Tribute Brad Treliving - offseason so far

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
The problems we had scoring against Boston basically stem from:

- our two best players missing a combined 5 games, and probably not at their best in some of the others
- out other two 'top players' doing their usual disappearing act
- minimal contribution from the D, and not just on the scoreboard.

Hopefully the first doesn't recur, the second is hard to deal with this season, and there has been some progress in addressing the last.

All our depth also sucked.

The D couldn't make a pass to save their life.

The problems were everywhere.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
What we learned is Tre has no magic wand. He is judged on his ability to fix horrible mistakes with not enough cap and no picks. By the way fix the prospect pool too. We are getting bigger as our stars' get older. Only took 7 years.

Can someone explain how we got bigger? The best players we signed are all under 200lbs...

Signing a player who may not play for us who is 6'7 doesn't make us a huge team.

Domi, Tanev, and OEL are the most important players signed.

The prospect pool is fine for a team that constantly finishes toward the top of the standings.

$20 million two years in a row and the biggest contract handed out was a #2D who is 34 with a lot of injuries and he signed him to a 6 year deal.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
All our depth also sucked.

The D couldn't make a pass to save their life.

The problems were everywhere.
Domi, Bert, and Knies all did better than Marner and Tavares, so I'm not sure 'all our depth sucked' is at all accurate, especially by comparison.

I said the D didn't contribute to the offence, and that has been somewhat addressed.

The problem that hasn't been addressed is the two MIA 'core'.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Sounds like you've joined a lot of us in knowing this team has never been a real contender. Welcome to reality.
Except that the point of his complaints is that Dubas was better, and Mitch (and to a lesser extent JT) aren't a problem.

I've been saying for years (every since the JT singing) that we aren't a contender.

Reactions: hotpaws

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Domi, Bert, and Knies all did better than Marner and Tavares, so I'm not sure 'all our depth sucked' is at all accurate, especially by comparison.

I said the D didn't contribute to the offence, and that has been somewhat addressed.

Yeah really. The d is better.its worth one goal per game and the best part? No Keefe or Samsonov

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Though we dont really know what has been the case regarding that - ie has the front office even seriously considered trading him and what efforts did they try to make it happen if they did? Those of us on the outside looking in can only guess....

For all we know there has been a conscious decision from Tre and the front office to not even try to change the core.
What kind of change are you looking for? Re-tooling, tanking, trading Nylander for a power forward? Shanny/Tre would be crazy to do scorched earth with all this talent in their primes. Put yourself in Treliving's shoes. Why would he sabotage his job? He can't listen to angry fans' wishes to punch Matthews/Marner/Nylander/Tavares/Rielly in the head as he trades them out of town. They all share the blame. They also haven't had complete competitive teams all these years. They either have shitty goalies, bad defense, or donkeys like Galchenyuk/Barrie/Engvall/Kerfoot.

Reactions: IPS

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I keep seeing people harp on replacing Bert's offense from last year. I really don't think we have to waste money on a mid level winger. Having Knies , McMann and Robertson improve next season more than makes up for the scoring from LW. Bert also had a 26 game scoreless streak. He was a huge non factor a lot of nights before he got hot and scored 20. He should have had 30 with all the tap ins he couldn't cash.

We were 2nd in goals scored last year to Colorado. Even without Bert we will be top 3 again.
Marner literally scored less than him in the playoffs, so where does he rank on your list of problems?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
This is kind of Tunnel vision type of comment.

The fact leafs played a pretty conservative style with foward staying low and taking minimum of risk to minimize at maximum workload coming from D doesn't mean than your D is good enough but only than you needing to overprotecting your D.

upgrade your D, you will be able to allow more liberty to the guys in frontwithout risking to be hirt everytime they taking s risk.
Montreal had an almost carbon copy of our D back when they elminated us in the 2021 postseason.

Did they also harbor these same issues?

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Well we need our stars to shine in the playoffs,(and having Domi with Matthews brought out another gear in him. Plus I'm hoping Berubes toughens them more), a lot of the important goals come from your bottom 6. Theirs another big weakness that continues to not be addressed. More offensive depth.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
He had $20 million to spend this offseason and he spent over $12 million on D, I don't see a cap issue.
20 million to spend sounds great but how much if it went towards Matthews and Nylanders new contracts and how many players did that 20 million need to replace?

Reactions: hotpaws

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
20 million to spend sounds great but how much if it went towards Matthews and Nylanders new contracts and how many players did that 20 million need to replace?

$0 of the $20 million went to that.

Mostly players in the bottom 6/bottom 4, should have been fine.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

They still sucked, it doesn't matter if other players sucked too.

Or depth.

Goaltending maybe has.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
#2 D, #3 D, #4/5 D, Top-6 W, Top-9 W, #3 C, 1B G

That's a lot. 20 million wasn't even close to enough to address all of those needs well through FA.

I don't think they needed all those things, and they got 2 of those things, maybe 3.

Seems like they didn't spend well.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I don't think they needed all those things, and they got 2 of those things, maybe 3.

The ones that they needed least are the ones that they didn't sign.....

Top priorities were a D partner for Rielly, a top-6 winger, and a 1B goalie. We signed all of those, and did so for relatively low cap hits.

The next priority was a #2/3 D to anchor the second pair, which Tre failed to add. We apparently tried to sign Matt Roy, which would have been perfect, but he went elsewhere for 5.75 million.

After that, it was 3C. There weren't many good options on the market. Still, we failed to add.

Least important were #4/5 D and top-9 W. I think we overpaid OEL, but he fits that need. We also failed to add a top-9 winger.... though, we could add them through gambling on our own internal youngsters.

Reactions: LeafEgo

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
The ones that they needed least are the ones that they didn't sign.....

Top priorities were a D partner for Rielly, a top-6 winger, and a 1B goalie. We signed all of those, and did so for relatively low cap hits.

The next priority was a #2/3 D to anchor the second pair, which Tre failed to add. We apparently tried to sign Matt Roy, which would have been perfect, but he went elsewhere for 5.75 million.

After that, it was 3C. There weren't many good options on the market. Still, we failed to add.

Least important were #4/5 D and top-9 W. I think we overpaid OEL, but he fits that need. We also failed to add a top-9 winger.... though, we could add them through gambling on our own internal youngsters.

1B is nowhere to be found.

I would love to know how a goalie who has started at most 24 games in their career and is 30 is anything more than a backup.

OEL is likely a #5, hoping he can be more, so we can call him that (maybe even a #4 if we are lucky).

They got a #2/3 for Rielly, a top 6 winger, a backup, a #5/6, a #4/5, and a #6/7, it cost them close to $20 million, and in some cases, a lot of term to bring down the AAV.

I don't think we needed a #6/7, we have Benoit.

I don't think we need another top 9W, give Robertson a shot or one of the younger players.

I think we've wasted a lot of cap with some overpayments and unnecessary signing in the last year.

He inherited some overpayments too, but he has added to it.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
I agree that he just did the basic necessity moves, but I'm not sure what else can even be done. If Marner doesn't want to move then his hands are tied.
There is room for creativity, but the leafs management seems very opposed to it

How about reshaping the 4th line? It sucks and was a liability in the playoffs. Move off Kampf/Reaves even though he signed them last summer and use the newfound money to improve the forward group.

If Dewar gets what he's expected based on contract projections (1.4), we're going to be running a 4th line making 5.15 million. That is completely unacceptable and 100% Treliving's doing

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
I know people are shitting on the lack of forward improvement, but I will say, I think there's major potential for the offense to improve simply through us having more mobility on the backend.

Rielly, Tanev, McCabe, Liljergen, OEL can all move the puck and most of them can do it very well. We're looking at a defensive core that can get the puck to our forwards better than ever before. That will translate into more chances generated

Wingers wise I think we're alright, Treliving really needs to get us a 3C though. Move off Kampf's money and use the savings to get someone like a Adam Henriqu who can stabilize the bottom 6. But this management seems to lack major creativity and is so averse to trades involving roster players it's puzzling

Reactions: Dr C

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
1B is nowhere to be found.

Seems that you don't know what a 1B actually is. It's the second guy in a tandem.

I would love to know how a goalie who has started at most 24 games in their career and is 30 is anything more than a backup.

Stolarz has probably been the best back-up goalie in the league over the last 3 seasons, so it's not tough to project him as a good 1B.

OEL is likely a #5, hoping he can be more, so we can call him that (maybe even a #4 if we are lucky).

He was the #5 on the second best defensive team last year.

They got a #2/3 for Rielly, a top 6 winger, a backup, a #5/6, a #4/5, and a #6/7, it cost them close to $20 million, and in some cases, a lot of term to bring down the AAV.

So basically, your entire disagreement with me is that Stolarz is an elite backup instead of a 1B goalie?

I don't think we needed a #6/7, we have Benoit.

I didn't say they needed a # 6/7.

I don't think we need another top 9W, give Robertson a shot or one of the younger players.

He's not signed, so they still need to sign a top-9 winger. That comes out of the 20 million, right?

I think we've wasted a lot of cap with some overpayments and unnecessary signing in the last year.

What were the overpayments and unnecessary signings?

He inherited some overpayments too, but he has added to it.

Jarnkrok is not overpaid. Our roster construction is just so busted that we can't afford mid-roster players at fair caphits.

He overpaid Kampf by about 0.4 million. He overpaid Reaves by about 0.35 million. He overpaid OEL by about 1 million.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Seems that you don't know what a 1B actually is. It's the second guy in a tandem.

A tandem would imply more than 24 GS (his max, not his average).

Stolarz has probably been the best back-up goalie in the league over the last 3 seasons, so it's not tough to project him as a good 1B.

He might be, he also has never taken on a load that big, so I assume he will be a backup again.

He was the #5 on the second best defensive team last year.

I think Florida's forwards contribute to that a lot, but regardless, heavily sheltered, but this is why I am saying he is likely a #5 but I am hoping for more.

So basically, your entire disagreement with me is that Stolarz is an elite backup instead of a 1B goalie?

And the specific needs of the team.

I didn't say they needed a # 6/7.

They signed one.

He's not signed, so they still need to sign a top-9 winger. That comes out of the 20 million, right?

Hopefully, a 3rd line W can come from our prospects/young players.

What were the overpayments and unnecessary signings?

Nylander, Matthews, Liljegren, Woll (not for next year), Kampf, Reaves, and Benoit (if Hakanpaa is playing over him).

Those are off the top of my head.

And then potentially Tanev and OEL, but we will see with them, as it stands now, the term is worse than the AAV for both.

Jarnkrok is not overpaid. Our roster construction is just so busted that we can't afford mid-roster players at fair caphits.

If Jarnkrok is a mid-roster winger, we don't need another top 9W, unless Domi is 3C.

Knies, McMann, Jarnkrok, Domi, Nylander, and Marner.

He overpaid Kampf by about 0.4 million. He overpaid Reaves by about 0.35 million. He overpaid OEL by about 1 million.

I think there is more than that.

And some of the signings were just pointless, Reaves for example is likely a 13F, or he was by year 1 of his contract for the playoffs.

That can be filled with someone who is making closer to the league minimum.

This will likely apply to Benoit and Timmins too.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
$0 of the $20 million went to that.

Mostly players in the bottom 6/bottom 4, should have been fine.
That really doesn’t answer my question. Obviously that 20 million comes from players leaving so how many players need to be replaced.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020

We needed most of those things when Dubas was here including including competent goal tending so even tho I’m not really a Treliving fan he is certainly no worse then you guy Dubas who had 5 years to fix these issues and couldn’t ……..because of the cap

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Knies Matthews Domi
McMann Marner Nylander
Holmberg Tavares Jarnkrok
Dewer Kampf Reaves

Meh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad