Prospect Info: Brad Lambert, 30th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I’d say processing speed is the only thing that is ”fixed”, and Lambert is good in that regard. Recognizing when to dump the puck or just make a simple pass instead of waiting for a perfect opportunity is something that pretty much everyone learns to at least some extent.
I believe hockey IQ is somewhat inherent, and somewhat learned. Confidence plays a massive role in decision making in hockey, and maturity also plays into it.

I wish to god I could take the maturity, patience, and knowledge I have today as an older player and marry that with my physical abilities from my 20s.

Unfortunately we never know if a player will develop that confidence, patience and knowledge. That's how you end up with Beaulieu, Myers, Bogosian, Vesalainen, etc.

It'll be fun to see if Lambert can develop these skills as well as some emotional intelligence (lament to play nice with his team mates).

Love this pick at 30.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Just a nobody fan speculating here, but given the fact that Brad's uncle is Lane Lambert I have to wonder if the duality to this draft pick was, in part, a savvy and subtle move to help influence Trotz to come here? By all accounts Trotz & Lane Lambert have a good relationship and have been working together for 10+ years. Trotz would have had a more intimate view of Brad than most. And now here you have Lane's nephew going to the very team that Trotz was considering a move to.

Just spitballing but curious on opinions. Again, I'm a nobody and just thinking out loud.

Reactions: Guardian17

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Just a nobody fan speculating here, but given the fact that Brad's uncle is Lane Lambert I have to wonder if the duality to this draft pick was, in part, a savvy and subtle move to help influence Trotz to come here? By all accounts Trotz & Lane Lambert have a good relationship and have been working together for 10+ years. Trotz would have had a more intimate view of Brad than most. And now here you have Lane's nephew going to the very team that Trotz was considering a move to.

Just spitballing but curious on opinions. Again, I'm a nobody and just thinking out loud.

Chevy also has some connections to Brad's dad apparently from Sask.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Absolutely not.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Wondering if anyone has any examples of kids with similar cautionary flaws that proved the naysayers wrong. Would be great to hear some success stories to put the mind at ease.

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
He looks 10x better than Vesalainen did when I watched his highlights after we drafted him. Vesa was a big piece a meh for me from the moment we drafted him. This kid has potential star written all over him. I've read some posts questioning his IQ, you don't make passes like he does in these highlights with a low iq.

oh ya kid looks sick. Bet he puts up 100+ pts in junior next year.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Thanks for the detailed response.

With those concerns, why do you think one upon a time he was ranked considerably higher, just off the strength of skating (I doubt it a bit) ? Think 1-2 years ago he was top 5-10? Id think bad IQ or decision making or attitude/character were issues that were around back then as well. Just never improved on it as time rolled along? Appreciate that you have a lot of viewing and a qualified opinion on him.
I think it is mostly because his weaknesses are such that with the strengths he has, the weaknesses can still allow good or even very good production against junior players, but they get very easily exposed when he is playing against structurally sound and systematically defending adult teams. This is what happens even surprisingly easy to some players and also the experts evaluating them.

Of course it also has to do with how much the skating ability has been emphasized in present hockey, so weaknesses like Lambert has can be quite easily overlooked for some time, until the production problems become more and more visible while playing against the professional adults. The same happened pretty much to Jesse Puljujärvi.

Last edited:

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
This isn't true. There's no reports of Brad having any attitude issues. He has a dad who's meddling in the background and might have something to do with the constant team swapping, but I've never seen or heard anything that indicates Brad having a bad attitude. And he has not been "Kicked off" any team.

Thanks for the clarification. That was my sense reading about him last year after seeing him play at the juniors where he was an absolute spark plug. His dad is way less likely to meddle at the NHL level, IMO, and his work ethic on the ice at least seems beyond question.

Hockey sense — who can say? I know a guy who spent years ranting about how this crazy-legged Dutch kid Ehlers was all tools / no toolbox and had the hockey sense of a gin-soaked lemming — and look where we are today.

Skill uber alles for this kind of pick, IMO., Very happy with it.

Last edited:

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
I was just thinking this. Could be a match made in heaven.

Tell Lambert to stand in the background of the high/low slot and let Perfetti do all the thinking.

Yeah — Perfetti is basically the Infinity Gauntlet of hockey IQ. Kid could probably fuel most of the team and have plenty left over for the video coaching staff.

We picked him last night. Let hope spring.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
I don't know if hockey IQ is the description. He seems like a more talented version of Burmistrov, he can make some great plays but if that opportunity doesn't arise he just holds onto the puck until he losses it. If he can be taught to get the puck to a teammate then go to the net or find open ice to get it back he'll have a lot more success.

Reactions: Ippenator

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
I’m pretty sure that this has been posted already here but his long-form interview in The Athletic shows BL as a thoughtful kid who seems aware that he has a lot to work on and a long way to go to meet his own expectations. Seems more Ehlers than Eichel.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Absolutely not.

I'd suggest it was something talked about, depending on Trotz's headspace with respect to making a decision. I will get to that in a second.

With Brad Lambert it seems as though the Pelicans either did not know how to develop him in areas of deficiency, did not recognize there areas need for improvement and failed him, and/or just had poor coaching overall. The video of his analytics before and after the trade tells a story of a player who went to a team that misused him (played him on the wing instead of centre), ran a very strange system (straight-line breakouts), and had an underwhelming crop of players around him. The team seems directionless and combined with Brad's father apparently interjecting creates a recipe for disaster for a young player. No wonder he struggled but you can tell he is just a straight up elite player.

The Jets are very good model of draft and develop, A number of players in-house have progressed through the current system and done well in their roles. The organization takes the time to develop each player in areas that will make them successful; this is quite literally the exact attention that a player like Lambert needs. So this particular relationship has the potential to be something special.

Concurrent to the Draft, the Jets are coming off a very big blow in Trotz's opting to take time to be with family. Winnipeg appeared to be the last team in the mix but Trotz's decided for a some time away. By all accounts TNSE appeared to be open to Trotz's alleged desire for a more managerial role. Some stability in his home province is enticing and clearly a factor; he had interest from numerous teams and walked away from some pretty big money. Jets hire Bowness on a pseudo-bridge deal; 2 year deal on a guy who has some very specific off-ice objectives in addressing the some of the cultural issues.

So the way I see it is Trotz lands in one of these three areas:
1) He has informed the Jets there is zero possibility of him coming here now or down the road. If this is the case then the Lambert selection is a straight draft and develop case. This is the org's bread and butter and Lambert is walking into a situation where healthy focus will be on his game.

2) Trotz informed the team that he needs time to think about it. The Jets draft Lambert but also see a dual benefit. He happens to be the nephew of his long time protege in Lane Lambert. A guy who he has worked with for over 10 years on three different teams so the bond that they share holds substance. So Trotz would be very familiar with Brad and would appreciate the familial connection; and quite obviously Trotz puts much consideration to family. If Trotz is unsure on his next steps he would appreciate the Jets selecting Brad given the team's history and pedigree in taking the time to develop young players. Especially with so many teams passing and uneasy on what they might consider a reclamation. If I am Trotz I would appreciate that my long time friend's nephew has landed with an organization that is going to do by right with him. I would also like the opportunity to try help my friend's nephew find his way again. This matters and relationships matter, and may very well be a healthy factor into Trotz's ultimate decision. I have no doubt that Chevy and Co. saw that is Trotz is still on the fence.

3) Trotz has signalled he intends to go to Winnipeg in some manner, at some time but not right now. This might be a consideration because for a long while there were numerous vacancies being held up, apparently by Trotz and where he would land. Then all of a sudden every other team starts hiring as if coaches went on sale. Jets were last one standing (mostly) so it signals to me that the rest of the league immediately moved on. Except Winnipeg. So may be a case where the 2 year deal with Bowness is a stop gap for Trotz. With Winnipeg taking Brad Lambert it will help that young player as he will be eventually be playing under his Uncle's mentor. All he would have to do is ask his uncle what he is in for and I suspect Lane will have nothing but good things to say and bridge the gap. Relationships matter.

I suspect Trotz falls into either category 2 or 3, in which case drafting Brad Lambert has benefits everyone. As I mentioned, the Jets have every confidence in the world on their draft and develop system so taking in Brad Lambert is less of a risk. The organization has a track record of taking the time and energy to address the needs of each player, and being fairly successful in doing so. So the risk/reward favours the organization on that front. And if Trotz is on the fence, this is a smart and subtle move that really has low risk attached to it on that front.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I'd suggest it was something talked about, depending on Trotz's headspace with respect to making a decision. I will get to that in a second.

With Brad Lambert it seems as though the Pelicans either did not know how to develop him in areas of deficiency, did not recognize there areas need for improvement and failed him, and/or just had poor coaching overall. The video of his analytics before and after the trade tells a story of a player who went to a team that misused him (played him on the wing instead of centre), ran a very strange system (straight-line breakouts), and had an underwhelming crop of players around him. The team seems directionless and combined with Brad's father apparently interjecting creates a recipe for disaster for a young player. No wonder he struggled but you can tell he is just a straight up elite player.

The Jets are very good model of draft and develop, A number of players in-house have progressed through the current system and done well in their roles. The organization takes the time to develop each player in areas that will make them successful; this is quite literally the exact attention that a player like Lambert needs. So this particular relationship has the potential to be something special.

Concurrent to the Draft, the Jets are coming off a very big blow in Trotz's opting to take time to be with family. Winnipeg appeared to be the last team in the mix but Trotz's decided for a some time away. By all accounts TNSE appeared to be open to Trotz's alleged desire for a more managerial role. Some stability in his home province is enticing and clearly a factor; he had interest from numerous teams and walked away from some pretty big money. Jets hire Bowness on a pseudo-bridge deal; 2 year deal on a guy who has some very specific off-ice objectives in addressing the some of the cultural issues.

So the way I see it is Trotz lands in one of these three areas:
1) He has informed the Jets there is zero possibility of him coming here now or down the road. If this is the case then the Lambert selection is a straight draft and develop case. This is the org's bread and butter and Lambert is walking into a situation where healthy focus will be on his game.

2) Trotz informed the team that he needs time to think about it. The Jets draft Lambert but also see a dual benefit. He happens to be the nephew of his long time protege in Lane Lambert. A guy who he has worked with for over 10 years on three different teams so the bond that they share holds substance. So Trotz would be very familiar with Brad and would appreciate the familial connection; and quite obviously Trotz puts much consideration to family. If Trotz is unsure on his next steps he would appreciate the Jets selecting Brad given the team's history and pedigree in taking the time to develop young players. Especially with so many teams passing and uneasy on what they might consider a reclamation. If I am Trotz I would appreciate that my long time friend's nephew has landed with an organization that is going to do by right with him. I would also like the opportunity to try help my friend's nephew find his way again. This matters and relationships matter, and may very well be a healthy factor into Trotz's ultimate decision. I have no doubt that Chevy and Co. saw that is Trotz is still on the fence.

3) Trotz has signalled he intends to go to Winnipeg in some manner, at some time but not right now. This might be a consideration because for a long while there were numerous vacancies being held up, apparently by Trotz and where he would land. Then all of a sudden every other team starts hiring as if coaches went on sale. Jets were last one standing (mostly) so it signals to me that the rest of the league immediately moved on. Except Winnipeg. So may be a case where the 2 year deal with Bowness is a stop gap for Trotz. With Winnipeg taking Brad Lambert it will help that young player as he will be eventually be playing under his Uncle's mentor. All he would have to do is ask his uncle what he is in for and I suspect Lane will have nothing but good things to say and bridge the gap. Relationships matter.

I suspect Trotz falls into either category 2 or 3, in which case drafting Brad Lambert has benefits everyone. As I mentioned, the Jets have every confidence in the world on their draft and develop system so taking in Brad Lambert is less of a risk. The organization has a track record of taking the time and energy to address the needs of each player, and being fairly successful in doing so. So the risk/reward favours the organization on that front. And if Trotz is on the fence, this is a smart and subtle move that really has low risk attached to it on that front.

I think option 1 is 99% the likely case and the other 2 are .5% each. A professional sports franchise would have to be run by absolute buffoons to waste a premium 1st round draft pick to draft a player who is the nephew of an assistant to a coach that you wanted this season but he decided not to coach. That shouldn't influence the decision in any way. I know fast food managers with more managerial sense than that.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
He fell a lot, but he has great upside.

I think this draft class as a whole is weak, and became even weaker with losing time to COVID. This pick is a shot in the dark that might turn into something.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Graviteh on Youtube was going bonkers in excitement over the Winnipeg Jets taking Lambert.
Opinion is like a buthole and everyone has own.
But only time will tell what future brings for Brad Lambert.

I'm not his biggest fan and i think he'll at least disappoint but being a bust is not out of question.
All depends that how well Jets and GM Chevy can keep Ross Lambert out of Brad's development process.
I read today somewhere internet ( i don't remember exactly where ) that Ross Lambet knows Chevy very well
thanks for his ( Chevy's ) Saskatchewan ( is that right ) years and that's not a good thing in my opinion.

Hopefully Chevy is able to keep all strings on his hands
because if Chevy lost the control then Ross Lambert starts running the show
and demand special treatment for Brad and that's not the way how to run NHL organisation
and develop your prospects

Teppo Numenor

Mar 14, 2016
I really like this pick. The kid can outright fly. In a game where speed kills he has that attribute. Playing in the dub would be best for him. He needs to play and score again. Waisting his development in a men’s league with a defensive structure is not ideal. Hope he plays in wjrs in august. This could be a home run pick. Or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad