Player Discussion Brad Marchand X- Return of the Rat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Bergy retires, Marchand could be all done.

May be the year to let Cassidy's contract run out while the team sinks with no leadership in the room like the KasperGetThornton year.

Quite a few contracts will expire after next season also; Clifton, Haula, Nosek, Foligno, Smith, Wagner.

Start anew then.
I don't think we have seen the last of Brad.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Double hip surgery.

Same age as Tuukka when he had his hip repairs.

yep. No sure thing.

from today’s Globe:

Decisions, decisions​

Marchand surgery is common, yet worrisome​

Early offseason thoughts on the Bruins, who entered the weekend waiting on word from Patrice Bergeron on his future while dropping news that Brad Marchand could be out until Thanksgiving …

▪ Without knowing the details of Marchand’s specific case, D.C.-area hip surgeon Derek Ochiai said surgeries such as Marchand’s (double hip arthroscopy and labral repair) are exceedingly common in hockey players, and that many eventually return at close to their previous level. We have seen NHLers (Tyler Seguin, most recently) take a year-plus to get right. Hip issues have also caused many early retirements (salute to Tuukka Rask). Washington’s Nicklas Backstrom, age 34 like Marchand, is openly pondering his future. Marchand has made a career of overcoming doubts, but double hip surgery is a beast.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
yep. No sure thing.

from today’s Globe:

Decisions, decisions​

Early offseason thoughts on the Bruins, who entered the weekend waiting on word from Patrice Bergeron on his future while dropping news that Brad Marchand could be out until Thanksgiving …

▪ Without knowing the details of Marchand’s specific case, D.C.-area hip surgeon Derek Ochiai said surgeries such as Marchand’s (double hip arthroscopy and labral repair) are exceedingly common in hockey players, and that many eventually return at close to their previous level. We have seen NHLers (Tyler Seguin, most recently) take a year-plus to get right. Hip issues have also caused many early retirements (salute to Tuukka Rask). Washington’s Nicklas Backstrom, age 34 like Marchand, is openly pondering his future. Marchand has made a career of overcoming doubts, but double hip surgery is a beast.
If anyone can comeback from it, my money is on Brad Marchand the guy is a complete freak of nature and an animal when it comes to training and getting in shape. His will and drive is unmatched !

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Double hip surgery.

Same age as Tuukka when he had his hip repairs.
Each case is different as each player is different.
Marchand is an incredible athlete, he takes care of his body. I'm not saying it's going to be a walk in the park. But... knowing Marchand and his training regiment coupled with his desire to prove other people wrong. If someone can comeback from this... it's him. I fully believe he'll be back... i won't bet on the time it might take though.

What matters is he'll come back and play again... and when time comes, he'll retire in his own term.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Big difference between use of their hips by a forward vs. a goalie. A goalie's hips are tortured, whereas a forward doesn't need as much flexibility.

Reactions: TCB

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Big difference between use of their hips by a forward vs. a goalie. A goalie's hips are tortured, whereas a forward doesn't need as much flexibility.
That and a big difference between Marchand and Tuukka. Marchand is legendary with his workouts, Tuukka a great athlete, but I don't think he took care of his body the way Marchand does.
Brad Marchand workouts - Yahoo Video Search Results

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
yep. No sure thing.

from today’s Globe:

Decisions, decisions​

Tyler Sequin is today close to a 3rd liner and Backstrom just isn’t what he was either.

This is going to take time, it’s just reality.
& by then just age could come into the way.

36-37y elite players are extremely rare

Reactions: TCB

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Tyler Sequin is today close to a 3rd liner and Backstrom just isn’t what he was either.

This is going to take time, it’s just reality.
& by then just age could come into the way.

36-37y elite players are extremely rare
It's certainly a possibility. But, that little ball of hate has what it takes to overcome it.

Sure, he will need to adapt... like stop making the moves that's hard on his hips. But we all know he has multiple layers of talent to compensate.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
don't think marchand will ever be the same. At one point most likely best left winger in hockey
but after double hip surgery, aging, and most likely without bergeron as his centre, we can't
expect him to be the same. The most

Reactions: duffy

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
It's certainly a possibility. But, that little ball of hate has what it takes to overcome it.

Sure, he will need to adapt... like stop making the moves that's hard on his hips. But we all know he has multiple layers of talent to compensate.

He’s a franchise talent.

Some are just treating this as minor surgery when it’s the opposite. This isn’t a no joke operation and it will take a long time to get back to normal

Reactions: duffy

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Fingers crossed that it all goes well, and we get turbo Brad back at the end of it all. I do agree with @BB88 that this surgery is no joke and at Brad's age and bodily wear and tear it is a concern. It's way too soon to speculate about how it's going to go and what it will mean for the team, but as a fan I am going to be a little anxious about it till we know.

Reactions: BB88

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Nothing they can do. There is just too much unknowns going on. March adds to it. Fingers crossed on the surgery and recovery. Krejci too a little bit to get going after his. I too believe that goalies are different compared to a forward. Sweeney has got a big job in front of him. Most of it by his own hand.

Reactions: duffy and Dr Hook

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
A lot of times I watch little waterbug/speedster type players like Marchand and wonder how they’re not beating the hell out of their knees and hips with all that hard edge work.

We won’t know until we know, but all we can do is hope for the best.

Absolute worst case scenario, the guy finishes his career after blowing everyone’s expectations at the beginning of his career out of the water. Oh, and of course he’s got a championship ring for himself too.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
He’s a franchise talent.

Some are just treating this as minor surgery when it’s the opposite. This isn’t a no joke operation and it will take a long time to get back to normal
Yes, I've been saying the same thing.

Reactions: BB88

bbruins3

Mar 18, 2012
Estevan SASK
According to Alex Oveshkin Brad has been enjoying his off season.
Image 2022-08-16 at 11.55 PM.jpg
According to Alex Oveshkin Brad has been enjoying his off season.

Fake but hilarious all the same

• Haha
Reactions: HumBucker

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I hope Brad is always associated with the Bruins. IMO he would be an awesome coach but but sometimes a star player has a difficult time translating what he did when he played to younger players. His game is so instinctual, spur-of-the-moment stuff. He would be a sneaky-good General Manager IMO.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
I hope Brad is always associated with the Bruins. IMO he would be an awesome coach but but sometimes a star player has a difficult time translating what he did when he played to younger players. His game is so instinctual, spur-of-the-moment stuff. He would be a sneaky-good General Manager IMO.
I think I agree that he would make a good GM in the totally unsentimental almost ruthless Ainge mold.

Reactions: Gordoff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad