Brad Treliving is doing a great job.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I said the return "would have been" huge. Marner coming off a season where IIRC he was a 1st team all-star IIRC and was under contract for 4 more years, you don't think we would have gotten a lot back for him in a trade?

Not sure why you're asking me about "consistency", can you explain yourself?

So you thought that he was extremely valuable then, and most GMs would agree?

Now that he is producing better in the playoffs you think his value has dropped?

I just assumed he was a playoff dud when he was producing worse, not better, my mistake.

Worth a ton, a top player:

Screenshot 2024-09-22 at 9.29.57 AM.png

Terrible player:

Screenshot 2024-09-22 at 9.30.43 AM.png

I just want to make sure I am following.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Fun fact, Marner won every award possible plus the Memorial Cup in his last year of junior. Only OHL player ever to accomplish that. #winner

The whole thing is stupid but for those that hate the team, they will find any reason to bash it.

Did you know he was also nominated for Selke?

No one milks Memorial Cup win like Mitch fans. The most famous Memorial Cup winner ever ! Plus he is elite on PK, elite on our really bad PK. #winner

• Haha
Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
So you thought that he was extremely valuable then, and most GMs would agree?

Now that he is producing better in the playoffs you think his value has dropped?

I just assumed he was a playoff dud when he was producing worse, not better, my mistake.

Worth a ton, a top player:

View attachment 908608

Terrible player:

View attachment 908609

I just want to make sure I am following.
I'd say Marner hasn't been anywhere close to being worth his cap hit in the playoffs, especially in recent years. He's managed to compile some points but too many of them haven't been meaningful in terms of winning us games and he disappears when the going gets tough. Bottom line is that he looks less impressive when you watch the games then he does from looking at the spreadsheets.

Also, the last two series he's played for us have probably been his worst ever, maybe that doesn't concern you but to me it seems like a pretty big red flag.

Did you know he was also nominated for Selke?

No one milks Memorial Cup win like Mitch fans. The most famous Memorial Cup winner ever ! Plus he is elite on PK, elite on our really bad PK. #winner
Yeah this Memorial Cup nonsense is obviously irrelevant. Only his biggest fanboys could pump the tires of an 8 year NHL veteran player with his achievements in junior hockey. :facepalm:

But who knows, maybe his agent will bring that up in contract talks? :laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Leterman and rumman

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Yeah this Memorial Cup nonsense is obviously irrelevant. Only his biggest fanboys could pump the tires of an 8 year NHL veteran player with his achievements in junior hockey. :facepalm:

But who knows, maybe his agent will bring that up in contract talks? :laugh::laugh:

I have to say, posting Mitch was great playing against kids 8 years ago is hardly a brag some think it is.

edit:
It will be mentioned :D. Lou took his performance bonus, his ELC being PPG, all that jazz. Plus they'll argue he is better than Draisatl, settle on Matthews contract, calling it discount.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I'd say Marner hasn't been anywhere close to being worth his cap hit in the playoffs, especially in recent years. He's managed to compile some points but too many of them haven't been meaningful in terms of winning us games and he disappears when the going gets tough. Bottom line is that he looks less impressive when you watch the games then he does from looking at the spreadsheets.

Also, the last two series he's played for us have probably been his worst ever, maybe that doesn't concern you but to me it seems like a pretty big red flag.

I'm not arguing he's been a great playoff performer, he's had mixed results recently.

The off-season you are talking about trading him, the previous three playoffs, his stat line was 19GP-2G-10A-12P -4. That is his worst collective three years of any time and you think his value was high.

I am trying to understand how he was worth more before when he was worse.

When he was performing worse in the playoffs (the regular season is the same), he had more value?

For the record, I think he has value and had value.

We can leave it, it makes no sense to me at all how someone performing worse would have more value, but I guess the potential of him outweighed the worse performances.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Yup. It's too bad Tre didn't have the wisdom and/or the balls to move Marner when he had the chance. Of course it's unfortunate that it even got this far, I would have shopped him around after we lost to MTL in the playoffs and the return would have been huge enabling us to move on from this spend half the cap on 4 forwards nonsense which has turned out to be a massive failure.
I agree 100%

Reactions: Leterman and rumman

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Alot of our stars didnt come up big in the playoffs. It wasnt just Marner.

"when games get tough" is just another term that the rules change to benefit the goons.

They are tougher because defenceman especally bigger and slower ones in the playoffs are allowed to step up and interfere to slow down the opposing player with skill. Crosschecks are also let go as refs turn a blind eye to that. Dont even mention the skimmishes in front of the net during the playoffs. But the Don Cherry fans love that kind of hockey or goonery.

Just make the rules all the same all year long. No other sport does this. Its not like players got bigger balls in the playoffs , its because they know they can get away with more in the playoffs because the rules change. The grind of playoff hockey is hard as you play alot of games in a short period of time I will agree to that.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Ya let’s go all the way Back to his junior days for him to be a #winner.
Obviously some do not know that there are countless players that were stars in the ohl that never translated to the NHL game. That’s not to say that Marner isn’t a good NHl players but using junior stats after 8 years to prop him up is just silly.
He is good, just not good enough to justify his current contract and certainly not what I’m sure is going to be a crazy next contract.

Reactions: rumman

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

"when games get tough" is just another term that the rules change to benefit the goons.

They are tougher because defenceman especally bigger and slower ones in the playoffs are allowed to step up and interfere to slow down the opposing player with skill. Crosschecks are also let go as refs turn a blind eye to that. Dont even mention the skimmishes in front of the net during the playoffs. But the Don Cherry fans love that kind of hockey.

Just make the rules all the same all year long. No other sport does this. Its not like players got bigger balls in the playoffs , its because they know they can get away with more in the playoffs because the rules change. The grind of playoff hockey is hard as you play alot of games in a short period of time I will agree to that.
Another lame excuse to justify another playoff failure. They’ll play playoff hockey every game under Berube instead if shinny hockey in the regular season. The team will be ready for the playoffs this year because of it. Team health is the only concern imo…….

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Another lame excuse to justify another playoff failure. They’ll play playoff hockey every game under Berube instead if shinny hockey in the regular season. The team will be ready for the playoffs this year because of it. Team health is the only concern imo…….

Why did Berube only get his team ready for playoff hockey one year?

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

They are tougher because defenceman especally bigger and slower ones in the playoffs are allowed to step up and interfere to slow down the opposing player with skill. Crosschecks are also let go as refs turn a blind eye to that. Dont even mention the skimmishes in front of the net during the playoffs. But the Don Cherry fans love that kind of hockey or goonery.

Any game with contact is exactly the same. NBA games change dramatically in the playoffs relative to the regular season.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
What? He was the head coach for multiple years... what are you talking about?

He prepped his team one year it appeared.
I knew you would respond with ancient history, I could argue with you over your lame points ir go sweat my ass off cutting the grass, guess which one I’d rather do, find another mark to listen to your drivel………

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm not arguing he's been a great playoff performer, he's had mixed results recently.

The off-season you are talking about trading him, the previous three playoffs, his stat line was 19GP-2G-10A-12P -4. That is his worst collective three years of any time and you think his value was high.

I am trying to understand how he was worth more before when he was worse.

When he was performing worse in the playoffs (the regular season is the same), he had more value?

For the record, I think he has value and had value.

We can leave it, it makes no sense to me at all how someone performing worse would have more value, but I guess the potential of him outweighed the worse performances.
I guess you missed the part where I mentioned he was still under contract for 4 more years after the MTL series whereas now he's just a rental. If you're trading for a player you like who's entering his prime, would you rather have him signed for 4 years or 1?

I think his value is still high, it's just higher for a team with no cup aspirations. I assume he Leafs are trying to win the cup and locking down Marner for another long term deal at a massive cap hit is a big step in the wrong direction.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Marner and JT drop off a lot more in the playoffs than Matthews Nylander, that's been shown here many times. I agree it totally sucks that playoff hockey is so different but that's just the way it is and until that changes, you have to factor that into your thinking if you want your team to have success in the playoffs.

Any game with contact is exactly the same. NBA games change dramatically in the playoffs relative to the regular season.
IMO this is a MUCH bigger factor in the NHL.

Reactions: Leterman

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Signing Marner would be the best option.

Treliving isnt a dinosaur GM like people make him out to be. I have zero doubts the only options are sign Marner, or fleece another team using Marner in a trade.

In no universe is a player in Marners caliber seen as cap relief.

The wings might have 27 mil in Seider, Raymond and Larkin and still wont make the playoffs. Our 3 amigos are what, going to be 40 mil combined if you round up and guarantee playoffs even on their bad days. You get what you pay for.

Superstars get paid especially if its a Canadian market. Its a blessing and a curse we have these guys. But only a curse because the league is setup in a way to make people prefer Japanese Car Soccer over hockey.

Edit: Oh all the wings guys signed now. Close enough
Signing Marner would be the best option only if it was for a reasonable amount, which seems unlikely.

I never suggested Tre was a dinosaur or that Marner was only cap relief - you may be thinking of another poster. The rest of your post doesn't seem to relate at all to mine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad