Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk: Episode 5 - Management Strikes Back

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
MT started his approach above the face off dot with 3+ strides and the glide. Feels like he had about 10m+ of a targeted approach. I’ve seen less get called for charging.

Charging is 2+ strides in some leagues, sometimes a glide negates a charge. It’s hard to pin down the NHL’s rule beyond rule 42.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
MT started his approach above the face off dot with 3+ strides and the glide. Feels like he had about 10m+ of a targeted approach. I’ve seen less get called for charging.

Charging is 2+ strides in some leagues, sometimes a glide negates a charge. It’s hard to pin down the NHL’s rule beyond rule 42.

Not sure it helps for this particular case, but the NHL's players safety does videos to clarify the leagues interpretation of rules.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I disagree.

Simply because we all know that's not how it works in real life. Consider that a hit can be perfectly legal but can also be be unecessary or predatory. If I hit a player with 10 seconds left in the game for example, even if the hit is completely legal you're definitely going to get retaliation.

Not only that but generally speaking fighting after a hit whether it is clean or not sends a message to the other team: you can't take runs at our players without expecting an answer. Otherwise players from the other team would run after our guys and wouldn't expect any consequences unless the hit was illegal. Legal hits injure players and bottom line no team or player likes to be hit or manhandled. This is pride more than anything so in my mind it's simply not realistic to run after guys and not expect a reaction.

The instigator penalty is there for that and it gives the advantage to the other team. Illegal hits are penalized and fighting a player who doesn't want to fight is as well. The player that did the hit did his job, he created a PP for his team and hit an opposing player. The player that fought sent a message to the player that made the hit, don't do that again, and if you do, expect to fight.

If you don't answer you'll get absolutely run over by the other team. This notion that you shouldn't have to fight after a legal hit is a new thing here and it makes no sense IMO. Tkachuk knew full well that was coming for him because he ran Kassian twice in that game. If Duclair got hit like that twice in a game, even though the hit was legal, I surely hope somebody would step in and send a message.

Except all your examples aren't really relevant to what happened.

1. It wasn't the end of the game it was a tie game where Tkachuk was trying to get his guys an edge
2. Fighting after a hit MAY send a message but a fight has to have two willing combatants. Tkachuk didn't want to fight nor did he have to.
3. Why would Tkachuk fight after throwing a legal hit ? IF Kassian really wanted to send a message and wasn't reacting off of himself getting hit he should have hit someone else back legally and not taken a 4 min penalty.

The best way to get back at the other team is to throw another legal check, fight (two people who are willing to) or score on them. kassian didn't chose any of those options

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Not sure it helps for this particular case, but the NHL's players safety does videos to clarify the leagues interpretation of rules.

Thanks for sharing. This video is mostly about charging when supplemental discipline is warranted. From the videos I saw MT could have received a 2:00 penalty and probably wouldn't be needing supplemental discipline.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Thanks for sharing. This video is mostly about charging when supplemental discipline is warranted. From the videos I saw MT could have received a 2:00 penalty and probably wouldn't be needing supplemental discipline.

Yeah, my initial reaction to the hit was it looked like a borderline charge, but given how quick Kassian bounced back up the refs let it go. It was reminiscent of the types of hits Torres would make imo when he saw the guy in a vulnerable position (not aware and not a lot of room to maneuver coming from behind the net) and took advantage.

Reactions: Sweatred

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
I hope he does one of the drills where he has to make sharp turns around pylons and he ends up falling all over the place and sending the pylons everywhere.

Reactions: aragorn

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Not complaining but weren't there some significantly more deserving options still out there?

St-Louis native, playing against his brother with their dad being a former Blues all-star?

I'd say this is the perfect replacement. The people of St-Louis will love it.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
St-Louis native, playing against his brother with their dad being a former Blues all-star?

I'd say this is the perfect replacement. The people of St-Louis will love it.
I wonder if that's why they chose Brady. Also because of his personality. Because there are definitely more skilled players out there to chose from.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Great experience for Brady. I'm very happy for him.

Whether folks think it's deserved or not, it's going to be something that really gives him a nice boost in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad