Player Discussion Brad Marchand X- Return of the Rat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
I was hoping someone would get that. I’m getting f***ing old so my references tend to go over the youth of today heads…
One of my favorite movies of all time. I am getting old too. I showed a picture of "Tattoo" to the guys in our truck and no one knew who he was.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Today’s Globe:

Brad Marchand can keep a secret​

Marchand didn’t want to spill this secret on Wednesday: While his recovery from double hip surgery was supposed to take until the end of November, his best-case-scenario target was actually Thursday.

Marchand hit the bull’s-eye and looked like his old self in a rout of the Red Wings at TD Garden.

“We kept it quiet because it could have changed any day, depending on how I felt,” said Marchand, who had hip arthroscopy and labral repair on both hips on May 27, before puck drop. “It was wearing on me a little bit the last little while, because we were getting closer to the date of playing. Anything could have gone wrong any day. It almost did yesterday. I caught a rut and it could have been really ugly.”

Marchand said he felt “great” physically after a 2-1—3 performance (17:31 TOI) in Boston’s 5-1 win. His expectations were slightly muted, given that typically he would suit up for at least two exhibition games to ramp up for the season.

“It’s about making sure I’m not a liability out there, and not getting in guys’ way if they’re rolling,” Marchand said, all but winking. “Going to have to chip a lot of pucks in, chip a lot of pucks out, stay out there for five or 10 seconds at a time and get off.”

The Bruins went 6-1-0 without Marchand, who led the Bruins in scoring last season (32-48—80). He has said of late that he hasn’t felt this good in six or seven years, free of nagging groin and hip trouble. He reported increased range of motion in his skating stride.

“It feels great to get through a game,” Marchand said afterward. “I feel great. I hope I feel like that tomorrow.”

Marchand will not play in Columbus on Friday, but the Bruins’ upcoming schedule makes it so Marchand will see regular action. They have one back-to-back (Nov. 12-13) over the next eight weeks, leading up to a Dec. 22-23 set.

• Love
Reactions: Ladyfan

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
1666996658384.png

Reactions: Alicat

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Brad looks like he is having a blast out there.

I was talking to one of the guys who works for the Bs during the game last night and I said Brad doesn't look like he has missed a step. He agreed and said his timing took one shift to return and he seems to be feeling better than ever.

Marchy is so much fun to watch.

BradMarchandismydad

Nov 22, 2016
Boston
I just eant to say for a guy coming off double hip surgery I can not get over his elite skating.

That one shift where he did 15 spin-o-ramas was a treat.
Brad looks like he is having a blast out there.

I was talking to one of the guys who works for the Bs during the game last night and I said Brad doesn't look like he has missed a step. He agreed and said his timing took one shift to return and he seems to be feeling better than ever.

Marchy is so much fun to watch.

Couldn't agree more, seems like he's just having fun.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
This is what uber brad looks like with two healthy hips. And to think, based on what he said, uber Brad never had two healthy hips. He became elite with a long-term nagging injury. Incredible.

Reactions: GahdenRinkRat

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I wish the rest of the world would realize that nobody from Boston ever calls it "Beantown". Literally nobody.

100%

Yes, MA and NE and Boston itself has a beanie baby history. But that's it.

I've used your line with friends and family, verbatim, throughout the years in a vain attempt to remedy their (willful) ignorance in the matter. No dice.

If they bear a malicious prejudice against our great town, I suspect they are secretly pleased to conflate it with the advent of human flatulence.

Knaves.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Son of Linseman. I love Brad almost as much.
And, of course, if he played for anyone else we'd hate his guts.

I love Brad, too, for many reasons. But let's be honest: he doesn't do as much cheap crap as he used to, but Marchand is a dirty player.

I don't mind the low bridge stuff, though it's dangerous, because, to me anyway, if someone is coming at you like a freight train with the intent of plastering you into the boards, it makes sense to get out of the way. Caveat emptor.

The many, many slew foots are another matter.

Taking a player's feet from under him presupposes the very real possibility that the guy will go ass over tea kettle and hit the back of his head on the ice. I think it's funny when he does it, but really, it's not a cool thing to do. How would Brad feel if someone wound up with a serious head injury? Not swell, I'm guessing.

The other bits -- the punching, the licking, the stick work, the mind games (which, ultimately, is what all of his antics amount to), the chirping, et. al. -- I'm more than fine with that. He pretty much knows how far he can go with that stuff. Sometimes he crosses the line, but for the most part he dances very close to it. A bit like a gymnast on the beam.

Our Brad. What a guy,

1673297602083.png

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Tomorrow’s Globe:

Before the Bruins took their siblings on a raucous roadie (2-0-0) through Dallas and Nashville this past week, Jeff Marchand told a few tall tales about his big brother. Brad Marchand, he claimed, is a Shakespeare devotee and a member of multiple poetry clubs.

Uh, no.

A bit more believable was the yarn Jeff spun about the budding Bruin two-handing someone in the face during a youth league game near their hometown of Halifax, Nova Scotia. That, No. 63 retorted, “was par for the course back then, bud.”

Methinks he doth protest too much.

“When we were playing hockey, we always played on the same teams,” said Jeff, a year younger than Brad. “If I got hit by anybody, he was the first person out there and he would run through the boards to protect me. Then we’d get home, and he’d beat me up himself.”

Sounds a bit like the Bruins’ dressing room, where intensity smolders beneath the goofiness they show the cameras. Even assistant coach Chris Kelly, a Bruin from 2011-16, still goes at his former teammates.

“Kells always said to me, when he played, ‘Anything I say to you between 7 and 10 [p.m.], stays on the ice, stays on the bench,’ ” Brad Marchand said. “It’s not personal. It’s just a work thing. You see it out there — tempers flare sometimes. [David Pastrnak] and I are notorious for getting at each other’s throats. We push [Charlie McAvoy] pretty hard, too. It comes because we hold those guys to pretty high standards. They’re some of the best players in the game, and we want them to bring that consistency every night. To do that, you’ve got to be pushed.

“We love each other at the end of the day and have a ton of fun off the ice. But once you get out there, there’s a job we’re expected to do. It doesn’t just come from in here ― it comes from the fans, the management, the media, ownership. It comes from all over. We feel that, and we just try to push each other.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad