Brad Treliving is doing a great job.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
The Olympic Gold is a funny example because the job is not really the same as building an NHL franchise. It doesn't have am amateur draft, contract negotiations, salary caps, trades or many of the things that make up a big part of the NHL GMs job. It's a bit more like picking an all star team while having a lot of other qualified NHL leadershio on your staff.

I am not bashing Yzerman.

I often use him as an example when talking about Marner or Matthews and their inability to win the big games. Yzerman was in Detroit for 14 years before they won a cup. His scoring rates dropped more than the average player's did from regular season to playoffs. Eventually they surrounded Yzerman with so much talent they became a winner; talent like Fedorov, Larionov, Shanahan, Kozlov, Draper, Lidstrom, Fetisov, Murphy and Vernon. There was no salary cap back then.

Maybe that example makes the case for patience? Maybe it points out that Yzerman was not the winner he is remembered as.

Is Shanahan a winner? He has won cups and Olympics Gold as a player. Does that "winner pedigree" cross from player to GM? I think he is a winner.
So we need to surround 4 of the highest 11 paid NHL’ers with players to make them better?

Reactions: rumman

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The Olympic Gold is a funny example because the job is not really the same as building an NHL franchise. It doesn't have am amateur draft, contract negotiations, salary caps, trades or many of the things that make up a big part of the NHL GMs job. It's a bit more like picking an all star team while having a lot of other qualified NHL leadershio on your staff.

I am not bashing Yzerman.

I often use him as an example when talking about Marner or Matthews and their inability to win the big games. Yzerman was in Detroit for 14 years before they won a cup. His scoring rates dropped more than the average player's did from regular season to playoffs. Eventually they surrounded Yzerman with so much talent they became a winner; talent like Fedorov, Larionov, Shanahan, Kozlov, Draper, Lidstrom, Fetisov, Murphy and Vernon. There was no salary cap back then.

Maybe that example makes the case for patience? Maybe it points out that Yzerman was not the winner he is remembered as.

Is Shanahan a winner? He has won cups and Olympics Gold as a player. Does that "winner pedigree" cross from player to GM? I think he is a winner.
Fun fact, Marner won every award possible plus the Memorial Cup in his last year of junior. Only OHL player ever to accomplish that. #winner

There you go, yet Yzerman is seen as a much better GM for some reason despite completely failing with Detroit
The whole thing is stupid but for those that hate the team, they will find any reason to bash it.

Reactions: bax and uncleben

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I mean Yzerman has not been successful in Detroit, the man is going into year 6 and has yet to even make the playoffs if you are a GM and you can't even make the playoffs in 5 years you failed.

He's not going to get fired because nobody in Detroit is going to fire arguably the greatest red wing to ever live.

But if he were anyone else in any other sport he'd be gone because he has failed.

But He's not anyone else in any other sport, He's Steve Yzerman, He's GM of the Red Wings so nobody is going to fire him.
To be fair, his team is in the most stacked division in the NHL. Which of the Leafs, Lightning, Panthers, Bruins are they supposed to beat out? Then they are competing with other teams like the rising Sabres and a few other fringe teams like the Pens, and Caps for wildcard spots.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Then why bring it up?

Someone was talking about needing management in here that had a track record of being winners. I asked if they considered Yzerman and Rutherford winners. I was curious on that definition of winner.

Do we consider Shanny a winner? He has won cups, but as a player. Same with Yzerman, though he gets a lot of credit as a super GM but hasn't won.

Obviously supporting your core with a.strong cast is still relevant in today's team building NHL. It's more difficult than it used to be, the Detroit model is not relevant with today's constraints.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Someone was talking about needing management in here that had a track record of being winners. I asked if they considered Yzerman and Rutherford winners. I was curious on that definition of winner.

Do we consider Shanny a winner? He has won cups, but as a player. Same with Yzerman, though he gets a lot of credit as a super GM but hasn't won.

Obviously supporting your core with a.strong cast is still relevant in today's team building NHL. It's more difficult than it used to be, the Detroit model is not relevant with today's constraints.

Rutherford is definitely a winner he's 3 cups as a GM.

Shanny and Yzerman are winners as players, not winners as management.

Not everu great player is a great coach, GM etc.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Rutherford is definitely a winner he's 3 cups as a GM.

Shanny and Yzerman are winners as players, not winners as management.

Not everu great player is a great coach, GM etc.
Agree with all that.

It's an interesting discussion about what is considered a "winner" vs "someone who has won before".

Berube is a winner. Babcock was a winner. Bylsma was a winner. Craig Button won a cup as management in Dallas.

These guys all won. I don't think they should all be equally branded as winners. The Yzerman one is interesting because he gets revered as a genius, winning GM. Not sure what that is based on exactly. Even as a player for Stevie Y. Who I like.

Last edited:
Reactions: Menzinger

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Agree with all that.

It's an interesting discussion about what is considered a "winner" vs "someone who has won before".

Berube is a winner. Babcock was a winner. Bylsma was a winner. Craig Button won a cup as management in Dallas.

These guys all won. I don't think they should all be equally branded as winners. The Yzerman one is interesting because he gets reversed as a genius, winning GM. Not sure what that is based on exactly. Even as a player for Stevie Y. Who I like.

I separate the 2, if you are talking about playing careers then Absolutely guys like Yzerman and Shanny are winners they have cups and gold medals and everything else.

As management so far they are not winners because they haven't gotten their teams a championship.

And just in case you ask, winning a gold medal for team Canada or even doing it as a coach is different from doing it as a GM.

Being the GM of team Canada is the easiest job in hockey

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I separate the 2, if you are talking about playing careers then Absolutely guys like Yzerman and Shanny are winners they have cups and gold medals and everything else.

As management so far they are not winners because they haven't gotten their teams a championship.

And just in case you ask, winning a gold medal for team Canada or even doing it as a coach is different from doing it as a GM.

Being the GM of team Canada is the easiest job in hockey
Sure when the league is shut down. Not so easy for the World Championships.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
This team could use some players with the heart of Leo Komarov, with or without his gold medal…….
He and Kadri made quite the pair. Remember them slapping each other on the bench?

Leo was really the ultimate shit-disturber - I saw a clip of a game in Europe where he actually had all the players from the other team chasing him around the ice. I saw him go after Chara after a bad hit when he was on the Islanders.

Kadri's problems really started when they got split up. I think he tried to take over the trouble maker role and he just wasn't very good at not quite crossing the line.

Reactions: rumman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad