Brad Marchand

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
He was already an excellent player prior to that. Hated for his antics and for his "pest" attitude, but who would not have loved him on their team?

It's just insane how his offense exploded without warning (maybe some people saw it? ) and now he's just a wrecking ball lol.

Idk much about the rest of the Bruins offense apart from the big names, but it's almost unfair how that team always manage to stay competitive/ a top team

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Lmao could you freaking imagine that
Funny part is, he had more offensive skill than he chose. He just wanted to be the shit disturber. I’ll never forget one time against the Leafs he was being his usual self and caused Leafs to get a penalty in retaliation in a tie game in the third. Then guess who scores on the power play? :laugh: Game winner.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The guy went from a career high of 61 to 85 within a year, that coincides with the same year Pastrnak broke out. Im not saying Pastrnak carries him, but its obvious that the chemistry between that line is the big reason for his breakout.

Or it could be his usage changed and he was given more offensive opportunities.

Either or.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Maturity
Cassidy
PP time

Claude never put Marchand on the PP, and Cassidy lets him freewheel far more than Claude.

Despite everyone being an advanced stat aficionado nowdays this really should be obvious.

His even-strength points before his breakout were around 48. The last two years they've been around 58. His powerplay points have gone from 2 in 2013-2014 to 8 in 2015-16 to 34 last year.

He's the same player, he's just being used differently. Julien was a hard line matcher and him and Bergeron had the toughest assignments in the NHL. How he's given offensive zone faceoffs against weak lines; plus far, far more PP time.

I was pointing this out years ago when he was getting destroyed in polls against JVR, who was getting it all on the PP but no one wanted to listen.

If you sum up his 'pre-breakout period' from 2010/11 to 2015/16... his 133 even-strength + shorthanded goals were 4th in the NHL.

He's always been a top-10 forward in the NHL...

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
There could be any number of things:

Pasternak
Organizational Trust
Maturity
Confidence
Off-season work
Learning from Crosby at the WC that one time

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
His sudden jump in production can almost entirely be traced to his increase in powerplay time. Under Julien he barely got any powerplay time and only collected 2-8 powerplay points per season. Once he got to play regularly on the top powerplay unit, he started collecting 25-30 pp every season. Suddenly he was an 80+ point player instead of a 60 point player.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
There could be any number of things:

Pasternak
Organizational Trust
Maturity
Confidence
Off-season work
Learning from Crosby at the WC that one time

I don't think he has to learn from Sid when he has Bergeron on his line. And was already one of the best players in the game by the time the WCOH came around.
However, him, Sid and MacKinnon practice together in the summer so I'm sure that affects all three and has boosted all their games.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
His sudden jump in production can almost entirely be traced to his increase in powerplay time. Under Julien he barely got any powerplay time and only collected 2-8 powerplay points per season. Once he got to play regularly on the top powerplay unit, he started collecting 25-30 pp every season. Suddenly he was an 80+ point player instead of a 60 point player.

I get why Bruins fan say this, that plays a part, but he's actually just a much better hockey player now than he was five years ago. He used to have a bit of trouble corralling passes a lot and was nowhere near at good at protecting the puck as he is nowadays and his snipes are deadly now. His edge-work is leagues better - up there with Sid as the best in the league.

You gotta give him credit as he's obviously worked on his game a tonne.

Just to say it's not just usage and powerplay. Marchand has put in the work and made himself a much better hockey player. - and way more consistent.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

The extra ice-time helped. But Marchand himself credits a lot of his increase in production to some changes he made in his life. He started seeing a sports psychologist, changed his diet, and revamped his training regimen and who he trains with.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
He's also the Bruins career leader in shorthanded goals with 26.

I know, not impressive for such a young team, but still.... :sarcasm:

Marchand and Bergeron on the penalty kill are ridiculous sometimes.

Wiggleboom

Feb 6, 2010
Vancouver
I get why Bruins fan say this, that plays a part, but he's actually just a much better hockey player now than he was five years ago. He used to have a bit of trouble corralling passes a lot and was nowhere near at good at protecting the puck as he is nowadays and his snipes are deadly now. His edge-work is leagues better - up there with Sid as the best in the league.

You gotta give him credit as he's obviously worked on his game a tonne.

Just to say it's not just usage and powerplay. Marchand has put in the work and made himself a much better hockey player. - and way more consistent.
This is all exactly correct. He is amazing to watch at protecting the puck as a smaller guy and also being so shifty with his skating and stick-handling. Just so impressive and enjoyable to watch. Every game he does some subtle skill plays I have to rewind back and watch again, just shaking my head in amazement.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad