Prospect Info: 15th Overall, Michael Brandsegg-Nygaard

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
MBN could play for the Red Wings next season already? :oops:
No, everyone goes through AHL first. MBN plays next season in SHL and after that AHL is the next location, MBN will take the same route as Kasper. D+1 in Europe, then AHL, then we'll see where we at. Prospects play in Europe, College and Juniors, until they are mentally and physically ready to play in NHL or AHL. Yzerman's words.

Reactions: lilidk

GarlicbreadTB

Apr 16, 2015
I think had the Wings picked anywhere between 9-14, MBN still would have been the pick, with the possible exception of Buium.

Would be interesting if MBN went to GR and not to the SHL. I feel either would be good for him, but if he went the full year in GR, then that would seem to indicate the Wings might want to do the rare fast track of a prospect, they may just feel he is that good.

Lidstrom was hinting at this with some of the interviews he did with swedish media after the game. They were surprised he was still there at #15 and they had him ranked way higher.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
MBN needs to work on his skating. SHL is excellent place to improve his skating and skills.

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
I think had the Wings picked anywhere between 9-14, MBN still would have been the pick, with the possible exception of Buium.

Would be interesting if MBN went to GR and not to the SHL. I feel either would be good for him, but if he went the full year in GR, then that would seem to indicate the Wings might want to do the rare fast track of a prospect, they may just feel he is that good.

Well the interview I just watched with him he said Yzerman told him they want him at training camp and they want him to earn a spot on the team. I'm sure they have a similar conversation with all the prospects but I'm kind of sensing with the quick signing of the elc and everything else they feel he is close to NHL ready already

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Well the interview I just watched with him he said Yzerman told him they want him at training camp and they want him to earn a spot on the team. I'm sure they have a similar conversation with all the prospects but I'm kind of sensing with the quick signing of the elc and everything else they feel he is close to NHL ready already
which if this is true about him going to training camp, that means he has a legit chance to at least make AHL GR. One of the reasons ASP didn't go to training camp was because SHL starts early september right? And the possibility of him starting there or not then coming to training camp then leaving back to SHL was not feasible.

If MBN is at training camp, I see him in GR because of what others have said about SHL team pushing him down the lineup. If they want him to progress in whatever area desired and SHL cannot give him the time to do so, GR it is. ASP also wasn't going to make GR with how many defensemen we already had slated to start in GR, prospect wise and veteran AHL D-man wise too. Kinda wanted ASP to be in GR this year but oh well.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
I think he would have to have a pretty bad camp to get sent back to Sweden in this situation. Situation in GR will likely be much better for him. He should have one of Kasper or danielson centering him potentially

Adding Sheldon Dries, probably an upgrade on Czarnik, makes things interesting at center for GR. He's been a PPG top center for Canucks' AHL farm team, playing with Skelleftea's former SHL rookie of the year Linus Karlsson. Dries can also play on the wing, so hard to say what might happen, but it could mean quality C insurance in GR in case one of Danielson/Kasper makes the big team. Having MBN leave Skelleftea after their TC to come to Wings' camp does kind of suggest the plan is for him to play in GR if he looks ready for it.

Reactions: flychairman

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I think he would have to have a pretty bad camp to get sent back to Sweden in this situation. Situation in GR will likely be much better for him. He should have one of Kasper or danielson centering him potentially

I feel like this means there is a much greater chance he is playing in Sweden. Otherwise why send him back and forth in training camp if they plan on him being in GR?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It's always interesting how Yzerman's UFA-signings remind the 1st overall pick.

When they drafted Kasper - he signed Copp.
When they drafted Danielson - he signed Compher
When they drafted MBN - he signed Tarasenko

Also, those contract lengths are pretty much a fit for the career estimate, when they'll jump at NHL. Kasper should be with Copp, on his last year, then he will inherit the role. Same with Danielson+Compher. See Tarasenko spot opening for MBN sooner, in 2 years, because he could be most NHL ready.

If the kid will develop faster, than the vet contracts are expiring, he could trade the vets for futures. It's not just UFAs walking away, it's turning them back to assets.

And also, he likes to sign that veteran to mentor our young guy, like Kane with Raymond. To learn from the best at same role.

Seider is just the only unicorn, he goes on his own.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I feel like this means there is a much greater chance he is playing in Sweden. Otherwise why send him back and forth in training camp if they plan on him being in GR?

Do you think that Skelleftea is at all interested in potentially having MBN on their team if he doesn't attend training camp? Remember, he isn't a returning member of their team, it would be his first season with them. Do you think a coach wants a kid who he doesn't know particularly well that wasn't in camp and hasn't been practicing with them in the month prior to the season starting?

I think if anything, this points more to Yzerman looking for a reason to not send him back. I would have to lean on others who may remember these instances better than I do, but the general rule of thumb is that if a player is going to be playing in the SHL, they go back to Sweden for their SHL team's training camp and they don't come back to America until after the season is over. I believe this was true for Raymond, Edvinsson, Kasper, and Sandin Pellikka. MBN would be the first deviation from that formality, assuming my memory serves.

We are doing Skelleftea a favor by letting him attend their camp in the event that he is loaned out, though we could choose not to loan him and keep him stateside if it is determined to be appropriate.

Reactions: OldnotDeadWings

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
They know how everybody has developed well under Kronwall's work. There's no real need to push people hard to GR. Too many prospects at same time could become a problem. There has to be those vets to have a winning team. Kids won't win at AHL level, that's a men's league.

And what comes to prospects located in Sweden, we don't have to worry a shit about where they are, thanks to Kronwall and Lidström working in there. They are in good hands.

Imo, it's very good if MBN can grow together as friends with Sandin-Pellikka, so both of their transfer to NA will happen easier. This is kind of lucky that they are going to be in same team. Let's benefit about that, and stop creating a problem, when there isn't one.

Reactions: SantosHalper

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
They know how everybody has developed well under Kronwall's work. There's no real need to push people hard to GR. Too many prospects at same time could become a problem. There has to be those vets to have a winning team. Kids won't win at AHL level, that's a men's league.

And what comes to prospects located in Sweden, we don't have to worry a shit about where they are, thanks to Kronwall and Lidström working in there. They are in good hands.

Imo, it's very good if MBN can grow together as friends with Sandin-Pellikka, so both of their transfer to NA will happen easier. This is kind of lucky that they are going to be in same team. Let's benefit about that, and stop creating a problem, when there isn't one.

Every single time there is a European prospect, you insist there is a problem with people trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist. Nobody cares about bus rides or who is becoming friends with who. The team just needs to make an assessment of what would be the best place for each prospect to develop their game, regardless of where on the planet that is. In some cases, that might be staying in Sweden or Finland or where a player is familiar and comfortable and has an established role. In other cases, it may be getting accustomed to North America and adjusting play style or habits to better align with the NHL.

Let Yzerman, Draper, Kronwall, Lidstrom and Cleary figure out what makes the most sense for him, they know more than we ever will on player development.

Clearly the team is interested in the potential of keeping MBN in North America, otherwise they wouldn't bring him in for training camp. Looks like Skelleftea starts playing September 21st, which will be right in the middle of camp or the prospect game(s) with Dallas(?) in place of the prospect tournament. The 25th is our first preseason game, for reference.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Spreading out the farm system is just the best way to go. It's not a debate about GR vs. Sweden. It's the truth of open spots. There's no GR spots for everyone, as you have as deep prospect pool as Red Wings currently have. The deepest at NHL.

When things go different, on the success years with less prospects, boatloading all to GR could be the way to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: Astyanax

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Do you think that Skelleftea is at all interested in potentially having MBN on their team if he doesn't attend training camp? Remember, he isn't a returning member of their team, it would be his first season with them. Do you think a coach wants a kid who he doesn't know particularly well that wasn't in camp and hasn't been practicing with them in the month prior to the season starting?

I think if anything, this points more to Yzerman looking for a reason to not send him back. I would have to lean on others who may remember these instances better than I do, but the general rule of thumb is that if a player is going to be playing in the SHL, they go back to Sweden for their SHL team's training camp and they don't come back to America until after the season is over. I believe this was true for Raymond, Edvinsson, Kasper, and Sandin Pellikka. MBN would be the first deviation from that formality, assuming my memory serves.

We are doing Skelleftea a favor by letting him attend their camp in the event that he is loaned out, though we could choose not to loan him and keep him stateside if it is determined to be appropriate.

Exactly. Start of SHL season coincides with start of NHL training camps. Skelleftea plays its first game Sept. 21 and by Oct. 1 will have already played five games. There are regular followers of SHL who would know better than I do, but I think it would be rare for any SHL player, let alone a rookie who wasn't part of their club development system, to participate in both camps and then return to Sweden after their team has already played half a dozen games. If the plan was already in place for MBN to play SHL, then the best chance for him to get the most out of it would be to be there from the start.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Exactly. Start of SHL season coincides with start of NHL training camps. Skelleftea plays its first game Sept. 21 and by Oct. 1 will have already played five games.

They'll start already at 6th September with Champions Hockey League games.

It seems to have lots of travelling on those early games, like first being at Austria, second game at Germany and fourth game at Great Britain. Only 3rd game at home of those first 4 games, which are played before the SHL start.

Maybe they think, if there's anyways much of travel for Skellefteå team, why not travel to Detroit in this special case ?

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
They'll start already at 6th September with Champions Hockey League games.

It seems to have lots of travelling on those early games, like first being at Austria, second game at Germany and fourth game at Great Britain. Only 3rd game at home of those first 4 games, which are played before the SHL start.

Maybe they think, if there's anyways much of travel for Skellefteå team, why not travel to Detroit in this special case ?

Also could be they think MBN participating in camp and all those Champions League games before coming to Detroit will only help him anyway.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Why would they send him to Detroit for development camp, fly him back to sweeen for their camp, then fly him back to Detroit for main camp if they thought he was just going to stay in Sweden?

It’s not a guarantee obviously but if they were just going to leave him in Sweden for the year for sure, they would just let him gain a role with the team in camp and stay there after the Swedish camp is done

Reactions: Euro Twins

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Why would they send him to Detroit for development camp, fly him back to sweeen for their camp, then fly him back to Detroit for main camp if they thought he was just going to stay in Sweden?

It’s not a guarantee obviously but if they were just going to leave him in Sweden for the year for sure, they would just let him gain a role with the team in camp and stay there after the Swedish camp is done

There has been cases where Europeans will go to NHL camp but will return to Europe.

Don't have to speculate million hours about that. It has just happened. It can happen. It doesn't mean anything. They just sometimes want it go that way.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Yzerman actually wants to see if MBN is good enough to make the team this season, that's why they want him to join Detroit's training camp.

Here are the original articles (MBN interview) from the Norwegian hockey news site nitten.no. The second one is new today with updates. Interesting read.

Translated version, articles will show in English.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yzerman actually wants to see if MBN is good enough to make the team this season, that's why they want him to join Detroit's training camp.

Okay,

That's like a push against the former 1st round picks, if this kid goes past them.

Stevie likes to put them compete against themselves.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Then why send him to Sweden at all?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Then why send him to Sweden at all?

Because if he doesn't go to Skelleftea's training camp, why would they want him at all? An 18 year old who has never played or practiced on ice with the team is just going to show up a week or two into their season and work into their lineup on a regular basis?

This can be summarized pretty easily. They are keeping all of their options open so they aren't pigeon holed in the end. But you have to play nice with all parties

Reactions: SirloinUB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad