Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk (LW) - Part XI

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Florida made a great trade with Calgary & Calgary over valued Huberdeau by a stupid wide margin. Who would you rather have on your team now, a soft skilled forward or a tough forward who can drag their team into the fight & also put up pts? Who do the players listen to in the room, the soft guy who won't defend his teammates or the guy that does? Who do the players want, the guy who intimidates the other team's best players or the guy that will be the one getting intimidated by Mathew? The last four teams in these playoffs all had tough teams. Whoever made the decision to not pay Mathew & instead trade him for Huberdeau should have been fired. Oh wait, he's in Toronto now & they lost in the first rd again.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
I mean, it sucks for them obviously, but they had no choice. Tkachuk wanted out of Calgary to go to Florida and had the leverage to get where he wanted to go long term or leave for free shortly after.

The value they did get out of it was actually the more surprising part imo.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I mean, it sucks for them obviously, but they had no choice. Tkachuk wanted out of Calgary to go to Florida and had the leverage to get where he wanted to go long term or leave for free shortly after.

The value they did get out of it was actually the more surprising part imo.
Did Calgary offer him $10.5 mil like Huberdeau is making? My guess is that he saw that Calgary was on the decline not incline & they were doing nothing to get better. Huberdeau IMO has been a huge disappointment with only 52 & 55 pts in the last two seasons. making $10.5 mil. I wonder how his teammates feel about that? Who would you prefer to have on the team?

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
M Tkatchuk filed for arbitration. Coming off a 104 point season and a +57 (He Lindholm and Gaudreau were 1, 2 and 3 in reverse order). He would have smoked the Flames for 11-12 M easily.

That was a; trade me or I will arib. you to death. Imagine arb. the next year, after his 109 points. He would have landed at 12-13 for 2023/2024.

He wanted out and Calgary made a bad trade. While I have huge doubts Miami would have given up Barkov, I wonder if they asked for him?

Weager's contract is okay AAV wise. It is 2 years too long, And/or needed to be back diving to ease a trade in another 2-3 years.

Did not know that. Thanks Loach.

Do you want to know the speed of a fart in vacuum?
Same as your posts?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Did Calgary offer him $10.5 mil like Huberdeau is making? My guess is that he saw that Calgary was on the decline not incline & they were doing nothing to get better. Huberdeau IMO has been a huge disappointment with only 52 & 55 pts in the last two seasons. making $10.5 mil. I wonder how his teammates feel about that? Who would you prefer to have on the team?
Of course they'd prefer Tkachuk, but you talk like there was a chance to keep him. That opportunity never existed for them, or at least was long gone since early on, and iirc is basically documented in print out there, but don't care enough to dig in to the history again. If I'm wrong, they made a mistake not extending him sooner, but from my memory, they tried numerous times to go long term with him and he wouldn't, especially if JG wasn't getting extended at an ungoddly amount as well, then he earmarked his way to Florida with the one team he was willing to sign long term with, at a discount as quoted by Zito the GM of Florida, so what're you gonna do.

If they hold out and trade him elsewhere he won't sign with, you're probably looking at a standard deadline return which is basically the extras they got on top of Weegs and Hubs anyways. Like us trading Stone for table scraps, that's basically a 1st + a middling prospect. And they'll still be able to ransom out Weegar's excellent value contract if they choose to.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Of course they'd prefer Tkachuk, but you talk like there was a chance to keep him. That opportunity never existed for them, or at least was long gone since early on, and iirc is basically documented in print out there, but don't care enough to dig in to the history again. If I'm wrong, they made a mistake not extending him sooner, but from my memory, they tried numerous times to go long term with him and he wouldn't, especially if JG wasn't getting extended at an ungoddly amount as well, then he earmarked his way to Florida with the one team he was willing to sign long term with, at a discount as quoted by Zito the GM of Florida, so what're you gonna do.

If they hold out and trade him elsewhere he won't sign with, you're probably looking at a standard deadline return which is basically the extras they got on top of Weegs and Hubs anyways. Like us trading Stone for table scraps, that's basically a 1st + a middling prospect. And they'll still be able to ransom out Weegar's excellent value contract if they choose to.
Agreed, that was my understanding that Tkachuk wanted Gaudreau to be re-signed too & when it was determined that Calgary was going in another direction he didn't want to stay at that point. I also don't remember what the plan was to replace Gaudreau's pts. I don't know how close Tkachuk & Gaudreau were, but we know how close Norris & Brady are, so we should be careful moving Norris out or it could quickly dismantle our team.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Agreed, that was my understanding that Tkachuk wanted Gaudreau to be re-signed too & when it was determined that Calgary was going in another direction he didn't want to stay at that point. I also don't remember what the plan was to replace Gaudreau's pts. I don't know how close Tkachuk & Gaudreau were, but we know how close Norris & Brady are, so we should be careful moving Norris out or it could quickly dismantle our team.
If Brady is going to be a diva and throw a fit about his buddy Norris than he isn’t the right fit to be the Sens captain.

Reactions: DJB

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If Brady is going to be a diva and throw a fit about his buddy Norris than he isn’t the right fit to be the Sens captain.
I'm quite sure Brady will be a pro regardless of what happens & keep his opinions to himself although this new generation are much quicker to express themselves since players have a lot more power today. And he is a good enough player that every team in the NHL would want him on their team. People are human, they have feelings when it comes to some things like friends, maybe he will accept it & move on or maybe he will be like Chara when the Sens moved Hossa. Was Chara a Diva? Why did Boston make him their Captain after the incident?

Reactions: BigRig4

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Florida made a great trade with Calgary & Calgary over valued Huberdeau by a stupid wide margin. Who would you rather have on your team now, a soft skilled forward or a tough forward who can drag their team into the fight & also put up pts? Who do the players listen to in the room, the soft guy who won't defend his teammates or the guy that does? Who do the players want, the guy who intimidates the other team's best players or the guy that will be the one getting intimidated by Mathew? The last four teams in these playoffs all had tough teams. Whoever made the decision to not pay Mathew & instead trade him for Huberdeau should have been fired. Oh wait, he's in Toronto now & they lost in the first rd again.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
I agree with everything, except the M.Tkachuk is “tough and stands up for teammates”. He’s a rat, stirs shit up but doesn’t fight unless it’s a rookie below his weight class. He doesn’t stand up for anybody. But he does play the style of game that helps teams win, and he puts up clutch points. All IMO.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Norris getting traded because of fear over his injuries isn't the same as Gaudreau walking. Gaudreau was a 100 point superstar and him leaving made the Flames less competitive. The idea behind a Norris trade would be to make the Senators more competitive.

No one except Brady can say how he would feel about Norris getting traded. I would imagine that if Norris is traded because his contract presents a competitive disadvantage for the team, that someone who wants to compete and win would be on board, even if it upset them on a personal level.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I agree with everything, except the M.Tkachuk is “tough and stands up for teammates”. He’s a rat, stirs shit up but doesn’t fight unless it’s a rookie below his weight class. He doesn’t stand up for anybody. But he does play the style of game that helps teams win, and he puts up clutch points. All IMO.
Mathew has fought a lot of guys especially in the early days including some guys considered heavyweights in the NHL. Is this about him going after Sanderson? Unless we have deterrants against that kind of think it will continue to happen especially in the playoffs. IMO he does exactly what should be done, go after their best player & take him off their game & that becomes an advantage for your team. Anyone who has ever played competitive sports at a high level should know that, if you are a star you have a target on your back, that's why they always say to have your head on a swival because they are coming after you every chance they get, it's a contact sport.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
HOWEVER, if Norris was moved out, it might create $8M in salary cap dollars to pay to another player acquired via trade or UFA signing.

Mathew has fought a lot of guys especially in the early days including some guys considered heavyweights in the NHL. Is this about him going after Sanderson? Unless we have deterrants against that kind of think it will continue to happen especially in the playoffs. IMO he does exactly what should be done, go after their best player & take him off their game & that becomes an advantage for your team. Anyone who has ever played competitive sports at a high level should know that, if you are a star you have a target on your back, that's why they always say to have your head on a swival because they are coming after you every chance they get, it's a contact sport.
I think the Senators have never targeted another team's top players; we should have, but I cannot recall any incidences of it.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
players not wanting to stay in ottawa is bullshit.

hossa wanted to stay, chara wanted to stay, alfredsson wanted to stay, karlsson wanted to stay, stone wanted to stay. stutzle and sanderson both signed 8 year contracts.

all it comes down to is winning. build a core of guys who are winners together and you will be able to re-sign and attract players. can you lose some sure? but using it as an excuse that you can't win is bs.
So many good players who said they wanted to stay, but didn't! I think it was money!

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Was Melnyk.
They were offered decent money, just wanted more.
Look at Karlsson for example, Bruce said was offered 10 million, or maybe 1-200k more as a last offer.
Karl took the 11.5 million.He was still offered a fair dollar, Sens got lucky he didn’t take the 10, or a hair over.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Both Andersson & Markstrom have NTC & could nix this deal but with this deal Calgary would move up in the draft, move out their expensive $6 mil goalie & acquire a top pairing LD. They have two other good RD & can afford to move Andersson & if they could acquire a good UFA LD would have the makings of a decent top 4.

Ott with one deal acquire a #1 goalie (although older) & an experience good top 4 RD & hopefully have given themselves an opportunity to be a playoff team next season. They also acquire another 2nd rd pick which they can use to select a good player in the top 41 picks or use it to move up to get the player they want. Chychrun also has a NMC & may not want to go to Calgary.

To Calgary: 7th OA, Korpisalo G, Chychrun LD, Joseph LW/RW & ($11.550 mil)
To Ottawa: 9th OA, 41st OA, Markstrom G, Andersson RD ($10.550 mil) - difference $1 mil

Sign UFAs - Sprong RW (3 yrs @ $4 mil)

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Stutzle - Pinto ($6) - Sprong ($4)
Ostapchuk - Greig - Giroux
Kelly - Kastelic - MacEwan - $51 mil

- IMO top nine has improved with the addition of Sprong RW & Ostapchuk C/LW
- Sprong adds more offence & Ostapchuk can play C or LW, the PK & good defensively

Chabot - Andersson
Sanderson - Zub
Kleven - JBD/Hamonic - $28 mil

- IMO the defence has improved with the addition of Andersson RD
- Hamonic is in his last yr & will likely share the 3rd pairing RD spot with JBD

Markstrom - Forsberg/Sogard - $9 mil = $88 mil
- IMO the goaltending has improved with the addition of Markstrom G
- Forsberg will be in his last yr & I expect that next season Sogaard will push for that spot

HOWEVER, if Norris was moved out, it might create $8M in salary cap dollars to pay to another player acquired via trade or UFA signing.

I think the Senators have never targeted another team's top players; we should have, but I cannot recall any incidences of it.
A healthy Norris could be a 50 - 60 pt player on this roster, or more.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Both Andersson & Markstrom have NTC & could nix this deal but with this deal Calgary would move up in the draft, move out their expensive $6 mil goalie & acquire a top pairing LD. They have two other good RD & can afford to move Andersson & if they could acquire a good UFA LD would have the makings of a decent top 4.

Ott with one deal acquire a #1 goalie (although older) & an experience good top 4 RD & hopefully have given themselves an opportunity to be a playoff team next season. They also acquire another 2nd rd pick which they can use to select a good player in the top 41 picks or use it to move up to get the player they want. Chychrun also has a NMC & may not want to go to Calgary.

To Calgary: 7th OA, Korpisalo G, Chychrun LD, Joseph LW/RW & ($11.550 mil)
To Ottawa: 9th OA, 41st OA, Markstrom G, Andersson RD ($10.550 mil) - difference $1 mil

Sign UFAs - Sprong RW (3 yrs @ $4 mil)

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Stutzle - Pinto ($6) - Sprong ($4)
Ostapchuk - Greig - Giroux
Kelly - Kastelic - MacEwan - $51 mil

- IMO top nine has improved with the addition of Sprong RW & Ostapchuk C/LW
- Sprong adds more offence & Ostapchuk can play C or LW, the PK & good defensively

Chabot - Andersson
Sanderson - Zub
Kleven - JBD/Hamonic - $28 mil

- IMO the defence has improved with the addition of Andersson RD
- Hamonic is in his last yr & will likely share the 3rd pairing RD spot with JBD

Markstrom - Forsberg/Sogard - $9 mil = $88 mil
- IMO the goaltending has improved with the addition of Markstrom G
- Forsberg will be in his last yr & I expect that next season Sogaard will push for that spot

A healthy Norris could be a 50 - 60 pt player on this roster, or more.
Why is Calgary eating Korpses contract? Honestly I don't get any of your ..... anything. From a reality stand point.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
They were offered decent money, just wanted more.
Look at Karlsson for example, Bruce said was offered 10 million, or maybe 1-200k more as a last offer.
Karl took the 11.5 million.He was still offered a fair dollar, Sens got lucky he didn’t take the 10, or a hair over.

They had no plans of paying EK 10, they would have signed him and traded him.

If Melnyk was a decent owner all of Alfredsson, Karlsson and Stone would have come back but no one wanted to take discount so that Melnyk can pocket the money instead of spending it on the team.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Why is Calgary eating Korpses contract? Honestly I don't get any of your ..... anything. From a reality stand point.
Isn't it obvoius? They reduce their cost in goaltending by $2 mil & at the same time they get a vet goalie behind their young goaltender for the next couple of yrs. Korpisalo is the transition piece at a cheaper salary that gives then some time since it seems they want to move on from Markstrom. Which is the better tandem, Korpisalo & Forsberg or Korpisalo & Wolf? Is Calgary making the playoffs next yr? Highly doubt it. IMO they are starting the process of rebuilding.

If Korpisalo has a bounce back yr, as Talbot did in LA, his value would go up. Calgary is an aging team on the decline & are starting to make moves to reduce their expensive roster & build up their prospect pool for the future.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
They had no plans of paying EK 10, they would have signed him and traded him.

If Melnyk was a decent owner all of Alfredsson, Karlsson and Stone would have come back but no one wanted to take discount so that Melnyk can pocket the money instead of spending it on the team.
Yep 10+ I’d be moving him as well, that was the play with Karl, especially with the injuries.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
M Tkatchuk filed for arbitration. Coming off a 104 point season and a +57 (He Lindholm and Gaudreau were 1, 2 and 3 in reverse order). He would have smoked the Flames for 11-12 M easily.

That was a; trade me or I will arib. you to death. Imagine arb. the next year, after his 109 points. He would have landed at 12-13 for 2023/2024.

He wanted out and Calgary made a bad trade. While I have huge doubts Miami would have given up Barkov, I wonder if they asked for him?

Weager's contract is okay AAV wise. It is 2 years too long, And/or needed to be back diving to ease a trade in another 2-3 years.

Did not know that. Thanks Loach.

Do you want to know the speed of a fart in vacuum?
5 mph?

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
Isn't it obvoius? They reduce their cost in goaltending by $2 mil & at the same time they get a vet goalie behind their young goaltender for the next couple of yrs. Korpisalo is the transition piece at a cheaper salary that gives then some time since it seems they want to move on from Markstrom. Which is the better tandem, Korpisalo & Forsberg or Korpisalo & Wolf? Is Calgary making the playoffs next yr? Highly doubt it. IMO they are starting the process of rebuilding.

If Korpisalo has a bounce back yr, as Talbot did in LA, his value would go up. Calgary is an aging team on the decline & are starting to make moves to reduce their expensive roster & build up their prospect pool for the future.
From my understanding, CGY owner doesn’t do rebuilds.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He can play too. Very good playmaker . Different style than Brady who is more of a power forward.. Matthews skills are finer tuned

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I'm quite sure Brady will be a pro regardless of what happens & keep his opinions to himself although this new generation are much quicker to express themselves since players have a lot more power today. And he is a good enough player that every team in the NHL would want him on their team. People are human, they have feelings when it comes to some things like friends, maybe he will accept it & move on or maybe he will be like Chara when the Sens moved Hossa. Was Chara a Diva? Why did Boston make him their Captain after the incident?
I suspect that money was also a factor in Chara's decision to leave. I recall reading that the Senators offered Chara and Redden the same amount of $6M per season and Chara rejected it. Redden accepted.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
From my understanding, CGY owner doesn’t do rebuilds.
The Senators owner didn't either... He did a sell off... the rebuild well here we are

I suspect that money was also a factor in Chara's decision to leave. I recall reading that the Senators offered Chara and Redden the same amount of $6M per season and Chara rejected it. Redden accepted.
I think the Sens chose Redden over Chara did they not... Chara said he wanted to stay Chiarelli swooped in and signed him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad