Brad Marchand

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Has he cut down on the diving bs(honest question)? He’s a beast, just not likeable unless you’re a Bruins fan for the most part and I love players like that.

North Country

Oct 24, 2012
One of the very few smaller players that’s game doesn’t fall off hard in the playoffs. It seems that very few players will get physical with him because of his loose cannon antics and it’s brilliant on his part that he has created this free pass for himself.

Reactions: rfournier103

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
I get why Bruins fan say this, that plays a part, but he's actually just a much better hockey player now than he was five years ago. He used to have a bit of trouble corralling passes a lot and was nowhere near at good at protecting the puck as he is nowadays and his snipes are deadly now. His edge-work is leagues better - up there with Sid as the best in the league.

You gotta give him credit as he's obviously worked on his game a tonne.

Just to say it's not just usage and powerplay. Marchand has put in the work and made himself a much better hockey player. - and way more consistent.
I completely agree that he is a better player than a few years ago, but strictly statistically speaking, his rise to a status of a top scoring forward has largely been caused by his increase in powerplay points.

His point totals excluding powerplay points were the following: 38, 49, 56 (prorated to a full season), 51, 40, 53, 61, 62, 66

His ES+SH point production has increased as well, but the vast majority of his extra points have come on the powerplay (which he was barely a part of early in his career).

False Start

May 8, 2018
Has he cut down on the diving bs(honest question)? He’s a beast, just not likeable unless you’re a Bruins fan for the most part and I love players like that.

He knows that him of all players isn't going to get the call anyway.

He doesn't dive any more often than the average NHLer. So every once in awhile?

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
He is a great player who plays on a great line. However, I'd like to see him carry his own line if I am going to consider him one of the absolute elite players in the league. Then again, McDavid doesn't seem to get to play without Draisaitl so maybe that is an unfair standard.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
The guy is an enigma.

You hate to see it be him, but you love to see it too, a guy who honestly was a very good pest who also was a good hockey player turn into an offensive dynamo.

Kind of crazy. I was JUST looking at this last night while looking at the point leaders so far this season. I was all like "Marchand, up here almost at the top again? WTF? How did that happen over the past few seasons?"

Reactions: b in vancouver

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I had an AV bet the year after he had his first 85 point season, I'm kicking myself now because I didn't save the users name. He said that Marchand isn't a point per game hockey player.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

Hasn't been called for a dive in a year and a half. Also, before that he had a couple dive calls rescinded by Toronto because they were not dives at all, just reputation calls.

Still a first class shit disturber, as the triple minor he got the other night will show.

Reactions: Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Chelis Chili

Proud HFB member since 21 years [sic!]
Dec 26, 2002
Hockeytown
MARCHAND NETS AN NHL FIRST AS BRUINS WIN HALL OF FAME GAME

After the Maple Leafs tied the game twice, Brad Marchand scored twice in the third period – including 11 seconds into the final frame – to lift the Bruins to victory in the annual Hockey Hall of Fame Game.

* Marchand scored in the opening 15 seconds of a period for the seventh time in his career, surpassing Darryl Sittler for the most in NHL history (including overtime).

MarchandT (1)-15114835.png

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I was going over some stats recently and noticed that Brad Marchand has put up a whopping:

298 points in his last 242 games (last 4 seasons including this season)

This comes out to a 101 point pace over 82 games - 40 goals and 61 assists

I find it interesting that after over his first 454 games in the NHL he stayed at a relatively constant pace of 52 points/82 games, yet since then he has nearly doubled his production while remaining a pest of a player and providing fantastic on ice advanced stats %.

Could it be said that he is a top 10 forward in the NHL over the past 4 seasons?
He's an elite player. Has been for years now. He's also got an edge that makes people underestimate him. But for me this just makes him more valuable as a player if he does not cross the line. He is actually one player that plays easily with Crosby on a line. Not as easy as it sounds. He makes his linemates better and vice versa. Just a wonderful player if you watch hockey from an unbiased view.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
He’s bad for the game - what he did last night after taking that trophy and rubbing it in long suffering Leafs fans is an outrage

would Dave Keon or Red Kelly do that

they need to cancel that part of HOF festivities or at least not schedule Boston during this game

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Chili's
Game needs some dirt.

I'd rather he play the way he does than play like a 100 point choir boy.

This right here. Obviously some of his low bridges and elbows to the head we can do without, but he gets under the players' skin and even more importantly for us online hockey forum users, he gets under all the fans' skin for even the most trivial things. There was nothing more hilarious than him giving one word answers in interviews after the game 6 in Columbus and some people were saying he should've been suspended for it! :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad