Prospect Info: Brad Lambert, 30th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I watched quite a few games myself just to get a feel for how Lambert was playing. Not a single player on that team looks like they know what they are supposed to be doing most of the time with or without Lambert on the ice. It was a dreadful display of hockey. I know some systems are different from what would be employed on NA ice but I've never seen nay of those strategies used by any other teams I've ever watched. Not sure if he's just experimenting over there but I really hope the Jets get Lambert as far away from Finland as possible. No wonder so many busts come out of there.
It’s a small country by population, so it is obvious that there will not be as great amount of the truly naturally gifted players, as from the really big countries like Canada, USA or Russia. Still having players like Rantanen, Barkov, Aho, Teräväinen, Hintz, Granlund, Laine, Lundell, Heiskanen and Lindell coming up around the same era is after all pretty impressive.

Of course you can call players like Puljujärvi, Kotkaniemi, Kapanen or Kakko kind of busts, although I think that term is probably a bit too harsh, as they all seem to be making at least a respectable NHL career, although they definitely aren't any kind of stars and don’t look like becoming them in the future either. I wasn’t anyway expecting any of them to be much better than they have been so far, so honestly I think some people have just had way too big expectations for them.

Reactions: GNP

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Everytime I’ve seen Brad Lambert play he’s been absolutely dynamic.

Anyone else remember a run with Ehlers we’re he could literally not score a goal? Breakaway after breakaway, 2 on 1, one timer, quick shots, off angle… it’s just one of those things. Imagine now for a moment that the run Ehlers was on there was his entire season. Meaning, those 20 something games where he couldn’t buy a goal, was his total season. Ya sure, lambert played 47 games, but these things happen. It only works out perfectly for a select few of the lucky ones. Brad Lambert is an elite hockey player, bottom line. Unbelievable we got him. Very happy.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It’s a small country by population, so it is obvious that there will not be a great amount of the truly naturally gifted players, as from the really big countries like Canada, USA or Russia. Still having players like Rantanen, Barkov, Aho, Teräväinen, Hintz, Laine, Lundell, Heiskanen and Lindell coming up around the same era is after all pretty impressive.

Of course you can call players like Puljujärvi, Kotkaniemi, Kapanen or Kakko kind of busts, although I think that term is probably a bit too harsh, as they all seem to be making at least a respectable NHL career, although they definitely aren't any kind of stars and don’t look like becoming them in the future either. I wasn’t anyway expecting any of them to be much better than they have been so far, so honestly I think some people have just had way too big expectations for them.

It probably doesn't help that guys like Pulju, Kakko and Koktaniemi have gone pretty high in the draft and aren't living up to expectations.

Finlands population is a little bit bigger than the province of British Columbia. Both have exactly 50 NHLers who played games last year. BC is in a bit of a downtrend but is starting to pick back up with guys like Bedard coming into the fold. Finland has had a bit of a good last decade or so of talent coming through. All in all I'd say Finland produces at about the same clip BC does. So probably average as far as producing talent when compared to equally sized population areas of Canada.

Finnflash

May 19, 2016
Winnipeg
The coach of the Pelicans (Tommi Niemelä) won the U18 WJC gold for Finland in 2018.

Niemelä is in fact a very good coach. That person blaming the coach is trying to find sad excuses for the bad play of Lambert himself. Quite poor fanboyism. Lambert can’t blame anyone else than himself and his dad for his poor results in Liiga. Everything else is just cheap excuses.

Not sure your statement is fair. In the video the system is fairly plain to see. It’s a five wide break out. That system Rarely works in todays game.

And as far as you saying fanboy I don’t think that is necessary to say.

Last edited:
Reactions: heilongjetsfan

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Not sure your statement is fair. In the video the system is fairly plain to see. It’s a five wide break out. That system Rarely works in todays game.

And as far as you saying fanboy I don’t think that is necessary to say.
He was as bad before in Jyväskylä with his production, and nothing changed with it when he went to the Pelicans exactly the same kind of production there as well. And he was as bad already the previous season. He has in fact practically regressed from the previous season. But he and his fans just seem to keep on blaming everyone else than Brad himself unfortunately.

Reactions: Jussi

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
The coach of the Pelicans (Tommi Niemelä) won the U18 WJC gold for Finland in 2018.

Niemelä is in fact a very good coach. That person blaming the coach is trying to find sad excuses for the bad play of Lambert himself. Quite poor fanboyism. Lambert can’t blame anyone else than himself and his dad for his poor results in Liiga. Everything else is just cheap excuses.

That gold medal winning 2018 team was really fun to watch. So I'm not buying that Niemelä is a "bad coach".
He's still relatively young (39) for a coach and only on his second full Liiga season, so maybe he's "experementing" with different stuff.

WiscoJet

May 3, 2016
The Scouching guy who is pretty plugged in said there is not one Finnish scout he talked to that likes Lambert as a prospect. Idk that seems pretty telling to me.

Idk I don't like taking guys who fall flat in their draft years but what do I know. A swing for the fences, I hope it doesn't come up short.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
He was as bad before in Jyväskylä with his production, and nothing changed with it when he went to the Pelicans exactly the same kind of production there as well. And he was as bad already the previous season. He has in fact practically regressed from the previous season. But he and his fans just seem to keep on blaming everyone else than Brad himself unfortunately.

Yes, no one in this entire process has blamed Brad Lambert for anything.

No one's forcing you to be here skippy.

Mooche

Feb 21, 2013
Winnipeg
Yes, no one in this entire process has blamed Brad Lambert for anything.

No one's forcing you to be here skippy.

Seriously.... did Lambert take this guy's lunch money in school or something?

Guy is cluttering up a thread repeating the same point over and over that he doesn't like a player.

We get it. You don't like Lambert. Go cry somewhere else.

My goodness.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
Seriously.... did Lambert take this guy's lunch money in school or something?

Guy is cluttering up a thread repeating the same point over and over that he doesn't like a player.

We get it. You don't like Lambert. Go cry somewhere else.

My goodness.
But Laine is without fault and Ovi 2.0 if it wasn't for Maurice

Mooche

Feb 21, 2013
Winnipeg
Cause we never saw that sort of thing before on this board. :sarcasm:

I'm not going to disagree there. It does happen all the time.

That being said, I am having PTSD flashbacks to 2016 when the Jets took Laine with some of these postings around here.

Imagine taking time out of your day to spew passive aggressive pot-shots about a teenage kid's regression over and over and over on an online message board.

The agenda is pretty clear from the off.

Never ceases to amaze me the acres of land these kids own in some people's head.

Last edited:

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
This year should tell us everything we need to know about where Lambert is at.

I wonder what it would take to get him over to the Ice for the big Mem Cup run. You’d have to think the Ice would want to call Seattle about him, it would do a lot for the roster and the ticket booth.

Would be a tough sell but if the Thunderbirds fear he’ll be playing for the Moose they may want to get something back.

Reactions: Upperdeckjet

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
Of the Jets big time skill players Helle, Conner, Morrissey, Perfetti all spent a good chunk of time on the Moose and have been better for it. Add in Lowry, Appelton, Poolman, Roslovic, Comrie, Stanley as more depth type pieces and the Moose have done a good job developing NHL players on the whole.

The Jets biggest problem the last 3 years or so has been Maurice's insistence on a top 6, checking third line and low minute fourth line. This made it harder for guys like Roslovic to really excel here.

I think given Conner and Perfetti's development Lambert would be well served going to the Moose.

Agree. The Moose staff know their stuff — even when forced to follow Maurice’s bewildering systems they seemed able to play them better.

I won’t have the chance to watch either team live for a good while now but I‘ve seen most Moose games over the past few years and I was impressed by how both Vincent and last year’s staff worked with players through systems, skills and teambuilding (I know….) to produce a team that’s routinely outplayed its talent, until the playoffs, at least, but whatevs.

I have a lot of respect for the Moose org. I think that they take their roles seriously and do impressive work under some trying conditions. If Lambert goes there he will be in good hands, IMO. .

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
my god...talk about over analyzing going on here!!! lol...

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I'd suggest it was something talked about, depending on Trotz's headspace with respect to making a decision. I will get to that in a second.

With Brad Lambert it seems as though the Pelicans either did not know how to develop him in areas of deficiency, did not recognize there areas need for improvement and failed him, and/or just had poor coaching overall. The video of his analytics before and after the trade tells a story of a player who went to a team that misused him (played him on the wing instead of centre), ran a very strange system (straight-line breakouts), and had an underwhelming crop of players around him. The team seems directionless and combined with Brad's father apparently interjecting creates a recipe for disaster for a young player. No wonder he struggled but you can tell he is just a straight up elite player.
He doesn't really play centre. The areas where he is lacking, automatically disqualify him from playing at that position.

Reactions: Ippenator

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
He should be fine. 1/2 his makeup/ influence is rooted in Saskatoon. Good ole prairie town with decent hockey roots, systems and work ethic drive. However, he was raised in Finland for the most part and had his developing there. His time in hometown Liiga team for Lahti Pelicans stymied his offensive prowess as they played, were coached in stifling, containing 5-wide rush, 5-man back defending system with no earmarks or regard for star quality offensive initiating. He was made yo concentrate on positional structural team play. Good to be introduced to but...stifles a young guns, talented draft year kids showing. If chevy and development team can get him in N.A., even on the Seattle WHL,tsam, they can monitor and influence his NHL curve development much better. Lots of skill and speed, slickness to this kids game. Fun to see how he develops into the Jets org, roster someday. He could be incredible with nik ehlers razzle-dazzling, flying around frazzling opponents.
Big upside, hopefully we didn't just draft another Finnish head case

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
He doesn't really play centre. The areas where he is lacking, automatically disqualify him from playing at that position.

He looked worse on the wing then he did at center this year. He'll be a center in Seattle.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
This year should tell us everything we need to know about where Lambert is at.

I wonder what it would take to get him over to the Ice for the big Mem Cup run. You’d have to think the Ice would want to call Seattle about him, it would do a lot for the roster and the ticket booth.

Would be a tough sell but if the Thunderbirds fear he’ll be playing for the Moose they may want to get something back.

Seattle are also big favourites to make a run to the Memorial Cup so I imagine they'd want him for their own run and won't waste the chance to help likely their biggest obstacle to the Memorial Cup next season.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Nah get him as far away from there as possible right now. Faster we get him in NA and on NA ice the better.
Based on what? Also, there really isn't that big of a difference in ice size. No team in Finland has a 30 meter wide rink anymore.

He looked worse on the wing then he did at center this year. He'll be a center in Seattle.
He didn't really play at center.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad