Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk: Episode 4 - A new hope

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
It's been nice to see him away from Stone, as he's shown flashes of being able to drive his own line.

It would be nice if we could start to develop some high end offensive pieces (Batherson, Brown, 2020 1st) and use Brady similar to how Calgary is using Matthew, driving play and carrying slightly subpar talent on the "2nd" line.

I don't think he should be named captain going into next season, but I also think the C needs to be left vacant until Brady grows into it, as he seems like the most natural fit on the team.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Idk about that. Simmonds plays a hard game with a bean pole frame. Tkachuk is going to be much bigger and much harder to handle. He's already playing at a 20g+ 50p pace. I've got to think he improves on those numbers significantly. I can't see his offence stagnating at his 18 year old pace.

Simmonds is lean as hell for sure, but he's strong as on ox. And he has 5x the balance and core strength that Brady has right now (Brady is still a kid after all).

Prime Simmonds would be an awesome result for BT. Maybe he peaks higher than that but if you get 6-7 years of Simmonds peak that is pretty amazing.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
I just want to hopefully see an eventual Tkachuk - Norris line.

The makings of a "three best friends that anyone could have" line...pending a 3rd member.

Sidenote, I hope and Brady should bring more to the table than Wayne Simmonds. I can't think of one attribute Simmonds has that Tkachuk doesn't have but better.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Idk about that. Simmonds plays a hard game with a bean pole frame. Tkachuk is going to be much bigger and much harder to handle. He's already playing at a 20g+ 50p pace. I've got to think he improves on those numbers significantly. I can't see his offence stagnating at his 18 year old pace.

Maybe he is just trying to lower his expectations. That way if he exceeds them he will be pleasantly surprised.

There were a handful of posters prior to the draft and after Tkachuk was drafted that suggested his max potential would be the points he is putting up this season and that he would most likely be a 30 point guy. Some of those posters might still not be convinced of his potential and will need to be proven otherwise.

At this point it seems like Brady potential is to be like his dad. He could end up as another Keith tkachuk. Now time will tell if he hits that potential bit the potential does seem there.

Just imagine what tkachuk will be like when he fills out his frame. With a bit more experience he will also capitalize on more of his chances.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

I compared him to guys like Landeskog and J.Staal before the draft - guys that had a mature game that would translate well to the NHL, but didn't have the same offensive upside as other players drafted below them.

Staal put up 29G and 42P playing on Pittsburgh's 3rd line in his rookie year. People were expecting big things from him offensively based on that, but he basically topped out at 40-60P.

Landeskog put up 52P in his rookie year, which prompted comparisons to Iginla and PPG projections. He stagnated too somewhat, averaging between 50-70P most years. This year he has a PPG, but he's also playing beside two superstars in MacKinnon and Rantanen, which has undoubtedly helped his production.

I expect the same of Tkachuk. Should produce between 50-70P most years. That doesn't make him a superstar, but would make him a real good pick at 4th OVR.

Reactions: derriko

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I notice he is taking more faceoffs lately. Any chance he transitions into a center longterm?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I compared him to guys like Landeskog and J.Staal before the draft - guys that had a mature game that would translate well to the NHL, but didn't have the same offensive upside as other players drafted below them.

Staal put up 29G and 42P playing on Pittsburgh's 3rd line in his rookie year. People were expecting big things from him offensively based on that, but he basically topped out at 40-60P.

Landeskog put up 52P in his rookie year, which prompted comparisons to Iginla and PPG projections. He stagnated too somewhat, averaging between 50-70P most years. This year he has a PPG, but he's also playing beside two superstars in MacKinnon and Rantanen, which has undoubtedly helped his production.

I expect the same of Tkachuk. Should produce between 50-70P most years. That doesn't make him a superstar, but would make him a real good pick at 4th OVR.

I think the difference between Landeskog and Tkachuk is Landeskog was 6'1 207 playing against kids, and went on to play in the NHL at 215. Tkachuk looks like he has a lot more development to do physically compared to Landeskog. Similarly, Staal was drafted as a 6'4 210 pounder playing against kids and went on to play in the NHL at 220.

I think Brady could see his final playing weight around 215-220, which could mean adding almost 25 pds compared to his draft weight. Staal and Landeskog were far closer to finished products physically than I believe Brady currently is. Does that mean he's going to produce more than you predict? Idk, but I do feel it does differentiate him from the two guys you compared him too.

HaveKnifeWillButcher

Apr 23, 2018
What a great shot!
senators-bruins-hockey-7.jpg
Looks like he's sitting on the crossbar. Too bad he isn't because that would be a whole new level of Averyness.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Not looking for hyperbole but BT as a fresh rookie is a far better playmaker than Simmonds or Landy have ever been.

Nothing has impressed me more than his vision and touch on passes. Brady will eventually make all of his linemates better and that is a wonderful skill.

Reactions: swiftwin

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Tkachuk misses Stone

what kind of monster would separate such great friends? Half-kidding but this dynamic was another reason to sign Stone long-term. f***'s sake, Tkachuk's uncle his Stone's agent. Brady's dad practically begged dorion/melnyk to sign stone long term. Reading this article is actually depressing and moreso when you realize Brady will eventually up and leave for greener pastures....like vegas.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Tkachuk misses Stone

what kind of monster would separate such great friends? Half-kidding but this dynamic was another reason to sign Stone long-term. ****'s sake, Tkachuk's uncle his Stone's agent. Brady's dad practically begged dorion/melnyk to sign stone long term. Reading this article is actually depressing and moreso when you realize Brady will eventually up and leave for greener pastures....like vegas.
The crux of why people are fed up with this team....Even when we get something good that may become great...We trade it to save money,or we keep it and take away from other area,s that may have or in the process of having the same dynamic....Never ending cycle for this team

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Tkachuk misses Stone

what kind of monster would separate such great friends? Half-kidding but this dynamic was another reason to sign Stone long-term. ****'s sake, Tkachuk's uncle his Stone's agent. Brady's dad practically begged dorion/melnyk to sign stone long term. Reading this article is actually depressing and moreso when you realize Brady will eventually up and leave for greener pastures....like vegas.
He's straight up going to play hockey again with Stone eventually.

Reactions: topshelf15

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Well the whole "Brady cant drive his own line" argument got old quick. He is definitely driving his line of Pageau-Duclair/Veronneau. He is also probably our best playmaking forward right now.

I honestly never understood the question marks about his skill level. Mind you the only time I saw him prior to the draft was the WJC, but I was left with the impression that he was an elite level playmaker with hands and a bruising body (and that we had zero chance of drafting high enough to grab him.....).

Brady is gonna be a special player imo. We are lucky to have him.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Doesn't really know what to do in the defensive zone yet, but I imagine that's very teachable, especially if we get a proper coach.

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Tkachuk misses Stone

:(

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
We need to acquire a top RW to play with him and White and be our legit 1st line

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Tkachuk really has to invest in a power skating coach services, it will do marvels to him as did to Stone. Painful to watch him on the skates.

Reactions: derriko
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad