Brad Treliving- 1st year complete.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rate the first season based on your expectations.

• Exceeded my Expectations

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • Met my Expectations

Votes: 107 59.4%
  • Failed to Meet my Expectations

Votes: 62 34.4%

• Total voters

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Nonis' job was basically to tank for Matthews. From that perspective, he was the most successful GM we've had in a long time. Throw in Nylander and he gets the credit for our two best players.

I don't think Nonis was allowed to staple two pieces of paper together at MLSE without Shanny's approval once was hired

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I think it’s only fair that he basically took a season to evaluate how badly Dubas messed this team up.
The only one who messed this team up was Treliving, and no, Treliving wasting prime years to "evaluate" is not acceptable.
The only reason we have more to do this offseason is because Treliving failed to do anything this past season.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
The only one who messed this team up was Treliving, and no, Treliving wasting prime years to "evaluate" is not acceptable.
The only reason we have more to do this offseason is because Treliving failed to do anything this past season.
Dubas wasting prime years of this core selecting goalies from the scrap heap and over the hill veterans to try and teach what was a young core how to play and compete the right way was the real “not acceptable”
thing. See Marleau, Thornton, Spezza. Etc

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
It's idiotic.

He inherited 3 players who struggle in the playoffs, that is what I read daily here.

They are not good based on the consensus here.
You're changing the topic again.

OK, if you want to pretend that they are not good, that's fine, as it doesn't change the main point.

Dubas inherited three mediocre players who couldn't get it done in the playoffs (which isn't to his credit) and spent five years not improving the team, for which he deserves at least some of the blame.

No matter what silly way you want to spin it, it still comes out the same.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Dubas wasting prime years of this core selecting goalies from the scrap heap and over the hill veterans to try and teach what was a young core how to play and compete the right way was the real “not acceptable” thing. See Marleau, Thornton, Spezza. Etc
He didn't waste prime years (not that that would absolve Treliving of doing it regardless). He got to work right away, added two core pieces in the first year, and turned us into a top tier team. GMs can't make elite goalies appear out of thin air, but we actually invested a pretty normal amount for our goaltending until Treliving. Marleau wasn't even him, and Spezza and Thornton were good league minimum additions that we extracted surplus value out of, so not sure why you'd be upset about them, or think they caused wasted years.

• Haha
Reactions: arso40

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
His first year was a failure IMO. There were two easy calls: Replace Keefe last summer and trade Nylander before the deadline while they still had control over him. He missed both opportunities and now he's stuck.

- Nothing against Keefe, it's just the easiest shakeup to make. Edmonton almost went from 2nd last in their conference at Christmas to winning a Cup by changing the coach.
- Nothing against Nylander, love him. He just happened to have been the one star on the team they had control over.

Treliving blew it bigtime IMO.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Dubas wasting prime years of this core selecting goalies from the scrap heap and over the hill veterans to try and teach what was a young core how to play and compete the right way was the real “not acceptable”
thing. See Marleau, Thornton, Spezza. Etc

Imo unfair to throw Spezza in that list; he stepped up, especially during the Montreal series (within the realm of his abilities at that age)

Reactions: myleafs and arso40

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
His first year was a failure IMO. There were two easy calls: Replace Keefe last summer and trade Nylander before the deadline while they still had control over him. He missed both opportunities and now he's stuck.

- Nothing against Keefe, it's just the easiest shakeup to make. Edmonton almost went from 2nd last in their conference at Christmas to winning a Cup by changing the coach.
- Nothing against Nylander, love him. He just happened to have been the one star on the team they had control over.

Agreed, Keefe may well be a good coach with different players, he wasn’t a fit with the guys we have. We fired Maurice he now has a Cup…

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

Tre's biggest mistakes were extending Keefe and allowing Marner's NMC to activate.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Nonis' job was basically to tank for Matthews. From that perspective, he was the most successful GM we've had in a long time. Throw in Nylander and he gets the credit for our two best players.

Nonis was fired by then.

Shanahan cleaned house after his first year and fired everyone from Nonis down. The tank took place under Lou. The Leafs actually tried to compete the first year Shanahan was here while Nonis was still GM.

The biggest mistake Shanahan made cost them their best chance to draft McDavid.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
He didn't waste prime years (not that that would absolve Treliving of doing it regardless). He got to work right away, added two core pieces in the first year, and turned us into a top tier team. GMs can't make elite goalies appear out of thin air, but we actually invested a pretty normal amount for our goaltending until Treliving. Marleau wasn't even him, and Spezza and Thornton were good league minimum additions that we extracted surplus value out of, so not sure why you'd be upset about them, or think they caused wasted years.
We are not a top tier team. We are first round losers every dam year. If you are referring to Tavares as one of the core pieces that single move that screwed this build.
I’m not a Tre supporter but I’m hoping he turns out better then the awful job Dubas has done

Imo unfair to throw Spezza in that list; he stepped up, especially during the Montreal series (within the realm of his abilities at that age)
Ok, fair enough I will give him that one but then he bailed and left with his man Dubas

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Getting that fourth pick still stings. It was so close.
Still remembered toward the end of that season when Bozak went on this great run or at least a few games in which one of them he scored a hat trick in the first period of something. I just said to my friends, there goes McD with the way Bozak is playing.

Reactions: arso40 and bax

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Dubas thought they could win with speed and quickness and then proceeded to get rid of the speed and quickness and left a mess. Nothing Treliving has done in his career makes me believe he’s competent enough to fix it.
For 8 yrs they've always been 6-10 pieces away from competing.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
The biggest mistake Shanahan made cost them their best chance to draft McDavid.
how did Shanny cost them "their best chance to draft McDavid" ?

we had the 4th worst record and Edm had the 3rd worst and won the lottery , if i remember correctly it was reported we had the most combinations to draft 1st overall going into the last ball

sure the lower you finish the larger the chance you win the lottery but that obviously doesn't give you a lock on the first pick and we would have had to be 7/8 wins worse that season to tank harder than Buff and be last in the league which would have been very hard to do

the following season we had 1 point more but finished last and won the lotto and drafted AM

Last edited:
Reactions: arso40 and bax

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Tbh I don’t really know where to put this so this is the best I could think off

According to dreger, bertuzzi is willing to take less on more term, if that is the case, and we still don’t sign him, then shanahan treliving, and all of mlse can go screw themselves.

Who gives a flying f about the last couple years, our “window” (if you can even call it that) is this Matthews contract, after that the amigos will be over 30 and production will fall off.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
We were, until Treliving got his hands on us.
No we were not. Other then winning a single round under Dubas Tre has matched 4 out 5 years of Dubas’s success rate in the playoffs and I would argue that if Willy and Matthews were not sick during the playoffs we might have won the first round this year.
Hell I will even give you that if Marner was not just coming off a high ankle sprain it’s not entirely impossible that even he could have helped them win

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

I agree that he likely should have fired Keefe, but he said his priorities were signing Matthews and Nylander.

Nylander is a different issue. Yes, he had control, but decided (rightly in my opinion) to keep the second-best player on the team rather than trading him for what he thought was not a good enough return (we don't know what it was, so hard to evaluate). Yes, overpaid, but considering the cap structure here, not by too much.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
How Treliving can be an even worse GM than Dubas is beyond me.

His first year here was a step backwards. And today showed just how far this franchise is from being run tops of the league. They're not even in the same solar system.

Look at the moves Tampa made.

Shedding players for picks and prospects. Freeing up cap space for a re-tooling on the fly. The Leafs insist on coming back with the same stale players year after year.

Freshen it up a little.

I'm sick of seeing guys like Marner skate around and do nothing every playoffs. Personally I think they should be bringing in some younger hungrier talent instead of running it all back with a different coach. But just like my bosses won’t listen to me I don't expect ML$E to either.

No matter how much better I think things would be if they just did what I thought they should.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
How Treliving can be an even worse GM than Dubas is beyond me.

His first year here was a step backwards. And today showed just how far this franchise is from being run tops of the league. They're not even in the same solar system.

Look at the moves Tampa made.

Shedding players for picks and prospects. Freeing up cap space for a re-tooling on the fly. The Leafs insist on coming back with the same stale players year after year.

Freshen it up a little.

I'm sick of seeing guys like Marner skate around and do nothing every playoffs. Personally I think they should be bringing in some younger hungrier talent instead of running it all back with a different coach. But just like my bosses won’t listen to me I don't expect ML$E to either.

No matter how much better I think things would be if they just did what I thought they should.

We just don't have the assets to make those kinds of moves. Unless we're going to trade Matthew Knies or Easton Cowan, there isn't a whole lot of value that isn't limited with NMCs. It really is a sad state. How Dubas turned so much into this hot mess in just 5 years is shocking.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad