Brandon Prust | 2 | This is the end

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
No idea what Kassian's personal life was like? No, but we know he was in stage 1, was apparently on the market for a while, didn't return much, got in a bad situation soon after being dealt, and cleared waivers. We can infer some things from these events.

I wouldn't say "did a favour." More, what's best for both sides.

If there were other offers on the table, why no rumours? I mean factor in the return + time Kassian was on the market and there's at least circumstantial evidence.

I never said they didn't want Prust, I said he wasn't necessarily targeted. But "target" is ambiguous, maybe you can define what you mean. When I read target, I think you mean they had Prust on a short list of players they would accept in return for Kassian. That there were other options on the table, but Benning preferred to hold out until he could pry Prust from Montreal. In other words, if Prust wasn't part of the deal, Benning would have just held on to Kassian. I'd say there's zero evidence to support that position.

The way I feel it went down, after offering Kassian around the league for a while with no takers, Montreal expressed a willingness to take a chance on Zack. But it would have to be a buy low deal. That's when Prust became a target because he filled a role Benning identified as a need. You make it sound like Benning wouldn't deal Kassian unless the return was Prust, I see it as Benning was willing to take Prust because he at least filled a role they wanted to fill.

If you have any evidence Benning chose Prust over other potential deals, I'd like to see it. All evidence I'm aware of suggests Kassian was viewed as a toxic asset around the league. Prust filled an identified need but wasn't a piece they held on to Kassian until they could pry out of Montreal.

Both Benning and Linden outright said the team targeted Prust. To argue otherwise is rubbish and I really don't see the point in following you down wormholes here.

The team wanted Prust and it was a major pro scouting failure. Period. Attempting to excuse this is putting your head in the sand.

If they wanted to move Kassian on, they could have waived him - he would surely have been claimed at that point, and we wouldn't have had to take on a garbage prospect or give up a pick.

And there were plenty of rumours about other Kassian trades - in particular to Boston throughout 14-15.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I'm sure Brandon Prust was the first guy JB targeted after deciding to trade Kassian. The fact he had no value is plain enough to see to those who chose to.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Your logic leaps like a frog on a hot stove.

Just because Benning wanted to add another willing combatant to the roster doesn't mean he decided to make Prust for Kassian happen no matter what. You can't just ignore how long Kassian was rumoured to have been shopped. This doesn't equate to Benning holding out for Prust because Prust was their target.

You also can't ignore how complicated addiction treatment is. That's the most important element in all this, and one that is being reduced to irrelevant in this discussion. Seen it posted numerous times that Benning "should have just checked him into rehab." As if it was just that easy. One key to overcoming addiction is changing habits. How many times have you heard a smoker trying to quit saying "it's hardest after a meal or with my morning coffee." This speaks to the habit side of addiction, not just the physical side.

Montreal was willing to take a chance on Kassian, and Prust filled an identified need. Thus the deal got done. Doesn't mean Benning wouldn't have taken a different return for Kassian, but there's been zero rumours I've seen of other deals being available. And clearing waivers shows just how low Kassians league wide appeal is. Everything about this deal says moving Kassian was the priority, the return was secondary. Prust happened to kill 2 birds with one stone as he was the type of player they were looking to add, and it allowed them to move Kassian. No evidence to suggest they were targeting Prust over other offered deals though.

As bad as Prust is, he had a stretch of games where you could see the player he used to be. There was some potential being on a new team and in a contract year would squeeze a decent season out of Prust. Obviously didn't happen, but there weren't any other deals for Kassian (that we know about) on the table, and Kassian needed a change of scenery. Didn't work out for us, but if it does for Zack, then it was worth it imo.

Easily the best post in this thread. My props.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
No idea what Kassian's personal life was like? No, but we know he was in stage 1, was apparently on the market for a while, didn't return much, got in a bad situation soon after being dealt, and cleared waivers. We can infer some things from these events.

I wouldn't say "did a favour." More, what's best for both sides.

If there were other offers on the table, why no rumours? I mean factor in the return + time Kassian was on the market and there's at least circumstantial evidence.

I never said they didn't want Prust, I said he wasn't necessarily targeted. But "target" is ambiguous, maybe you can define what you mean. When I read target, I think you mean they had Prust on a short list of players they would accept in return for Kassian. That there were other options on the table, but Benning preferred to hold out until he could pry Prust from Montreal. In other words, if Prust wasn't part of the deal, Benning would have just held on to Kassian. I'd say there's zero evidence to support that position.

The way I feel it went down, after offering Kassian around the league for a while with no takers, Montreal expressed a willingness to take a chance on Zack. But it would have to be a buy low deal. That's when Prust became a target because he filled a role Benning identified as a need. You make it sound like Benning wouldn't deal Kassian unless the return was Prust, I see it as Benning was willing to take Prust because he at least filled a role they wanted to fill.

If you have any evidence Benning chose Prust over other potential deals, I'd like to see it. All evidence I'm aware of suggests Kassian was viewed as a toxic asset around the league. Prust filled an identified need but wasn't a piece they held on to Kassian until they could pry out of Montreal.

Stop embarrassing yourself.

Pump n Dump

Sep 2, 2009
North Vancouver, BC
Both Benning and Linden outright said the team targeted Prust. To argue otherwise is rubbish and I really don't see the point in following you down wormholes here.

The team wanted Prust and it was a major pro scouting failure. Period. Attempting to excuse this is putting your head in the sand.

If they wanted to move Kassian on, they could have waived him - he would surely have been claimed at that point, and we wouldn't have had to take on a garbage prospect or give up a pick.

And there were plenty of rumours about other Kassian trades - in particular to Boston throughout 14-15.

Now you are fantasizing.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Ugh, mentoring jokes now? We have moved off "good in scrums!" and "1-2-3-4!!!" and are now inserting mentoring jokes in every second post. Enough. It's aggravating, stupid and not humorous.

I agree. Our management is aggravating, stupid and not humorous. It's such a shame that this team has become the butt end of several jokes.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
seconded that there's no chance kassian would've cleared waivers in the offseason before the substance abuse program info was uncovered

guy had a pretty good second half of the regular season and was sorely missed during the calgary series

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad