Votes: 342 45.1%
  • Mitch Marner

Votes: 416 54.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Too many people take the default position that physical player = automatic clutch playoff performer.

Josh Anderson is a perfect example of a guy with a similar style who absolutely flops when the post season starts.
. You example isn't even close. Brady is twice the player Josh is.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
Marner’s game is basically pass it to the point, someone deflects it and he gets an assist and is invisible for the rest of the game.

Tkachuk is a warrior. Battler. Captain. Ironically, the Leafs need a Brady Tkachuk to get over that hump.

• Haha
Reactions: mclaren55

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Probably Marner, excellent two way play on top of the production.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
. You example isn't even close. Brady is twice the player Josh is.

He definitely IS a much better player, but it's irrelevant to my point - that we can't just assume that because a player is physical they're going to be clutch in the post season.

As of right now Brady is a total question mark in that regard because he's never played a game in that situation in the NHL

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
He definitely IS a much better player, but it's irrelevant to my point - that we can't just assume that because a player is physical they're going to be clutch in the post season.

As of right now Brady is a total question mark in that regard because he's never played a game in that situation in the NHL
Yes he is a total question mark. But IMO [which is what we all have] will have the same effect as he does the regular season.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Still Brady

What makes you think you know what Tkachuk's "normal" is? He just turned 23 last month.

Still Brady? Outside of these season Marner had blown him out in every category outside of physicality. 20ish games won't change that.

Reactions: Voight

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Ah yes.

The recurring cycle of 'Leafs have a good regular season, fans get their hopes up..... and they lose in the first round" It's a tale as old as time.

Almost as good as "Ottawa Senators battling for the first overall pick"

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Two high end players that play a completely different style of hockey. It’s easier to recognize the talent of Marner and while I’d give the edge to Marner, it’s hard to ignore the contributions of Tkachuk.

Marner never played on a rebuilding team, Leafs were exiting their rebuild when he started in 2016-17. He has had the opportunity to play with an elite player in Matthews right from the start

Tkachuk on the other hand had a promising rookie season where he had the opportunity to play with a great player too in Mark Stone but he got traded at the deadline. His other regular partners were Colin White and Chris Tierney. People need to let that sink in. Since then, he played a lot with pure rookies, be it Batherson, Norris or Stutzle (19-20 y/o) and now he's still playing with these guys (but more developed) and Giroux

Marner vs Tkachuk

19 y/o : 0.25 GPG, 0.79 PPG vs 0.31 GPG, 0.63 PPG
20 y/o : 0.27 GPG, 0.84 PPG vs 0.30 GPG, 0.62 PPG
21 y/o : 0.32 GPG, 1.15 PPG vs 0.30 GPG, 0.64 PPG
22 y/o : 0.27 GPG, 1.14 PPG vs 0.38 GPG, 0.85 PPG
23 y/o : 0.36 GPG, 1.22 PPG vs 0.50 GPG, 1.21 PPG
24 y/o : 0.49 GPG, 1.35 PPG vs ??????
25 y/o : 0.38 GPG, 1.19 PPG vs ??????

Tkachuk has shown he was the better goal scorer but Marner is one of the best playmakers in the league so he has that over Brady. Marner has been far more productive so far but if you're looking at this season only, it's similar so it's about can Tkachuk keep it up? If he does, then I think everyone would take Brady if production is similar. He has to prove it over a much longer period of time though

The question of this poll is "Who do you take on your team today?"

Today means this season to me, not last or next so I voted Tkachuk

Still Brady? Outside of these season Marner had blown him out in every category outside of physicality. 20ish games won't change that.

False. Goals per game too. I am guessing shots might be another one.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
No shit. Marner is 3 years older. Brady was just entering the league 3 years ago.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Marner’s game is basically pass it to the point, someone deflects it and he gets an assist and is invisible for the rest of the game.

Tkachuk is a warrior. Battler. Captain. Ironically, the Leafs need a Brady Tkachuk to get over that hump.

The Sens can't make the playoffs with the warrior leading the team, but the Leafs need an unproven playoff performer to push them over the top.. Interesting.... Maybe he should start by getting his own team out of the toilet first.

Reactions: Atomos2 and Voight

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The Sens can't make the playoffs with the warrior leading the team, but the Leafs need an unproven playoff performer to push them over the top.. Interesting.... Maybe he should start by getting his own team out of the toilet first.

Ah come on, I have criticized Melnyk, Dorion and the coaching staff like a madman but stop acting as if the Sens have been FAILING to make the playoffs as LONG as the Leafs have failed to pass the 1st round...

100% of the roster players who were in the ECF 5 years ago (2017) have been gone for almost 3 years now. The Sens just went through a SCORCHED EARTH REBUILD

Their 2 (future) best players are 20 y/o...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad