Prospect Info: Brad Lambert, 30th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The thing I don't understand is, why did Brad and his dad insist on staying in Finland even though it clearly wasn't working?

Draft position likely. Probably thought that him playing well in Liiga would give him a better chance to go #1, where the big money is. But honestly if he came over and posted big numbers in Saskatoon he likely would have had a very good shot at going top 3 this year.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Draft position likely. Probably thought that him playing well in Liiga would give him a better chance to go #1, where the big money is. But honestly if he came over and posted big numbers in Saskatoon he likely would have had a very good shot at going top 3 this year.
lol yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. But it backfired massively.

Reactions: hockeyarena

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Yeah it definitely did. Like if he came over and managed to outscore Savoie this year while looking dynamic on the Blades. He probably had a good shot at going before Wright even.
Still strange that after leaving JYP, he didn't go to WHL. Seems like at that point it was clear that this Liiga thing wasn't working out. But maybe they were scared that going from Liiga to WHL would be seen as a "downgrade".
Instead went to team where he played even worse. LOL

Reactions: Romang67

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Still strange that after leaving JYP, he didn't go to WHL. Seems like at that point it was clear that this Liiga thing wasn't working out. But maybe they were scared that going from Liiga to WHL would be seen as a "downgrade".
Instead went to team where he played even worse. LOL

Yeah odd decisions all around. Hopefully him going 30th overall is the wake up call they need to realize that maybe his dad just needs to but out.

Reactions: GNP and Jukurit

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Yeah odd decisions all around. Hopefully him going 30th overall is the wake up call they need to realize that maybe his dad just needs to but out.
The biggest mistake was probably leaving HIFK. I think HIFK wasn't ready to give Lambert "guaranteed minutes" at Liiga. Instead went to JYP and that season was a complete disaster for them (finished last in Liiga).

Reactions: Jussi

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Jets not have had an impact 1st rounder since Laine.

Hopefully the tide turns the Jets way and he becomes a solid NHL player.
kind of a narrow view

The Jets drafted three players from 2014-2016 who have combined for 1029 points.

Then they busted in the late 1st round on Vesalainen in 2017 and had no first in 2018.

Since then they have drafted Heinola, Perfetti, Lucius, MrGroarty and Lambert whom all look great in my opinion.

So one semi-bust pick in the bunch at #24 in the draft.

Last edited:

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
kind of a narrow view

The Jets drafted three players from 2014-2067 who have combined for 1029 points.

Then they busted in the late 1st round on Vesalainen in 2017 and had no first in 2018.

Since then they have drafted Heinola, Perfetti, Lucius, MrGroarty and Lambert whom all look great in my opinion.

So one semi-bust pick in the bunch at #24 in the draft.
That's needlessly negative, no?:D

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I don't know if hockey IQ is the description. He seems like a more talented version of Burmistrov, he can make some great plays but if that opportunity doesn't arise he just holds onto the puck until he losses it. If he can be taught to get the puck to a teammate then go to the net or find open ice to get it back he'll have a lot more success.
That's kind of one of the key components of hockey sense. Knowing when to distribute the puck and then supporting it properly to get it back. That can definitely be taught.

Reactions: Jussi

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Obviously next year will be important for all prospects, but it seems like next year us huge for Lambert.
Starting with where he plays, AHL or WHL? (Please no Finland).
How does his overall game improve? Does his scoring take off? Will be interesting.
The good news is, it seems like he's going to take the clubs advice. I think the best play here is to have him play one year in the CHL to regain his MOJO.

People say that the kid doesn't lack confidence, and it shows in his arrogance, but projecting confidence and actually being confident are 2 different things.

This might have been the perfect storm for us; the awful last year, with the WJC being canceled and his struggles, including the bad fit with his new team not only made it possible for him to fall to us, but it was probably a wake up call for him that he not just ordained to be a star NHL'er.

With how pumped he was to be drafted, and the org putting him in a position to succeed, I'm getting more and more excited about this.

Seattle must be salivating at the thought of having him on their roster next year.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Whatever that problem is he will either have to leave it at the door or bust, His dad will have absolutely no say in what happens to him over here. He doesn't have the connections to pull that off with us. If the kid signs he goes where we tell him to, plays the position we tell him to and gets the ice time we give him simple as that. His dad can whine and moan and complain all he wants it won't change how the Jets conduct their business.

Obviously he has some ability to meddle in Finland which is all the more reason to get Brad the hell out of there. He will have no such ability to meddle over here. We don't care who his dad is or what he has done.

Unless his dad makes him pull a Trouba :sarcasm:

At least we'd have him for his RFA years.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I don't know if hockey IQ is the description. He seems like a more talented version of Burmistrov, he can make some great plays but if that opportunity doesn't arise he just holds onto the puck until he losses it. If he can be taught to get the puck to a teammate then go to the net or find open ice to get it back he'll have a lot more success.
A "more talented Burmistrov" is probably his floor and that is a risk worth taking at #30. There are controllable factors that elevate that floor, however. Atlanta mismanaged Burmi's development by rushing him into the NHL and there were almost certainly cultural factors at play that made Burmi's adaptation to the NHL more difficult.

On the other hand, Lambert's ceiling is very high. A year in the CHL to regain his confidence and another on the Moose to transition to the NHL should do wonders.

Don't know how much he will score at the upcoming World Juniors but his tremendous skill set will be very evident as soon as he steps on the ice. That should allay a lot of fears.

I am pretty much ignoring all the noise about his last year in Finland and all the conflict with his father. It won't be a factor going forward and the postings have the same bad vibe as the early Laine days. Not interested in the least.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Interesting that Saskatoon had this kids WHL rights but traded him as far away from his dad as possible in the last month to Seattle …

That kind of thing isn't that unusual for the CHL. The CHL is extremely cyclical as one class graduates and they're replaced by younger kids. Teams in their window, like Seattle now, will try to load up while teams like the Blades who aren't going to compete will try to get as much as they can for the future. Much different to the NHL where you're building a perennial team with wide age ranges.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Jets' scouting staff trust judgment at NHL Draft to replenish prospect pool

Mark Hillier, Director of Scouting:
As for Lambert, Hillier is excited to see what he can do next season when he’s expected to suit up for the Seattle Thunderbirds of the Western Hockey League with fellow Jets draft pick Tyrel Bauer (who is the captain of the Thunderbirds and was chosen in the sixth round in 2020).

“I think he’s the best skater with the best speed,” said Hillier. “He didn’t have a good year, that’s no secret. We told the kid not to worry about what happened last year, we believe in you, we took you. You’re going to start here and hopefully, he has a great development year coming up.

“I think he’s hard on himself that he fell. He didn’t have a great year, a lot of factors were put into that. He wasn’t in a great development situation. He takes some ownership of that. Going forward I think he’ll be in a better spot this coming year. Just look for better things and a high ceiling.”

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
The biggest mistake was probably leaving HIFK. I think HIFK wasn't ready to give Lambert "guaranteed minutes" at Liiga. Instead went to JYP and that season was a complete disaster for them (finished last in Liiga).

I think his dad is the biggest reason to get him out of Finland and into the WHL. I don't have an opinion one way or another about the success of countries developing talent - I think a talent will be able to focus more on improvement if he's in a comfortable home situation so I wouldn't normally suggest taking a Finnish kid out of Finland or sending a Canadian kid to Finland because of developmental success.

My main reason would be, as I said, reducing his dad's influence on his career - hockey parents here are on another level and I'm sure the Seattle management has dealt with this kind of thing before. Also, getting him into regular games against his own age group and putting up numbers might boost his confidence level.

There's an argument for both. I wouldn't take this as a "Canada develops kids better" thing and more of what might be good for this specific player.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Oh, he is going to the WHL. That's great to hear. Seeing as he wasn't drafted out of the CHL, that means he can spend one year there and then go to the Moose if he's ready enough.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Oh, he is going to the WHL. That's great to hear. Seeing as he wasn't drafted out of the CHL, that means he can spend one year there and then go to the Moose if he's ready enough.

It's not confirmed. The Jets would really like that, as they've said publicly, but they can't really force him. It'll be up to the team, the player and his parents.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Curious
How much does a player like Lambert make playing pro in Europe?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It's not confirmed. The Jets would really like that, as they've said publicly, but they can't really force him. It'll be up to the team, the player and his parents.

He's said that he see's it as an option and said he'll have to discuss it with the Jets and see where they want him to play. Once he signs an ELC though they can send him wherever they want.

I'd imagine they will get him into camp and see where he is at this fall and go from there.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He's said that he see's it as an option and said he'll have to discuss it with the Jets and see where they want him to play. Once he signs an ELC though they can send him wherever they want.

I'd imagine they will get him into camp and see where he is at this fall and go from there.

Yeah, if he's ready I see the Moose as a real possibility. That way they can have full control of his development.

Reactions: Daximus

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Curious
How much does a player like Lambert make playing pro in Europe?
Depends on the club and player, Finnish clubs arent the richest but they pay well. Lambert probably made tens of thousands annually as a minor playing pro hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad