Breaking: World Juniors to be resumed during summer

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
They really should move the tournament around when it's in Canada to avoid further burning out the main hockey markets. Let places actually miss hosting the tournament in order to sustain long term interest. Quebec City could be great, and Saskatchewan would probably be good to go before too long even after hosting in 2010. Among smaller locations London and Halifax would sell out and provide a great atmosphere while giving a break to the big cities.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Having said that, I am sure the IIHF and Hockey Canada will want to make $$$ - holding it in Quebec City / Montreal could work. Of course, Alberta is flush with cash and TSN will be there in August so that would also work.
Quoting myself...

I like Quebec City because they have a large arena and they'll want to show their Nordiques / hockey support. French Canadians are also quite good at supporting "one off" events <-- meant as a compliment.

As for the 2nd arena, TSN is going to want an arena where they can televise games but they won't need anything big. I'm sure there are many arenas around Montreal that will fill that need.

I still think TSN will convince the IIHF to hold 2023 in Alberta. They'll say, "There is only 4 months between tournaments and we don't want to haul our stuff across the country, let alone across the world, so let's just hold it here."

Add the fact that Calgary is not too far away and Alberta is flush with cash, and the IIHF will see Alberta as a safe / easy option and agree.

Last edited:
Reactions: SOLR

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Going forward, assuming Canada gets the tournament 4 times a decade, one tournament should be held in Montreal, one in Toronto, one in Vancouver and one in a smaller location.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
They really should move the tournament around when it's in Canada to avoid further burning out the main hockey markets. Let places actually miss hosting the tournament in order to sustain long term interest. Quebec City could be great, and Saskatchewan would probably be good to go before too long even after hosting in 2010. Among smaller locations London and Halifax would sell out and provide a great atmosphere while giving a break to the big cities.
This would require some foresight and vision from Hockey Canada though, something they are entirely bereft of.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
IMO Edmonton and the province of Alberta need to be given the Russia treatment and have the tournament stripped from them over their handling of the debacle this past winter. There is no way that the tournament should have been cancelled. It was sheer incompetence on the part of the organizers that caused that to happen.
That's a bridge too far. Give them a chance to make it right in August and December 2022.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
IMO Edmonton and the province of Alberta need to be given the Russia treatment and have the tournament stripped from them over their handling of the debacle this past winter. There is no way that the tournament should have been cancelled. It was sheer incompetence on the part of the organizers that caused that to happen.
It's weird I keep reading this...

At the exact same time the Spengler Cup was cancelled in Switzerland.
At the exact same time the Finnish Liiga had several teams in quarantine.
A few weeks later and the KHL cancelled the rest of their regular season and went straight to playoffs.

It wasn't just Canada cancelling things.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

A few weeks later and the KHL cancelled the rest of their regular season and went straight to playoffs.

Good point. Well said.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

You just know where that attitude comes from. Fans can be so downright petty on here.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
Pity Newfoundland doesn't have big enough arenas to host.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad