Brad Treliving is doing a great job.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
What rash decision? Dubas had 5 years here he failed, despite he failed he was offered a contract extension and then pissed around and got fired.

Firing the GM after wanting to extend him a day before.

That is a decision based on emotion and is rash.

There weren't any good GM options last year either, it was bad timing.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Firing the GM after wanting to extend him a day before.

That is a decision based on emotion and is rash.

There weren't any good GM options last year either, it was bad timing.
I have some bad and good news for you .

the bad for you

- Dubas will never be employed by the Leafs ever again which funny enough is also great news for Leaf fans since he's a useless piece of crap

but here's the good news for you

- he's employed in Pitt at least for now since he's in the process of destroying that team as well so you should go over to their board and cheer for him there since it seems your schtick is getting tired here

Last edited:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Do you understand regular season hockey is different than playoff hockey?
There are some differences between regular season and playoff hockey, but the differences are not nearly enough to throw out relevant information. Why do you agree with that in some instances and then disagree with it in others? Why won't you answer how much weight you give each, or what sample size is required in the playoffs?
Again, we're back to Dubas being perfect and we only lost again and again.... and again.... and again.... because of bad luck.
No, I refuted your claim about them not understanding roles, and didn't say anything about luck. I then discussed my concerns with Treliving's understanding.
O'Reilly, Acciari, Schenn, Lafferty..... Adding snot is so dumb....
Some of a GM's additions being players with some snot isn't inherently dumb. A GM focusing so heavily on snot specifically while ignoring critical roles and attributes is dumb. It's all about that balance you keep talking about. The players you named (along with McCabe and Gustafsson) bring a pretty varied mixture of attributes and impacts, and each of those players was brought in to address something different.
You just did the thing in the blurb above...
No, I've acknowledged the same context for both GMs, instead of just for one. And I'm not the one that's only looking at playoff series outcomes in the first place.
When most people predicted Dubas' failures, hindsight doesn't help.
Most criticisms of him are exclusively hindsight, but we also weren't talking about Dubas. We were talking about Treliving (who actually did fail in ways that were widely predicted at the time) and general questions that you're not answering. Is it okay to use hindsight against a GM when the choice made at the time was reasonable? Should we consider the situation and realistic options or just demand results?
The roster was a mess.... because we went all in with a pile of UFA rentals.
Adding some pending UFAs at the deadline doesn't make your roster a mess. We added 2 pending UFAs (plus a pending RFA) during this deadline too.
That's a lot.... especially when you add in the other 1st and 2nd we spent on a #4/5 defenseman and a 4th line winger.
If you think Sandin (after getting most of the cheap years out of him) and a 2nd/3rd/4th is "all in on rentals", you have a very different definition of "all in". Downgrading the 1st and 2nd to two 5ths boosted Treliving's roster with 2 years of a 50% retained top-4 defenseman (who was our best defenseman in this year's playoffs), and a year of a cheap, versatile bottom six forward that can play all positions.
We didn't have the cap space to sign them and fill out the roster.
O'Rielly made less than Bertuzzi. Acciari made less than Kampf. Schenn made less than Klingberg. Gustafsson was basically league minimum, and a similar amount to Benoit. Lafferty already had a contract and made less than Reaves. Cap space wasn't a barrier to Treliving keeping them.
16.5 million in cap space isn't much when you need to sign so many significant positions.
The only significant position was a top-4 defenseman, and if you count it as significant, a 3C. He had more than enough cap space. He just didn't get what we needed.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
How do you throw huge money at a player who is non existent ?
You don't. That's the point. Teams have to work with the options that are available to them. Teams can get good defensive and goaltending results without an expensive group of defensemen and goalies.
There were no solid rumors other than what Marner's mouthpiece Derren Dreger was shouting from the rooftops. I find it hard to believe that there were multiple teams ready to offer sheet MM and yet we only know of 1 lukewarm negotiation with the CBJ's.
There were 2 confirmed offer sheets and lots of rumours about both them and discussions that didn't result in one. Which is quite a bit more than the nothing that we usually hear about offer sheets that aren't signed.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
You don't. That's the point. Teams have to work with the options that are available to them. Teams can get good defensive and goaltending results without an expensive group of defensemen and goalies.

There were 2 confirmed offer sheets and lots of rumours about both them and discussions that didn't result in one. Which is quite a bit more than the nothing that we usually hear about offer sheets that aren't signed.
Who confirmed them and where is this confirmation

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
Friendly reminder to Tre that his priority is top 4 mobile D that will significantly improve the transition game.

His biggest blunder wasn't failing to get this Dman last season. His biggest blunder was thinking Liljegren was worthy of being Riellys transition side kick. Please don't make that mistake twice and just get us a top 4 transition D please.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Friendly reminder to Tre that his priority is top 4 mobile D that will significantly improve the transition game.

His biggest blunder wasn't failing to get this Dman last season. His biggest blunder was thinking Liljegren was worthy of being Riellys transition side kick. Please don't make that mistake twice and just get us a top 4 transition D please.

Do teams have only two Ds that can transition the puck? Can you point to any team in the second round that had as bad of D as us? What he assembled wasn't mobile.

His biggest blunder with D was targeting 5-6 #6D who can't do anything offensively.

We had a lot of issues on the backend, as well as other places.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He went out and got the best coach available yesterday.

Up to this point Treliving hasn't done a single thing I have disagreed with, that Could change Depending On the Marnerreturn If he's traded But as of now Brad TrelivingHasn't done a single thing I've disagreed with So far So Good.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008

He tried but he got hurt all year

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It feels like Treliving is pressing a lot of the "conventional" buttons going for size, grit, hard nosed coaching, and when you look at Dallas, Florida and New York in the semi finals this seems to be the right direction.

As I've always said. We had a unique collection of talent and all we needed to do was protect them with a conventional core and not reinvent the wheel.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
He went out and got the best coach available yesterday.

Up to this point Treliving hasn't done a single thing I have disagreed with, that Could change Depending On the Marnerreturn If he's traded But as of now Brad TrelivingHasn't done a single thing I've disagreed with So far So Good.
Klingberg - good plan -bad execution -did not replace after going on LTIR which left 44 on PP
Reaves - one year too long
Kampf - huge overpay
Nylander - caved too early -should have waited.
Matthews - too much much money -not enough term -until he can score/dominate in the playoffs he does not deserve that contract IMO.

The good far outweighs the bad. Has not had to give up assets for mistakes.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Klingberg - good plan -bad execution -did not replace after going on LTIR which left 44 on PP
Kampf - huge overpay
Matthews - too much much money -not enough term -until he can score/dominate in the playoffs he does not deserve that contract IMO.

I do think the Kampf and reaves signings can be easy fixes. You can trade Kampf and reaves you just bury it.

Reactions: ToneDog

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
It feels like Treliving is pressing a lot of the "conventional" buttons going for size, grit, hard nosed coaching, and when you look at Dallas, Florida and New York in the semi finals this seems to be the right direction.

As I've always said. We had a unique collection of talent and all we needed to do was protect them with a conventional core and not reinvent the wheel.

How does Dallas or New York fit this?

Even Florida is not built on size/grit/hard-nosed coaching, they are mostly built on skill.

And whoever comes out of Edmonton/Vancouver is the same.

All the teams with the most size and grit are out.

Reactions: Evilhomer

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Kampf - huge overpay

I agree that Reaves contract is a year to long but by the time we get to the final year it will be completely buriable anyway

Reactions: ToneDog

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Curious if we replace David Kampf with Oskar Sundqvist. Berube guy, one year older, one inch taller, 20 pounds heavier, $900K cheaper.

I'd imagine Dewar likely slides into 4C and they find someone better suited offensively for 3c duties

IF they try and move on from Kampf which obviously isn't a given

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

I agree with good coaching, but Dallas and the Rangers aren't about size and grit at all. Both have world class goalies and high-end offensive players who are performing in the playoffs. Other than Kreider (who is hardly physical himself), the Rangers' best players are some of the least physical players in the league. Dallas is a bunch of not very big, and certainly not very physical, guys. Obviously every team has some element of physicality, just as the Leafs have had every year since this current group came into place. That has never been the problem. The problem has almost always been two very clear and obvious things:

1. Mediocre goaltending.
2. Star players not performing in tight-checking games.

Number one can be fixed. Number two isn't going to be fixed by adding more grit. It has been proven time and again for the last 5 or 6 years. No amount of grit in the lineup changes how Matthews, Marner and Tavares play in the playoffs. The hope is that a new coach can change it.

Reactions: William Johnson

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
There are some differences between regular season and playoff hockey, but the differences are not nearly enough to throw out relevant information.
lets look at Matthews for example, the differences between his numbers in the regular season and in the playoffs...

Regular Season:
GP:562G:368A:281P:649

Playoffs:
GP:55G:23A:25P:48

why is that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad