Top 10 Dman in order out of BUF, OTT, and DET altogether?

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I warned everyone when Forsberg put up his .917 that it covered a lot of warts.
Goalies are legit voodoo. Like did Luhkonen truly improve and is going to be a legit great starter or was it just a flash in the pan. If he doesn't play well and Levi also doesn't play well who knows what the Sabres will be like. I do like that they brought in McLeod and whoever thaf energy guy is.

On the other spectrum Detroits defense was pretty bad last season and their goalies aren't great. They had unsustainable shooting percentages. Sens got absolutely decimated by awful goaltending.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Why do I care what random Sabres fans think?
So just to recap, these things don't matter:

- Offense
- Analytics (Samuelsson's were mediocre/poor)
- Health
- Team performance (Sabres were better without him than with him)
- Sabres fans opinions

You're entitled to your opinion that Samuelsson holds some incredible value. I'm entitled to mine that he's not tiers above Edvinsson/Chiarot.

Just by quickly scanning the thread you cherry picked from - seems like the general consensus was "playing injured and that's likely why he was terrible this year"
If the argument in favor of him is that he's terrible when injured, for some reason plays half a season through injuries, and very often gets injured.. that's not exactly selling me on him.

The 22/23 season Samuelsson was the most important player behind Dahlin and Thompson.
The 22/23 season Justin Holl was really good for the Leafs.

See how irrelevant that is when it's followed by a trainwreck of a season?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The 22/23 season Justin Holl was really good for the Leafs.

See how irrelevant that is when it's followed by a trainwreck of a season?

I don’t see how you can say this with a straight face after all of the excuses for Seider throughout this thread and others.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
stažený soubor (6).png
stažený soubor (5).png

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I don’t see how you can say this with a straight face after all of the excuses for Seider throughout this thread and others.
Explain to me, slowly, what exactly Seider has to do with Samuelsson's weak, injury-plagued season and how he compares to Edvinsson or Chiarot?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Explain to me, slowly, what exactly Seider has to do with Samuelsson's weak, injury-plagued season and how he compares to Edvinsson or Chiarot?

Sure, I'll try to respond in a manner that you are capable of comprehending.

Lazlo Holyfield said:
Seider has been guilty of trying to do too much and making some wildly out of character decisions, like launching blind backhand passes from around his own net trying to clear the zone. He's done it more than once lately and the best outcome was icing the puck. Then there was a goal last game where he left his man to go play goalie in front of Reimer, which led to an easy goal as the puck was passed to his open man.

kook10 said:
He is in a contract year, so having him underperform isn't the worst thing for the long term success of the team. Not long ago people were falling all over themselves to give him $10m x 8 right out of the gate. Maybe we will have some room to get some real help after all.

David D said:
To me, Seider needs to put in some work in the off season and add another 10-12 lbs of muscle as he's constantly being pushed around! It seems his play has leveled off after the first yr and a half. Rasmuusen as well. For a guy his size, he loses most puck battles!

Reggie Dunlop said:
Every single day I wonder what the hell happened to seiders potential since his rookie year, his 3rd year in the league and analytically and eye test wise it’s been his worst overall. Seiders potential was top 5 defenseman in the world and I just don’t see it anymore, he makes so many mistakes he never use to make now

Rolo Tomassi said:
I actually somewhat agree with you. He very rarely throws a big hit or one of his “reverse hits” that made him famous as a rookie. He also very rarely handles the puck, which he was quite adept at back then.

He’s still our best dman, by far, but I am a little concerned with his lack of improvement since his excellent rookie year. If anything, i think he has gotten slightly less effective since then.

Applying your analytical technique, sure sounds like he's regressing. In your own words, what he did prior to this season is irrelevant, no?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
1. Dahlin
2. Sanderson
3. Seider
4. Power
5. Zub
6. Samuelsson
7. Chabot
8. Jensen
9. Byram
10. Chariot

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
1. Dahlin
2. Sanderson
3. Seider
4. Zub
5. Power
6. Chabot
7. Jensen
8. Samuelsson
9. Byram
10. Chiarot

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
What is expected from Sanderson pointswise this year? Could he hit 50?

A few moving parts to consider.

With Chychrun gone, it’s probably him or Chabot on PP1.

Traditionally it’s been Chabot, but he has a poor shot from the point and generally relies on his mobility for points.

If Norris plays on the other point, and is back to his pre-injury shooting form, Chabot could play the role of feeding him.

Alternatively, you could see Sanderson on PP1 in place of Chabot as he’s more reliable defensively lately as well as a more well-rounded player in general.

I suspect that Chabot’s place on PP1 is still his to lose, in which case, I’d expect 35-45 points out of Sanderson. At the same time, he’s not exactly reliable as far as his health is concerned so that spot would go to Sanderson when he misses games (as it did when they shut Chabot down last year).

Chabot is a veteran and Assistant Captain so I suspect that injury or a dramatic fall off in play would be the most likely reason he loses that spot.

If the team decides that Sanderson has earned that position on PP1, that might put him in the 50+ points range.

Ottawa’s PP was mediocre last year but how much of that was due to Stutzle’s ongoing injury last season and Norris never really getting into the groove remains to be seen.

A few things have to go right for Sanderson to hit 50 points IMO. I’d say it’s a bit of a gamble but on the positive side, he made a lot of strides in terms of his confidence with the puck last year and he could build on that as well.

If everything goes right for Ottawa, he could push 60.

Last edited:
Reactions: FLAMESFAN

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Probably because hasn’t even played an NHL game yet. So a top 10 of 3 teams, ASP will never get mentioned.
Dude's salty that Hronek got punted to the Canucks and Wings fans aren't broken up about not having the privilege of paying a #4D $7M+/yr.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Dude's salty that Hronek got punted to the Canucks and Wings fans aren't broken up about not having the privilege of paying a #4D $7M+/yr.
Hronek leaving and signing in Vancouver is far from a problem.

Probably because hasn’t even played an NHL game yet. So a top 10 of 3 teams, ASP will never get mentioned.
That's what I thought too. I've been told repeatedly he is the Hronek replacement.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Hronek would be #4 on this list IMO
Depends entirely on who he's playing with. Defensively he can't carry a pairing. He was absolutely lost in Detroit without Maatta at his side. And he was no great shakes away from Hughes in Vancouver. As a singular player he's not any better than Chabot, Power, Zub, and that tier of guys.

Reactions: Realgud

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Depends entirely on who he's playing with. Defensively he can't carry a pairing. He was absolutely lost in Detroit without Maatta at his side. And he was no great shakes away from Hughes in Vancouver. As a singular player he's not any better than Chabot, Power, Zub, and that tier of guys.
I think he is head and shoulders above Chabot, with or without factoring cap hit.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Out of this bunch?

* Dahlin
* Sanderson
* Seider
* Chabot
* Byram
* Power
* Samuelsson