Confirmed with Link: Bowman is the new Oilers GM, Quenneville reinstated

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
i don’t think 4.5 for him with the current cap would be bad at all. solid second pairing guy for that money.

He is not close to solid 2nd pairing guy at this point

He actively is detriment to team on ice and needs someone to coverup his terrible play but even then, as seen in playoffs that is near impossibility

Also, he is signed for like 6 more years (or so) and on clear decline. No thanks

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Again, I could see a team taking heat for Q because he is one of the greatest coaches in NHL history and when he left league the Panthers were looking dominant under him (And they took off once they corrected mistake of having Bruno as coach)

But Bowman? The guy was easily the worst GM in NHL over those final years

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
He is not close to solid 2nd pairing guy at this point
that’s hyperbole. he’s in over his head playing 20+ minutes a night. very similar player to seth jones in that regard, though i would say seth jones is the better player. i’d take a slightly lesser seth jones at half the cap hit for basically nothing going back the other way. if he’s still shit in a reduced role, then flipping him for basically anything is a net profit.

of course this is all fantasy. the oilers, being very stupid, probably value nurse more than 4.5 million cap dollars to help load up.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
that’s hyperbole. he’s in over his head playing 20+ minutes a night. very similar player to seth jones in that regard, though i would say seth jones is the better player. i’d take a slightly lesser seth jones at half the cap hit for basically nothing going back the other way. if he’s still shit in a reduced role, then flipping him for basically anything is a net profit.

of course this is all fantasy. the oilers, being very stupid, probably value nurse more than 4.5 million cap dollars to help load up.

Nurse was in over his head finishing finals on 3rd pairing

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
What moves do you think Bowman hangs his hat on that could ever allow him to just jump the line of GMs to one of the best GM jobs in the NHL?
Kane and Toews? Finding Panarin? Debrincat?
I’m trying to play devils advocate here. Are people just blindly seeing cups?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
What moves do you think Bowman hangs his hat on that could ever allow him to just jump the line of GMs to one of the best GM jobs in the NHL?

Probably would largely argue his drafting beyond 1st round

Found good amount of talent beyond 1st round thru his time in Chicago and even now one could in his defense argue his last two drafts look promising (We are voting for or have voted for several guys he drafted in our prospect poll)

His early years of drafting he was also hitting on 1st round but kept trading them away (And in Hayes case the player wouldn't sign)

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Oilers fan here, I also would love to know the answer to this.

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
Nurse was in over his head finishing finals on 3rd pairing
he was playing the most time in the playoffs with that great world beater cody ceci who, by the numbers, was worse without nurse than with him. after ceci nurse played most his time with future hall of famer vincent desharnais. give him a good partner on the right and i think he does much better. the problem with nurse in my eyes is he’s over paid, and he plays for a poorly constructed top heavy team.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Looking at Oilers drafting outside of top 3 picks.. Bowman is major improvement there even with his decline in drafting luck in Chicago in 2nd half of his tenure

Good lord are Oilers awful at drafting when not picking #1-#3

Its actually amazing Oilers were so close to winning with such dismal drafting. But two generational talents + Another pretty good #1 pick helped make up for it

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
I forgot towards the end Stan hit on a few guys he didn’t get the chance to see through. So maybe his drafting got better.

Vlasic, EDM and Allan trending well. But for a longtime, it was grim on defensive picks.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
You just tip your hat to the Oilers for jumping on the grenade and completely removing the moralizing fingers bring waved at you.

I still cant believe its for Bowman

Hiring Q = I understand taking flak especially if your a team right on cusp who's contention window is limited

Also, Bowman they could have eased in. Hire as a scout/Advisor for year or two if they really wanted him in organization. Hell Jackson could have let Bowman run show for him but retained GM title for appearances until that moment if he wanted

Feels like Katz pushed this thru, but Jackson I assume had some say or else he would likely be walking outdoor if this hiring was pushed on him

I forgot towards the end Stan hit on a few guys he didn’t get the chance to see through. So maybe his drafting got better.

Vlasic, EDM and Allan trending well. But for a longtime, it was grim on defensive picks.

Vlasic establishing himself also helps on that front

Dach was major whiff though but Oilers likely wont be picking top of draft for next few years unless they lose both McDavid and Draisatl

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I guess Hossa and Keith are his big wins. But they aren’t legal contracts anymore. Hjalmarsson he let get offersheeted but that contract ended up being great. Kane and Toews were auto pilot situations. The recruitment of Panarin is a feather in his cap but that was Barry Smith.

Saad and Debrincat, TVR. He threw away Danault and Teravainen. Contracts were mostly a disaster but the situation was tough with Kane and Toews. Same thing that Dubas got fired for with his RFAs and the cap went sideways at wrong time.

Speaking of… the RFA situation cost the Hawks like a freaking 5peat but we’ll never know his level of involvement. If you want to hang your hat… I guess I fall on Panarin, Hossa recruitment, Debrincat. Defense drafting and development atrocious. Like worst in the league.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Obvious flaws aside, Bowman, to me, is a guy that had a window of elite relevancy but the rest of the league caught up and surpassed him a long time ago.

If he had no dirt on his resume, okay, sure... I could see some organizarion hiring him. But it's almost akin to hiring Billy Beane in 2025 in baseball. Okay, neat... but nothing special there.

Bluntly stated, Bowman's genius was in cap crunching as much as possible, and most of those skillsets have been outlawed or caught up to. Big whoop.

But with his dirt? Woof, that's a rough hire.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Bowman's biggest positive was pushing for Hossa over Havlat when Tallon wanted to keep Havlat because he was so loyal to his guys. But being pro hhof Two way defensive monster winger with 90+ point seasons is like the simplest of praise.

Reactions: ClydeLee

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I will say people don't give enough respect to judging a phase a GM is in. Lombardi was looked at bad trying to keep a core together too, Rutherford did, briesbois looks crazy to some with moves the last 3 years, and it's justified

I think hindsight with Keith dealing and Hossa dealing with his issues. Stan should of gone harder like Briesbois in 16 & 17. The retooling and fighting against age just looks real bad.

But I think Stan's value was helped by his father and connections. Being able to build Europe FA connections and have Barry Smith or others help. I don't know if those are still helpful anymore. I think he's less helpful to Edmonton with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad