play? if someone is above the age limit now but wasn't this past Christmas, are they forbidden from playing?

2. Do the stats for the games already played, count? is Owen Power still the only Canadian D-man with a hattrick?

3. How many teams are going to allow their first round pick compete in this when they want them to compete for a spot in the NHL in just a few weeks? I can't see the Habs giving Shane Wright the green light even though its possible hes not going to make the habs.

I was for the tournament being resumed but at this point, why? wait for Christmas and maybe Russia will get its act together and we can have a good completive tournament with the same rules and routine we always had with players who are hungry to make an impact for the upcoming draft.

Hold it in Florida where they don't have so many restrictions and lets hit the ice.

1. U20 and U18 doesn't mean players cannot be 20 or 18 when the tournament happens. It's an age based on birth year. Players who have a Jan 1-5 birthday can be 20 and play in the U20, players born January-March can be 18 and play in the U18. The IIHF definition of U20 is

“Under 20” Age Category
The players participating in any IIHF Ice Hockey U20 World Championship must be eligible to compete as a male athlete of the male gender and be no younger than fifteen (15) years of age, and no older than twenty (20) years of age, on December 31 of the year in which the Championship Season ends. No under-age waiver is permitted.

So anyone who was eligible this past December could still be eligible pending their definition of championship season(does it extend into August or has the next one started by then?), but if the calendar has already flipped by then it would be the same rosters are the one next December which would just be dumb. I don't see them doing a half year cutoff so I expect anyone born in 2002 or later will be eligible still

2. Not sure about the stats. The tournament will be restarted but it'd be nice if the stats still counted. They might end up counting as exhibition the same as pre-tournament though

3. I can't see that many players being held back by NHL teams. NHL teams hold guys back because they're needed or could be needed in actual NHL games. A player could get hurt skating by himself in August, playing with other players in a pre-NHL camp scrimmage. I think a tournament like this would be a great buildup to an NHL camp for prospects. The only guys I could see maybe not participating are Raymond and Stutzle, but anyone not already NHL established shouldn't get held back because they might get hurt and are expected to make the NHL this year. This is a great stepping stone to prepare them. Could even be decent prep for Raymond and Stutzle

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
People being like upset about it happening is genuinely weird to me. Like this is more so about this age group of kids not losing the opportunity. If you aren't interested in hockey in August....then just don't watch it? lol I also think it is severely over stated how many players will be held back from this. Top prospects have been going to an exhibition summer showcase for years in the summer for the chance to audition for the audition for the actual tournament and people think there will be players backing out in mass or teams saying no? Sorry I find that hard to believe.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
People being like upset about it happening is genuinely weird to me. Like this is more so about this age group of kids not losing the opportunity. If you aren't interested in hockey in August....then just don't watch it? lol I also think it is severely over stated how many players will be held back from this. Top prospects have been going to an exhibition summer showcase for years in the summer for the chance to audition for the audition for the actual tournament and people think there will be players backing out in mass or teams saying no? Sorry I find that hard to believe.
Well said.

It's HF, so you could say the sun is coming up tomorrow and 50% of posters would bitch/complain. It is what it is.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

You can't be trusted to make a factual post.

Reactions: Jussi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad