Brandon Prust | 2 | This is the end

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
brandon-prust-nhl-vancouver-canucks-minnesota-wild-850x560.jpg

I suspect this will be the last Prust thread we'll need.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I wonder what happens if we can't find a taker for this bum. Don't want this guy rubbing shoulders with our prospects down on the farm spreading his entitled attitude.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
From the last thread :

Pump n Dump said:
I don't know where the "doing Kassian a favour" notion comes from. It does sound far fetched. Having said that, what evidence is there that Benning told Dorsett that he would trade for a fighter?

Benning literally said exactly this at the time of the trade. Said that during the contract negotiations with Dorsett, Dorsett said he wanted help in the fighting department and Benning promised to give it to him.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
I wonder what happens if we can't find a taker for this bum. Don't want this guy rubbing shoulders with our prospects down on the farm spreading his entitled attitude.

The Sestito treatment?

I'm optimistic that it won't come to that. I feel like his reputation around the league is still good enough to get something between a 5th round pick and a minor leaguer on an expiring contract.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
The Sestito treatment?

I'm optimistic that it won't come to that. I feel like his reputation around the league is still good enough to get something between a 5th round pick and a minor leaguer on an expiring contract.

Too bad we couldnt of flipped him to the Rangers instead of losing the 6th rounder

CCF

This is the year....
Feb 8, 2003
Across Canada
I like Prust. I can understand him wanting to play against the Rangers.

That being said, he doesn't look like a good fit with this team right now and his speed has certainly regressed.

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
From the last thread :

Benning literally said exactly this at the time of the trade. Said that during the contract negotiations with Dorsett, Dorsett said he wanted help in the fighting department and Benning promised to give it to him.

Hello Erik Gudbrandson.

Vrbata at 25% retained+Prust for Pirri and Gudbrandson

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
So can we at least get our 5th round pick back? Or will we have to package a 4th with him just to get a 7th?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I expect he'll be waived. Or we'll hear that they've 'patched things up' and he'll stay around.

The guy is completely done. No team has pro scouting THAT bad, do they?

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
From the last thread :

Your logic leaps like a frog on a hot stove.

Just because Benning wanted to add another willing combatant to the roster doesn't mean he decided to make Prust for Kassian happen no matter what. You can't just ignore how long Kassian was rumoured to have been shopped. This doesn't equate to Benning holding out for Prust because Prust was their target.

You also can't ignore how complicated addiction treatment is. That's the most important element in all this, and one that is being reduced to irrelevant in this discussion. Seen it posted numerous times that Benning "should have just checked him into rehab." As if it was just that easy. One key to overcoming addiction is changing habits. How many times have you heard a smoker trying to quit saying "it's hardest after a meal or with my morning coffee." This speaks to the habit side of addiction, not just the physical side.

Montreal was willing to take a chance on Kassian, and Prust filled an identified need. Thus the deal got done. Doesn't mean Benning wouldn't have taken a different return for Kassian, but there's been zero rumours I've seen of other deals being available. And clearing waivers shows just how low Kassians league wide appeal is. Everything about this deal says moving Kassian was the priority, the return was secondary. Prust happened to kill 2 birds with one stone as he was the type of player they were looking to add, and it allowed them to move Kassian. No evidence to suggest they were targeting Prust over other offered deals though.

As bad as Prust is, he had a stretch of games where you could see the player he used to be. There was some potential being on a new team and in a contract year would squeeze a decent season out of Prust. Obviously didn't happen, but there weren't any other deals for Kassian (that we know about) on the table, and Kassian needed a change of scenery. Didn't work out for us, but if it does for Zack, then it was worth it imo.

Toxic0n

We are all mumps
Dec 10, 2008
Tank nation

Press release! Then waived. Then Jim can explain to the big boss why he has ~4 million down in the minors. Then he gets canned.

One can hope.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Your logic leaps like a frog on a hot stove.

Just because Benning wanted to add another willing combatant to the roster doesn't mean he decided to make Prust for Kassian happen no matter what. You can't just ignore how long Kassian was rumoured to have been shopped. This doesn't equate to Benning holding out for Prust because Prust was their target.

You also can't ignore how complicated addiction treatment is. That's the most important element in all this, and one that is being reduced to irrelevant in this discussion. Seen it posted numerous times that Benning "should have just checked him into rehab." As if it was just that easy. One key to overcoming addiction is changing habits. How many times have you heard a smoker trying to quit saying "it's hardest after a meal or with my morning coffee." This speaks to the habit side of addiction, not just the physical side.

Montreal was willing to take a chance on Kassian, and Prust filled an identified need. Thus the deal got done. Doesn't mean Benning wouldn't have taken a different return for Kassian, but there's been zero rumours I've seen of other deals being available. And clearing waivers shows just how low Kassians league wide appeal is. Everything about this deal says moving Kassian was the priority, the return was secondary. Prust happened to kill 2 birds with one stone as he was the type of player they were looking to add, and it allowed them to move Kassian. No evidence to suggest they were targeting Prust over other offered deals though.

As bad as Prust is, he had a stretch of games where you could see the player he used to be. There was some potential being on a new team and in a contract year would squeeze a decent season out of Prust. Obviously didn't happen, but there weren't any other deals for Kassian (that we know about) on the table, and Kassian needed a change of scenery. Didn't work out for us, but if it does for Zack, then it was worth it imo.

Jim said those things. Dorsett confirmed it.

Not logic, just facts.

Amused To Death

Nov 6, 2009
Victoria
I expect he'll be waived. Or we'll hear that they've 'patched things up' and he'll stay around.

The guy is completely done. No team has pro scouting THAT bad, do they?
A name has value though. People wanted to trade for Miller in the offseason...like, Miller in his current state and with his deal had value!

The concept of Brandon Prust has value. Brandon Prust the player has no value

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015
Guess that's why he played like **** against the Rangers right?;)

Baby threw a temper tantrum about being scratched; Willie caved in & he still was useless.

I just can't understand why he doesn't do anything. Does not try and start anything, never see him even arguing with the opposition. Benning and Co have to feel completely let down by him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad