Brad Treliving is doing a great job.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
I am beginning to think you are trolling... he was forced to make a bad trade and then sign the player to a huge overpayment?

You'll do anything but criticize him...

The applause ended the first time the players stepped on the ice, so it was a good trade on paper and nothing more, it seems like this board should be against good things on paper that don't translate to the ice, and they probably shouldn't want a GM who made good moves on paper only.
So Huberdeau (100 pt player), Weegar is a solid dman, and a 1st pick isn’t a good haul for a player that forced them to trade him to Florida?

Didnt you say Tkachuk was awful anyway and a playoff no-show? Or was that your alter-ego Dekes?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
What makes a great GM and a good GM is the gambles that paid off and winning the Cup.
Dubas gambles and betted on the wrong horses, his problem was not so much as betting on the wrong horses but continued to double and triple down.
Tre been playing it safe but then again, what can he do? Most of the players he inherited are not tradable and those that are, he needs them on the team. Literally not draft picks and top prospects.
If Tre brings the Cup, he will be the best GM in Leafs modern era.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Well next offseason he’s going to have so much on his plate dealing with Marner and Tavares that I don’t think it’s fair to judge him on 25/26, I think the 2026 offseason is where we REALLY get to see Brads team come together. Maybe 2027 if there’s not enough flexibility in 2026.

Well that's potentially Matthews last year. So If that's the case Tre may have cut things too close

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
So Huberdeau (100 pt player), Weegar is a solid dman, and a 1st pick isn’t a good haul for a player that forced them to trade him to Florida?

Didnt you say Tkachuk was awful anyway and a playoff no-show? Or was that your alter-ego Dekes?

Results show the trade sucked.

I said Tkachuk was a no-show, his stats might be around Marner's now (not sure anymore, haven't checked).

Was the trade good? Explain how.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Well that's potentially Matthews last year. So If that's the case Tre may have cut things too close

Ok so we should be realistic and not expect him to be able to put his team together with such a big upcoming contract to deal with, probably 2029 we get to see what he’s cooking.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Results show the trade sucked.

I said Tkachuk was a no-show, his stats might be around Marner's now (not sure anymore, haven't checked).

Was the trade good? Explain how.
It actually was a very good trade for having no control last year was a down year for them but they’re looking very good this year I don’t know how a top pair right shot dman a 100 point first line winger and a 1st round picc isn’t a great return

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
It actually was a very good trade for having no control last year was a down year for them but they’re looking very good this year I don’t know how a top pair right shot dman a 100 point first line winger and a 1st round picc isn’t a great return
It was a fine trade at the time. The real mistake was the Huberdeau contract, which everyone knew was a disaster the moment it was announced.

Reactions: leafs in five

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

So if you ignore the results of the trade, it was a good trade, got it.

None of those players were that for Calgary.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
So if you ignore the results of the trade, it was a good trade, got it.

None of those players were that for Calgary.
Under the circumstances it wasn’t a bad trade. Could be the culture in Calgary wasn’t conducive to Huberdeau performing.

If Treliving is forced to sell at the deadline and moves Marner, Tanev, McCabe, Stolarz, Rielly and any others, I hope he does a better job and acquires young talent and picks. Set up the new GM to build a team.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Under the circumstances it wasn’t a bad trade. Could be the culture in Calgary wasn’t conducive to Huberdeau performing.

If Treliving is forced to sell at the deadline and moves Marner, Tanev, McCabe, Stolarz, Rielly and any others, I hope he does a better job and acquires young talent and picks. Set up the new GM to build a team.

How can it not be a bad trade if it turned out so bad?

People complain about using expected stats (which are real stats presented in a way that is easier to digest) but now are doing expected trade results?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

People complain about using expected stats (which are real stats presented in a way that is easier to digest) but now are doing expected trade results?
I don't think it was a terrible trade at all.

Huberdeau, Weegar and 1st round Florida pick 2025. That's quite the haul.

The problem is that Huberdeau hasn't performed to expectations, but when you look at who the player was... he had averaged 1.22 points per game over the prior four seasons, and had just come off a season of 115 points. The guy was tied for second in the league for points.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I don't think it was a terrible trade at all.

Huberdeau, Weegar and 1st round Florida pick 2025. That's quite the haul.

The problem is that Huberdeau hasn't performed to expectations, but when you look at who the player was... he had averaged 1.22 points per game over the prior four seasons, and had just come off a season of 115 points. The guy was tied for second in the league for points.

So expected results...

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
So expected results...
That's the thing when you make trades. When the trade is current, all you have is past performances, and expected results. You don't have the benefit of hindsight... like we do a couple of years after the trade. Of course, Huberdeau is nearly PPG this year, Weegar is performing well, and they haven't lost a game to any team outside of the Jets. You judge the trade at the time of the trade, and it looked pretty good. You judge whether the trade worked out years later... and I might add that it's a bit premature to fully judge. What if Calgary makes the playoffs and goes for a run this year? Huberdeau is PPG, Weegar is 0.5PPG, and a solid D, and Calgary has an additional first round pick this year? Is it a bad trade still, or are we judging prematurely?

Reactions: arso40

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
That's the thing when you make trades. When the trade is current, all you have is past performances, and expected results. You don't have the benefit of hindsight... like we do a couple of years after the trade. Of course, Huberdeau is nearly PPG this year, Weegar is performing well, and they haven't lost a game to any team outside of the Jets. You judge the trade at the time of the trade, and it looked pretty good. You judge whether the trade worked out years later... and I might add that it's a bit premature to fully judge. What if Calgary makes the playoffs and goes for a run this year? Huberdeau is PPG, Weegar is 0.5PPG, and a solid D, and Calgary has an additional first round pick this year? Is it a bad trade still, or are we judging prematurely?

So Kadri got traded for a #1D who was a top 10 D for scoring, and a defensively responsible C who can play up and down the lineup.

That Kadri trade was a home run, we got a #1D who played 22+ minutes a night and scored at a great rate, it was robbery since we also got a defensively responsible D to replace Kadri.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
So Kadri got traded for a #1D who was a top 10 D for scoring, and a defensively responsible C who can play up and down the lineup.

That Kadri trade was a home run, we got a #1D who played 22+ minutes a night and scored at a great rate, it was robbery since we also got a defensively responsible D to replace Kadri.
Weird reply dude.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
It's weird to call a trade good when it ended up bad, but here you are jumping through hoops to do so.

I just showed you the same rules you applied to the Huberdeau trade working for the Kadri trade and you think it's weird.
Nah... weird.

If Calgary has a good run in the playoffs this year, ends up with a useful player from this draft from their pick.. .is it still bad?

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix

That’s really a terrible comparison…

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

They were proven players. Again I think the culture in Calgary was bad, similar to Toronto, because poor management.
Tkachuk became arguably the best American player as soon as he landed in South Fl.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
That’s really a terrible comparison…

Thank you for the very insightful response.

Nah... weird.

If Calgary has a good run in the playoffs this year, ends up with a useful player from this draft from their pick.. .is it still bad?

So now we've gone from judging the trade on the play of the players before they got traded and ignoring the play that has happened since to judging the trade on the potential play of the players moving forward while ignoring the play they have had on their current teams?

Huberdeau is playing at a very unsustainable pace (so is Calgary) and he has 7 points in 8 games... wait until it drops off.

But no, it will be a great win if they turn it around, but nothing shows that they will.

They were proven players. Again I think the culture in Calgary was bad, similar to Toronto, because poor management.
Tkachuk became arguably the best American player as soon as he landed in South Fl.

So judge the trade for what happened before the trade?

So the Kadri trade was good? Barrie was a good acquisition?

Who built the culture and traded to bring those players into it?

This makes no sense.

• Haha

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Thank you for the very insightful response.

So now we've gone from judging the trade on the play of the players before they got traded and ignoring the play that has happened since to judging the trade on the potential play of the players moving forward while ignoring the play they have had on their current teams?

Huberdeau is playing at a very unsustainable pace (so is Calgary) and he has 7 points in 8 games... wait until it drops off.

But no, it will be a great win if they turn it around, but nothing shows that they will.

So judge the trade for what happened before the trade?

So the Kadri trade was good? Barrie was a good acquisition?

Who built the culture and traded to bring those players into it?

This makes no sense.
Judging at the time of the trade.

Treliving built the culture in Calgary, Dubas in Toronto. Two really bad GMs. Worst in the league? Probably, based on the available resources.

Great job on the McCabe deal.
If they can move him, when needed.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Judging at the time of the trade.

Treliving built the culture in Calgary, Dubas in Toronto. Two really bad GMs. Worst in the league? Probably, based on the available resources.

Neither is worst in the league, just would like some consistency on these boards about if we judge trades based on results or how the players were before the trade.

The Tkachuk trade was great if you ignore its results, and terrible if you don't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad