Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk: Episode 4 - A new hope

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
You know for all the talk of Tkachuk vs Batherson...how both of them on a line? Throw Brown in the middle and profit!

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
You know for all the talk of Tkachuk vs Batherson...how both of them on a line? Throw Brown in the middle and profit!

In no particular order since I’m on mobile:

Tkachuk - Brown - Batherson
Formenton - White - Duclair
Balcers - Tierney - Ryan
Smith - Pageau - Boedker
Paul/Chlapik/Abramov/Rodewald/Norris

Lots & lots & lots of potential in that group and at least one of Boedker/Smith will be gone by next deadline if not by the start of the season... probably one or both or Tierney/Pageau will be moved too depending on how the young guys progress and how negotiations with them go. Maybe Gibbons or Lindberg get brought back if we manage to trade one of those guys mentioned above

Reactions: Clayonator

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
- love the way Tkachuk plays, he could be a future captain on this team
- Boedker should be bought out at the end of this season
- waive Condon at training camp & use him as an injury callup next yr in Belleville
- let Gibbons, Lindberg, Paajarvi, Nilsson, JOB & Balisy walk at the end of this season
- trade Ceci for a younger right shot D with more potential or re-sign him for 3 yrs or less

Tkachuk - White - Batherson
Smith - Pageau - Ryan
Formenton - Brown - Duclair
Paul - Tieirny - Rodewald/Balcers

Chabot - DeMello
Wolanin - JBD
Harpur - Jaros/Boro

Anderson - Hogberg/Condon

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
This was from prior to the draft.

"He took a step forward and I think he showed us that he could be that No. 1 centreman for an NHL team," said Dennis MacInnis, the director of scouting at ISS Hockey. "That big, hulking centerman, they're hard to come by. He's going to be horrible to play against. When he physically matures, he's a piece of work."

NHL Draft 2018: Brady Tkachuk 'right there' as possible top pick

Any thoughts on whether Tkachuk could transition to being a center or whether that would be the best use of him?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Any thoughts on whether Tkachuk could transition to being a center or whether that would be the best use of him?
I mentioned that during the draft & a number of people jumped all over me for it. But imagine Tkachuk, Brown, White or Norris & Paul down the middle in Ottawa & find some great wingers to play with them. IMO Tkachuk is so good & so smart he could play either position & succeed. White has also proved himself this yr that he could be a dominate 3rd line centre & could evolve into a pretty good 2nd line NHL centre. Chlapik has decent size too & could also play centre or LW. Then there is Tierny & Pageau & what they will do with those two.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
calling brady a potential number 1C is a quick way to loose credibility

Is the director of scouting at ISS not a credible source? I know tkachuk took faceoffs in the NCAA and he did again a few games ago and he was pretty effective.

He seems well suited to play wing but with a comment like that and his effectiveness at taking draws I was curious to see what other people thought.

Reactions: aragorn

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Is the director of scouting at ISS not a credible source? I know tkachuk took faceoffs in the NCAA and he did again a few games ago and he was pretty effective.

He seems well suited to play wing but with a comment like that and his effectiveness at taking draws I was curious to see what other people thought.

Being good at face-offs does not make one a C though.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Not many players play wing and then move to center at the NHL level.

I beg to differ, most young centres (who are not exceptional) start on the wing to learn the NHL game & the complexities of playing centre in the NHL. We have heard this numerous times, White as an example started on the wing & learned the NHL game on the wing before they decided to move him to centre.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

I mentioned that during the draft & a number of people jumped all over me for it. But imagine Tkachuk, Brown, White or Norris & Paul down the middle in Ottawa & find some great wingers to play with them. IMO Tkachuk is so good & so smart he could play either position & succeed. White has also proved himself this yr that he could be a dominate 3rd line centre & could evolve into a pretty good 2nd line NHL centre. Chlapik has decent size too & could also play centre or LW. Then there is Tierny & Pageau & what they will do with those two.

calling brady a potential number 1C is a quick way to loose credibility

As he is right now Brady would get caved in as a center. He simply doesn't get around the ice well enough. There is too much ground to cover for the way he skates right now.

That being said, if he makes serious improvement in his skating (as I expect him to) it might be worth trying down the road. I really like his vision and how he moves the puck. I like centermen who are distributors rather than trigger me. I think BT could fit that bill.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
As he is right now Brady would get caved in as a center. He simply doesn't get around the ice well enough. There is too much ground to cover for the way he skates right now.

That being said, if he makes serious improvement in his skating (as I expect him to) it might be worth trying down the road. I really like his vision and how he moves the puck. I like centermen who are distributors rather than trigger me. I think BT could fit that bill.

He seems to be in the mold of his father so LW might be the best position for him to thrive. I agree with your comments about his need to improve his skating. He will be a dominant player below the hash marks and around the net. From an offensive zone perspective that is where he will be the majority of the time and he can successfully make plays around there. The issue with Tkachuk at center might have more to do with neutral zone and defensive zone play.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....
I beg to differ, most young centres (who are not exceptional) start on the wing to learn the NHL game & the complexities of playing centre in the NHL. We have heard this numerous times, White as an example started on the wing & learned the NHL game on the wing before they decided to move him to centre.

But they usually play center before they make the NHL at some point. Tkachuk has been a winger in college and junior.

Reactions: derriko

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
What are your thoughts on that quote by Dennis Macinnis? Does that mean that Dennis MacInnis and/or ISS are not credible?
No, not at all. Funny enough he says this quote while saying he just watched him suit up on the wing at the Workd Juniors.

He hasn't played C since he was in Bantam, he's not going to start in the NHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: RAFI BOMB

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He may be decent on the draw on his strong side ... Good... Nothing , NOTHING about the way he plays indicates he's a center to me. He is a winger through and through.

Reactions: topshelf15

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
No, not at all. Funny enough he says this quote while saying he just watched him suit up on the wing at the Workd Juniors.

He hasn't played C since he was in Bantam, he's not going to start in the NHL.

Pretty odd for him to say that then. Maybe tkachuk was taking draws that game and he got confused or something. Just seems strange for someone in that position make that kind of comment about a top draft prospect to a media source.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
But they usually play center before they make the NHL at some point. Tkachuk has been a winger in college and junior.
That's true, what we don't know is how far back it goes that he has played center, I know he has just not sure how long ago that was.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Aho switched to C lately for the Canes after being a winger.

Not easy to do and not common but doable.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

his skating would need to improve to play C in the NHL imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad