Player Discussion: Brayden Point - Part 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It's crazy how much his goal-scoring is based on awareness and positioning. Whether he's getting alone in front or handling the puck in traffic, it's all IQ.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

How the hell did we get so lucky to have this kid.

It's not necessarily luck. This is just what happens when you teach skill how to skate and think at this elite of a level. There's tons of guys like Point but they're only ever good at one or the other or suck at both. Luck is winning the lottery for Stamkos and still picking 2nd for Hedman.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
It is crazy how we found Kucherov in the second and Point in the third. They both were developing internally and grew into stars.

The 18 mil over thing was funny because many people thought we just use our tax and other cap circumvention methods to convince top ufas to sign down here at a super cheap price. Has this team/regime ever signed a big ufa before that wasn't our own player?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It's not necessarily luck. This is just what happens when you teach skill how to skate and think at this elite of a level. There's tons of guys like Point but they're only ever good at one or the other or suck at both. Luck is winning the lottery for Stamkos and still picking 2nd for Hedman.

As much as development has been a major part of Point's success, you can't teach his attitude. I think we knew we were drafting a gem when we got him. I remember a couple of old posters on this board saying it on his draft day.

Reactions: Hoek

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
As much as development has been a major part of Point's success, you can't teach his attitude. I think we knew we were drafting a gem when we got him. I remember a couple of old posters on this board saying it on his draft day.
His weak part skating became his strength. I think that has a lot to do with development, but he does have a great work ethic and high hockey iq.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
The 18 mil over thing was funny because many people thought we just use our tax and other cap circumvention methods to convince top ufas to sign down here at a super cheap price. Has this team/regime ever signed a big ufa before that wasn't our own player?
We have signed some big misses in big FA contracts aka Matt Carle. We have signed Marty St. Louis as a FA and that was huge in the long run, but no one cared or knew what we had at the time. Dave the captain was a great signing for us.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

I remember it well. I never did understand how a guy with his hands, IQ and work ethic fell that far because of his skating. Now, a lot has to go right for any prospect to pan out and I'd argue most either never make it or don't to this level because they aren't born with the "kill" factor Point has. Guys coming into drafts have hands, IQ and work ethic all day. Point wasn't any more special in that regard. But he was/is in that these 2 Cup runs he's proven that he is wired exactly like Gretzky, Brady, Jordan etc. No matter how many times he wins or produces he can't get enough. That's not a unique 1 in a 1000 players quality either. But players with all those ingredients are the exactly the guys we draft and we do it all the time. One of them was gonna get it right eventually and when he did. Holy crap.

It was really just a matter of time and I'm actually a little surprised we haven't found another Point as good as the real thing yet given our draft strategy. I guess if you count Kucherov that makes two

Reactions: Pierre Larouche

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
It was really just a matter of time and I'm actually a little surprised we haven't found another Point as good as the real thing yet given our draft strategy. I guess if you count Kucherov that makes two

Yes, the thing about special players is that they're also a dime a dozen. What?

We could do everything right and still go a decade without someone panning out like Point.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Of course there's a degree of luck to it, if it was that simple as "teaching skating and thinking" there'd be multiple superstars on every team.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
But we draft guys with Point's mental make up and commitment all the time. It takes luck that a guy develops into a player who thinks as fast as he skates and does it this well. But it's not luck that WE were the ones who found him. We'll do it again and no one should be shocked when it happens.

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Yes, the thing about special players is that they're also a dime a dozen. What?

We could do everything right and still go a decade without someone panning out like Point.

Let's try this again. To this day it's not his skill that kills you. We knew even when he was 18 he had 1st round skill but he was undersized and a below average skater. But it wasn't so remarkable you don't see it all over in a given draft. What you don't see is how the same guy kills you due to exactly what DFC said. "Awareness and positioning" And his skating is 2nd only to McDavid and maybe Larkin. When his IQ caught up to the speed of his game he became lethal. For a guy to learn how do both that well is what takes the decade like you said.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL

You really can't teach them to think at a high level. They either can or they can't. Hence why we will always put HockeyIQ as the most important attribute. If you don't have it, we won't draft you. Kucherov and Point both have that in bunches, now and in their draft years.

Reactions: Pierre Larouche

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Point ties Modin for 8th most goals in franchise history. Only 5 away from Richards too.

1. Steven Stamkos - 447
2. Vinny Lecavalier - 383
3. Marty St. Louis - 365
4. Nikita Kucherov - 222
5. Tyler Johnson - 161
6. Alex Killorn - 153
7. Brad Richards - 150
8. Freddy Modin - 145 (445 games)
8. Brayden Point - 145 (365 games)
10. Ondrej Palat - 129

Ad

Upcoming events