Prospect Info: 15th Overall, Michael Brandsegg-Nygaard

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
sounded like lidstrom pronounced it “Knee-Guard” is that accurate
No, it's not. Swedish hockey players barely know how to pronounce their own names. They always anglicize them, unnecessarily. Most likely because they have no idea how to pronounce Å, Ä and Ö in English because they've been at more hockey practices than English lessons in high school

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I’ve watched him play. I said he is mediocre for a top of the draft pick in response to comments that he should have gone higher than 15. Luchanko and Helenius, who were the forwards taken right before him, are both better skaters.
MBN is better skater than Helenius. And faster, especially from the start. You should watch them more.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Crazy how skating is an issue in anyone's mind. Kid is a stud athlete, powerful in every respect. Pulls away from checkers, accelerates through attempts to stop him. Doesn't dance around because he doesn't have to or want to. And the role he plays doesn't need him to be a top ten percent type of skater anyway. Best power forwards the last five years have been Stone, a relatively weak skater, and Matt Tkachuk, whose only knock as a draft prospect was less than great skating. Meier is an average skater. So MBN's not Jagr? Big effing deal. It's not going to take long for him either, We'll know inside three years what we've got, and it will come down to how he processes the game, not whether he can keep up.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Just FYI for people who haven’t seen.. With CapFriendly no longer, there’s an alternative site that may interest fans. It looks very similar if you’re not interested in much change, and isn’t as in-depth yet but you’ll probably like the set-up, if you just look at contracts, etc.

capwages.com

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
I think had the Wings picked anywhere between 9-14, MBN still would have been the pick, with the possible exception of Buium.

Would be interesting if MBN went to GR and not to the SHL. I feel either would be good for him, but if he went the full year in GR, then that would seem to indicate the Wings might want to do the rare fast track of a prospect, they may just feel he is that good.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Just rewatching older Scouch video just before draft. Him and other dude had MBN in the top 10

I don’t usually agree with Scouch but in this instance I do. I had MBN at 10 on my personal list. And I think THN’s Ferrari had MBN at 6.

There were some head scratchers by about 5 teams in the top 15 that led to some potential big wins for Buffalo, Minnesota and Detroit.

Reactions: Realgud and lilidk

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
I think had the Wings picked anywhere between 9-14, MBN still would have been the pick, with the possible exception of Buium.

Would be interesting if MBN went to GR and not to the SHL. I feel either would be good for him, but if he went the full year in GR, then that would seem to indicate the Wings might want to do the rare fast track of a prospect, they may just feel he is that good.

I don't think it matters too much where MBN plays next season. If it's true Detroit has discussed the AHL with him as a start the season thing rather than the end of the SHL season, it's easy to see why they might want to fast-track him. He's basically at the same stage now as Kasper after his Draft season, but plays a less challenging position. Kasper still had a lot to learn, MBN not as much. He doesn't need a couple years to develop physically. He has a year experience in a men's pro league already and gone through the social adjustment to a different country and handled it with no problems. He also has some limited experience vs. top pros and much better teams at the WC, where he looked like a mid-20s pro rather than a kid who hadn't been drafted yet. It wouldn't hurt him at all to play a full season in the SHL, but the next major adjustment for him is to NA ice and a more physical game. Why wait?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don't think he will have that level of playmaking so that remains to be seen, but does he remind anyone else of Filip Forsberg when you watch the highlights? Body type, pretty similar skating and in particular the release.

On the AHL rumors, perhaps they haven't liked what they have heard preliminarily from Sweden in terms of expected role. Skellefteå AIK is an excellent team, but if he isn't at least on the third line and you think you can get him a bigger role in Grand Rapids maybe the thought process changes on that potential move.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I don't think he will have that level of playmaking so that remains to be seen, but does he remind anyone else of Filip Forsberg when you watch the highlights? Body type, pretty similar skating and in particular the release.

On the AHL rumors, perhaps they haven't liked what they have heard preliminarily from Sweden in terms of expected role. Skellefteå AIK is an excellent team, but if he isn't at least on the third line and you think you can get him a bigger role in Grand Rapids maybe the thought process changes on that potential move.

That’s got me slightly worried. Theyre still pretty strong and mostly the same squad as last season.

Skellefteå AIK - Roster, News, Stats & more

He’s likely to slot into the 3RW or 4RW position. Power play time will probably be hard to come by. They had a league best PP last season.

If he slots in where Sikura or Heikkinen were and gets on PP2 I’d expect 20ish points. If he gets to play with Lindholm on their 3rd line it’s probably less.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Skellefteå AIK doesn't play with two top lines and two grinder lines. The goal is to have four producing lines and the 1st line and 3rd line basically plays the same amount.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
That’s got me slightly worried. Theyre still pretty strong and mostly the same squad as last season.

Skellefteå AIK - Roster, News, Stats & more

He’s likely to slot into the 3RW or 4RW position. Power play time will probably be hard to come by. They had a league best PP last season.

If he slots in where Sikura or Heikkinen were and gets on PP2 I’d expect 20ish points. If he gets to play with Lindholm on their 3rd line it’s probably less.
He won't play on the 4th line unless something goes very wrong. And there's at least two openings on the power play since Sikura and Sandberg has left. And as I just wrote, the third line is basically interchangeable with the 1st and 2nd line in minutes.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Skellefteå AIK doesn't play with two top lines and two grinder lines. The goal is to have four producing lines and the 1st line and 3rd line basically plays the same amount.
Yeah they roll the lines a lot more in European hockey, but I was worried if he cannot crack the top 9. The 4th usually lags behind a decent amount over there generally. So as @OgeeOgelthorpe was sort of speculating 3rd or 4th line actually matter to me on this.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
MBN could play for the Red Wings next season already? :oops:

Well I watched him at the Worlds, and he looks strong enough to play in the NHL. The skills are also there...that shot. Despite being only 18, his physique is something else.

Reactions: RRhoads and Realgud

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
Just FYI for people who haven’t seen.. With CapFriendly no longer, there’s an alternative site that may interest fans. It looks very similar if you’re not interested in much change, and isn’t as in-depth yet but you’ll probably like the set-up, if you just look at contracts, etc.

capwages.com
It took just a few days. Longer than I thought.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
If he impresses a ton at camp, I could see him starting in GR and having some call call ups. I think he was one of the consensus “most pro ready” in the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad