Value of: Brady Tkachuk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
You can criticize the package offered for not being enough incentive for them to move on from Draisaitl (and his great contract); but to call Tkachuk, Norris and a top-10 pick in a stacked draft bad pieces is laughable to the point that I don't think most of these guys have the maturity or experience to formulate anything other than the garbage they are spewing.

There's a difference between being a fan of a team and being a total homer. It's like they are personally insulted if someone is not offering the moon for their beloved players. I mean, I love players and respect them a lot for making it this far but they're not my "idols", I don't have any "idol" and I don't think it's a good thing to have any.

Look below and imagine if anyone says that in a conference room full of GMs, coaches, executives... They'd think it's a very poor attempt a joke but then wondering "wait, what if this guy was serious?"

The difference between Kassian and Tkachuk is not as big as you seem to think. Benson could be your 3rd liner and 1st could be anything. Diversify!

pedro-monkey.gif

Its not a serious offer.

They're making fun of Adele Dazeem's terrible proposal for Draisaitl to Ottawa. In that post, Adele Dazeem uses ridiculous homerish logic like "you need to diversify" to try and justify the deal.

I missed the sarcasm if there was any but 2 of these quotes are not from this thread. Some fans do come up with those ridiculous takes. Is it because they're very young? Very emo? Very ignorant? All of the above? I don't know but it's a good laugh at the very least, and FREE!

Last edited:
Reactions: Adele Dazeem

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Everyone forgets that Drai wasn’t a ppg guy until his 23 year old season if he would have signed the deal after that year he’d be making way more
At 21 years old he scored 77 points in 82 games which was the 7th highest point total in the entire NHL. Then he had a playoff run where he scored 16 points in 13 games with Lucic and Kassian/Slepyshev as his wingers.

So while he wasn't PPG+ until 23, he broke out at 21 while still on his ELC

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
There's a difference between being a fan of a team and being a total homer. It's like they are personally insulted if someone is not offering the moon for their beloved players. I mean, I love players and respect them a lot for making it this far but they're not my "idols", I don't have any "idol" and I don't think it's a good thing to have any.

Look below and imagine if anyone says that in a conference room full of GMs, coaches, executives... They'd think it's a very poor attempt a joke but then wondering "wait, what if this guy was serious?"

pedro-monkey.gif

Ok I missed the sarcasm but 2 of the quotes I have copied are not from this thread. Some fans do come up with those ridiculous takes. Is it because they're very young? Very emo? Very ignorant? All of the above? I don't know but it's a good laugh at the very least, and FREE!
Yeah they're really pissed about the Draisaitl to Ottawa thread because its pretty insulting to have some Sens fans dig in and try to convince them that Tkachuk + Norris is a good deal. "the difference is not as big as you think" "they need to diversify" "two 50 point players are worth a 120 point player" are things Sens fans were saying, so Oiler fans are repackaging those phrases in this thread with terrible offers intentionally. Obviously no one thinks Tkachuk is worth Kassian, Benson, and a 1st

But yeah thats usually how it goes. Extremist poster from Team A says ___, so Extremist posters from Team B feel the need to come over the top, usually when even more hyperbole.

The Oiler fan saying Tkachuk is a middle 6 winger is out to lunch. He's definitely a 1st line LW, at worst top 6 forward on a really deep team. But that said, he's not in the realm of value of Draisaitl, his name shouldn't even be brought up in this thread.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Career high of 45 points. I get that you like to overvalue your own players but in reality the difference between those two is not so huge, considering that you guys need to DIVERSIFY.
Lol, like Kassian

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
If I am Billy Armstrong I am throwing Brady and offer sheet. They have a surplus of picks, they have the cap space, they have 35+ million coming off the books next summer, they have several UFA's they will likely move at the TDL. Brady knows Keller well, Keith played in the organization.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
If I am Billy Armstrong I am throwing Brady and offer sheet. They have a surplus of picks, they have the cap space, they have 35+ million coming off the books next summer, they have several UFA's they will likely move at the TDL. Brady knows Keller well, Keith played in the organization.

what would they offer, term and money

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Yeah you're 100 percent right. Why would the Leafs do that? Leafs save 2.9 mill but lose the far superior player. Only thing I would entertain is a deal around Nylander.

You'd rather 'win' the trade than make your team better. Typical Leafs fan. lol

You also have imagination when it comes to how to use that extra cap space. Could be the difference between Reilly re-signing, or upgrading the awful bottom 6 for example.

Makaveli

Killuminati
Jan 15, 2008
Toronto
You'd rather 'win' the trade than make your team better. Typical Leafs fan. lol

You also have imagination when it comes to how to use that extra cap space. Could be the difference between Reilly re-signing, or upgrading the awful bottom 6 for example.
The difference between Marner and Brady is more than 2.9. Rather have Marner over Brady and a 3rd liner. Re-signing Rielly shouldn't be an issue if we decide to go that route and our bottom six isn't awful. People act like Marner is like 4 million overpaid or someshit, he is still one of the elite wingers in the game.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018

Arizona is one of the few teams that could not pressure Ottawa with lofty signing bonuses. Only way they land him is if they are giving up four 1sts, in which case.... well, I'll always remember Brady fondly and root for him throughout his career in AZ.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yeah they're really pissed about the Draisaitl to Ottawa thread because its pretty insulting to have some Sens fans dig in and try to convince them that Tkachuk + Norris is a good deal. "the difference is not as big as you think" "they need to diversify" "two 50 point players are worth a 120 point player" are things Sens fans were saying, so Oiler fans are repackaging those phrases in this thread with terrible offers intentionally. Obviously no one thinks Tkachuk is worth Kassian, Benson, and a 1st

But yeah thats usually how it goes. Extremist poster from Team A says ___, so Extremist posters from Team B feel the need to come over the top, usually when even more hyperbole.

The Oiler fan saying Tkachuk is a middle 6 winger is out to lunch. He's definitely a 1st line LW, at worst top 6 forward on a really deep team. But that said, he's not in the realm of value of Draisaitl, his name shouldn't even be brought up in this thread.

1) it shouldn't be "insulting". They are just fans of a team, they are not Leon's brother or mom

2) Maybe I missed because I don't read 100% of posts, but I haven't seen many Sens fans "dig in and try to convince"

3) it wasn't only Tkachuk + Norris but there was also a 1st round pick who is very likely to be top-10 in a really great draft. These 3 pieces are not worth typical "1st round picks", they are very high end pieces and not "insulting" in any way, shape or form.

4) Tkachuk has been a ~52 pts forward so far in his career but that was from 19 y/o to 21 y/o and on a rebuilding team lacking good veterans. As talent around will grow, his production will as well. Josh Norris was a bit in the same boat but he only played his 21 y/o rookie season, where he produced at a 52 pts pace. And he was figurig it out as the season went along, and got 12 goals and 20 points in his last 25 games.

5) So "two 50 point players" is disingenuous and I personally argued about that. They have produced 52 pts per 82 games in their 19 y/o to 21 y/o season on a rebuilding team with not much veteran talent. At that age, Draisaitl was "only" a 59 pts forward but he broke out since, which is why these 3 pieces were proposed. It's not the best proposal ever, maybe it's not enough and Edmonton has no reason to do it but acting like it was "outrageous" just shows some very deep homerism.

But agreed on the hyperbole, if people could control it a bit and be reasonable, things would maybe not get out of hand quickly

Last edited:

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
Arizona is one of the few teams that could not pressure Ottawa with lofty signing bonuses. Only way they land him is if they are giving up four 1sts, in which case.... well, I'll always remember Brady fondly and root for him throughout his career in AZ.
They could offer what? upto 10.1 AAV before they get to the 4, 1st round picks.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
1) it shouldn't be "insulting". They are just fans of a team, they are not Leon's brother or mom

2) Maybe I missed because I don't read 100% of posts, but I haven't seen many Sens fans "dig in and try to convince"

3) it wasn't only Tkachuk + Norris but there was also a 1st round pick who is very likely to be top-10 in a really great draft. These 3 pieces are not worth typical "1st round picks", they are very high end pieces and not "insulting" in any way, shape or form.

4) Tkachuk has been a ~52 pts forward so far in his career but that was from 19 y/o to 21 y/o and on a rebuilding team lacking good veterans. As talent around will grow, his production will as well. Josh Norris was a bit in the same boat but he only played his 21 y/o rookie season, where he produced at a 52 pts pace. And he was figurig it out as the season went along, and got 12 goals and 20 points in his last 25 games.

5) So "two 50 point players" is disingenuous and I personally argued about that. They have produced 52 pts per 82 games in their 19 y/o to 21 y/o season on a rebuilding team with not much veteran talent. At that age, Draisaitl was "only" a 59 pts forward but he broke out since, which is why these 3 pieces were proposed. It's not the best proposal ever, maybe it's not enough and Edmonton has no reason to do it but acting like it was "outrageous" just shows some very deep homerism.

But agreed on the hyperbole, if people could control it a bit and be reasonable, things would maybe not get out of hand quickly
I've corrected several fans on this already.

Draisaitl was 8th in the NHL in points (77 points in 82 games) in his 3rd season, then as a center away from McDavid put up 16 points in 13 playoff games- while still on his ELC. The same exact season Tkachuk just finished and younger than Norris is now. He was already breaking out into a star at 21 years old. Not a "59" point player, he never finished with 59 points in a season by the way.

Yeah multiple sense fans tried to dig in and giving weak logic why this trade is "fair" or even turned it down. A top 10 first round pick isn't that valuable compared to an 25 year old MVP winning center with term signed at a steal of a AAV, it doesn't change the trade in any significant manner- especially when the Oilers need to win with McDavid now.

Your argument that they are better than 50 point players seems shaky. How is calling them that disingenuous? If anything its generous since neither of them ever hit 50 points before.

Last edited:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Basically with an offersheet... if you're remotely okay paying the price on the contract... it will be matched. Kotkaniemi probably justifies a 3M salary... not 6m.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
I think Tkachuk has much greater value amongst NHL types than he does on HF. Don't take this as gospel, but I noticed he is ranked super high fantasy-wise (by NHL.com) for this upcoming season amongst forwards: Fantasy hockey top 100 forward rankings (nhl.com)

Before I even click on the link, I’m going to assume his value in fantasy hockey stems mainly from the amount of shots, hits, & PIMs he generates.

Fantasy value =/= Trade value

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What’s the dollar/term delta between B. Tkachuk and Drake Batherson? Production wise there was a difference of 2 points and they each scored 17 goals, they are about one inch difference in height and one year apart in age. Both play a rambunctious power-agitator game, and I wouldn’t classify Tkachuk’s skillset as high, high end finesse with unlimited ceiling.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Nurse got the same amount of points and plays 27 minutes a night.
Imagine being a “Star” forward that doesn’t outscore Nurse
Nurse has had one good year in a really bad division.
Horrible contract….. and I’m not sure why he is being discussed here. Is it because there is fear Brady will get an equally terrible contract?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I think Tkachuk has much greater value amongst NHL types than he does on HF. Don't take this as gospel, but I noticed he is ranked super high fantasy-wise (by NHL.com) for this upcoming season amongst forwards: Fantasy hockey top 100 forward rankings (nhl.com)

Finally a bit of reality in this thread. The value of an asset/product is determined by supply and demand. Tkachuk would have a much higher value than his "stats" would normally command because real GMs would kill to have him. That's how value works.

Forgot to answer this. Agree with this until you say "his name shouldn't even be brought up in this thread"... I mean, if Draisaitl was to be traded, Tkachuk is exactly the type of asset coming back. Now, it doesn't mean the Oilers have any reason or need to trade Draisaitl. If they HAD TO rebuild though, then maybe it would be different. When Karlsson was traded, he was still a top D-man and look at the pieces returned, a 1st and Norris were by far the best pieces, coincidentally 2 pieces in this proposal

Are you saying Draisaitl's value now is much much higher than what Karlsson's value was?

I've corrected several fans on this already.

Draisaitl was 8th in the NHL in points (77 points in 82 games) in his 3rd season, then as a center away from McDavid put up 16 points in 13 playoff games- while still on his ELC. The same exact season Tkachuk just finished and younger than Norris is now. He was already breaking out into a star at 21 years old. Not a "59" point player, he never finished with 59 points in a season by the way.

Yeah multiple sense fans tried to dig in and giving weak logic why this trade is "fair" or even turned it down. A top 10 first round pick isn't that valuable compared to an 25 year old MVP winning center with term signed at a steal of a AAV, it doesn't change the trade in any significant manner- especially when the Oilers need to win with McDavid now.

Your argument that they are better than 50 point players seems shaky. How is calling them that disingenuous? If anything its generous since neither of them ever hit 50 points before.

Maybe I should have explained my math but 59 pts per 82 games was the average of Draisaitl first 3 seasons (19 to 21 y/o), exactly like Tkachuk. We know Draisaitl broke out and is now a top NHL player, that's not being argued. The argument is that 21 y/o is pretty young and what a player has done by that age doesn't entirely reveal you what he'll be able to do in the future.

I don't disagree with many of the things you said, I also said several times that the Oilers have no reason to make this trade. And while I'd usually agree with the "value of a top-10 pick", this year is another year where the top-10 is going to be madly stacked. These high end hockey players (of course, if you know what you're doing at the draft table) on their ELCs are extremely valuable. I suggest you keep track of Jake Sanderson when he arrives.

What is disingenuous is calling them like that when they clearly have space to grow (due to age, experience, team progression, QoT, etc). This trade proposal means teams would acquire these players for what they will do GOING FORWARD, not for what they have done in the past.

Last edited:

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
If he really wants north of 8.4 per I doubt teams are going to line up to give up the assets to trade for him and then sign him to that. I know he’s physical and good defensively but for that ask you have to show you can be more than a 50 pt winger.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Finally a bit of reality in this thread. The value of an asset/product is determined by supply and demand. Tkachuk would have a much higher value than his "stats" would normally command because real GMs would kill to have him. That's how value works.

Forgot to answer this. Agree with this until you say "his name shouldn't even be brought up in this thread"... I mean, if Draisaitl was to be traded, Tkachuk is exactly the type of asset coming back. Now, it doesn't mean the Oilers have any reason or need to trade Draisaitl. If they HAD TO rebuild though, then maybe it would be different. When Karlsson was traded, he was still a top D-man and look at the pieces returned, a 1st and Norris were by far the best pieces, coincidentally 2 pieces in this proposal

Are you saying Draisaitl's value now is much much higher than what Karlsson's value was?

Maybe I should have explained my math but 59 pts per 82 games was the average of Draisaitl first 3 seasons (19 to 21 y/o), exactly like Tkachuk. We know Draisaitl broke out and is now a top NHL player, that's not being argued. The argument is that 21 y/o is pretty young and what a player has done by that age doesn't entirely reveal you what he'll be able to do in the future.

I don't disagree with many of the things you said, I also said several times that the Oilers have no reason to make this trade. And while I'd usually agree with the "value of a top-10 pick", this year is another year where the top-10 is going to be madly stacked. These high end hockey players (of course, if you know what you're doing at the draft table) on their ELCs are extremely valuable. I suggest you keep track of Jake Sanderson when he arrives.

What is disingenuous is calling them like that when they clearly have space to grow (due to age, experience, team progression, QoT, etc). This trade proposal means teams would acquire these players for what they will do GOING FORWARD, not for what they have done in the past.
1) Draisaitl doesn't belong in this thread. There is no way he is traded, even if he was it'd be for a centerpiece a lot better than Brady Tkachuk. I don't know if there is a single asset in the NHL more valuable than him. Even compared to McDavid, Mackinnon, Pasta etc his production combined with that AAV/contract length is unmatched.

2) Yes Draisaitl's value is much much higher than Karlsson's when he was traded. Draisaitl is a current top 3 player signed longterm and he is currently in his prime sweeping the Hart/Lindsay/Art Ross just last year. Karlsson was already coming down from his peak (2012-16) when he was dealt, wasn't a top 3 player and most importantly- was an impending UFA, which makes a huge difference in how valuable he is.

3) Okay well that doesn't paint the best picture, Draisaitl clearly wasn't NHL ready his 1st season, he was terrible. So in that sense kudos to Brady for being NHL ready in his D+1. But the whole 59 points thing fails to mention 2014-17 that was a significantly lower scoring era than today, 77 points was 8th in the scoring race in 2017. In 2019 77 points was 32nd in the scoring race.
While yes these players are obviously young enough to continue improving, you can't say with any certainty that they're more than what they've proven. Hell even Draisaitl could hypothetically continue improving, I think he has improved every single season of his career, but he is definitely closer to a finished product than Norris/Tkachuk.

4) These are high end hockey players? 2015 is probably going to go down as the best draft of all time. In the top 15 we have Strome (a very underwhelming pick who is a 3rd liner), Hanifin (an extremely underwhelming pick since he was a surefire #1D who ended up being a #3 dman), Zacha (a 3rd liner), Meier (a 2nd line winger), Crouse (a 4th liner), Gurianov (a middle 6 winger), Zboril (a bottom pairing dman/AHL tweener), Debrusk (a middle 6 winger), and Senyshyn (a complete bust). And this draft looks a lot better than 2022 or 2023. Only 5 of the top 15- McDavid, Eichel, Marner, Werenski, and Rantanen look like stars. You're very much overrating the value of picks.

What does Jake Sanderson have to do with this? He's suppose to be the evidence of how valuable a top 10 pick is?
HFBoards TOP 50 Prospects Ranking #50 FINAL
He was ranked the 10th best prospect a month ago. Thats good but not world beating by any means.
You think the Oilers getting a Sanderson level prospect with Ottawa's 2022 first who might make the team in 2024 is desirable to them? Getting a cup with McDavid is their only goal. This move is the antithesis of how to excute that plan.

5) It is disingenuous to call them anything more than what they are. 40-50 point players with lots of room to grow? For sure, thats a very fair description. Can you value them as 60 or 70 point players because thats what you think they'll become? Absolutely not, theres no certainties like that.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Tkachuk is the exact type of player that will be incredibly undervalued on HFBoards - a place that fetishizes anyone who is under 5'10.

If he is, in fact, ever traded, or when signs his UFA contract in 4 years, people here will no doubt freak out when they realize how differently NHL GM's view him.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
What’s the dollar/term delta between B. Tkachuk and Drake Batherson? Production wise there was a difference of 2 points and they each scored 17 goals, they are about one inch difference in height and one year apart in age. Both play a rambunctious power-agitator game, and I wouldn’t classify Tkachuk’s skillset as high, high end finesse with unlimited ceiling.

I wouldn't classify Tkachuk's skillset as high as Batherson's, it's maybe even below it. I can understand Tkachuk commanding more money because he has the pedigree and has more NHL seasons under his belt. But anything above $7m is a joke for this guy.

If I'm the Sens I really want to know what I can get for him in a trade, because his contract demands are a problem for the club. They can't pay him that much more than all the similarly valued talent they have, because all of their top six forwards will demand $8m+ if Tkachuk gets it.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Batherson is less proven but will probably be the better player going forward. Much better offensive skill-set.

His contract will be a steal, while anything above 7M for Brady is an overpayment.

Reactions: SENStastic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad