Confirmed with Link: Bowman is the new Oilers GM, Quenneville reinstated

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
-Shouldn't have traded Sharp for Daley + Erhoff(?)
-Shouldn't have given that contract to Bickell
-Shouldn't have give that contract to Seabrook
-Lost Teravainen because of the Bickell deal
-Shouldn't have made those deadline moves in 2015/16
-Lost three Brandon Saad trades, JFC
-Jeremy Colliton as head coach????

-Finally, the guy gave a presser saying how important it was to draft and develop defenseman, then traded them all away or didn't develop any defenseman.

He deserves credit for the turnaround from 2013-15. I don't think we win Cups without some of those draft picks and trades he made. But basically everything after the 2015 offseason outside of signing Panarin was a failure

emeyezee

Jul 1, 2015
How long before a good chunk of oilers fans change their mind and say what happened wasn’t actually that bad? Especially if they win a cup with Bowman at the helm.

It sure didnt take long for many Browns fans to look the other way at the 24 lawsuits against Deshaun Watson. And Watson has specifically said that he has no regrets about what he’s done.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
How long before a good chunk of oilers fans change their mind and say what happened wasn’t actually that bad? Especially if they win a cup with Bowman at the helm.

It sure didnt take long for many Browns fans to look the other way at the 24 lawsuits against Deshaun Watson. And Watson has specifically said that he has no regrets about what he’s done.
The Watson comparisons are so dumb.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
-Shouldn't have traded Sharp for Daley + Erhoff(?)
-Shouldn't have given that contract to Bickell
-Shouldn't have give that contract to Seabrook
-Lost Teravainen because of the Bickell deal
-Shouldn't have made those deadline moves in 2015/16
-Lost three Brandon Saad trades, JFC
-Jeremy Colliton as head coach????

-Finally, the guy gave a presser saying how important it was to draft and develop defenseman, then traded them all away or didn't develop any defenseman.

He deserves credit for the turnaround from 2013-15. I don't think we win Cups without some of those draft picks and trades he made. But basically everything after the 2015 offseason outside of signing Panarin was a failure
100% agree with this. There are some REAL head scratchers in there, but the important factor for me is that Bowman was successful in an uber-challenging situation by filling out the roster in 2013-15 and built teams that put them in a position to win the Cup. (Not his fault in 2014 that the linesman miss a blatant off-side call and the Hawks would have stomped the Rangers in the finals). That was really difficult, and there are several recent teams which show just how difficult it is (Avs & TB as 2 teams with incredible cores that have struggled after they have to make difficult choices and pay the "Cup Tax").

Not claiming Bowman was a phenomenal GM - just that he's being portrayed as a simpleton who never accomplished anything and that's not accurate.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
It’s not a comparison. It’s the fact that the professional athletic world is held to different standards.
Yeah you are right about the standards, Bowman should be given another chance, Watson shouldn't have. 1 actually committed a crime, the other didn't even come close.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
100% agree with this. There are some REAL head scratchers in there, but the important factor for me is that Bowman was successful in an uber-challenging situation by filling out the roster in 2013-15 and built teams that put them in a position to win the Cup. (Not his fault in 2014 that the linesman miss a blatant off-side call and the Hawks would have stomped the Rangers in the finals). That was really difficult, and there are several recent teams which show just how difficult it is (Avs & TB as 2 teams with incredible cores that have struggled after they have to make difficult choices and pay the "Cup Tax").

Not claiming Bowman was a phenomenal GM - just that he's being portrayed as a simpleton who never accomplished anything and that's not accurate.
And to the people saying he inherited the core, that may be true but as we saw in 2011, 2012, 2014, and 2016...roster depth is a limiting factor in playoff success. The core was always there, but in the years we didn't have roster depth we didn't win.

Adding guys like Kruger, Frolik, Oduya, Rozsival, Handzus, Brad Richards, Teravainen, and Vermette through drafting and trades made those Cups possible 13 & 15 Cups possible.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Browns were my 2nd favorite team in the NFL, got into them just because the name was so dumb and was big into the Romeo Crennel Brady Quinn era. But have zero love for the Browns anymore.

But Watson comparison is like if a team was actually hiring Brad Aldrich himself.

But to say learning experience is awful, when even if you stick to it from a pure GM hockey view... Bowman failed 2 prospects he was in charge of developing. But he failed many people interns, prospects, and future victims elsewhere

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Pathetic. His first move wil probably be trading Draisaitl for Brandon Saad. That guy does not deserve another GM job right away if ever, now he inherits arguably the best roster in the NHL, which looks to have improved quite a bit in the offseason. He came into the Chicago GM job when the core of the roster was already in place, now again. Incredible.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
I watched that press conference for the Oilers.

I absolutely despise that Stan keeps referring to the Kyle Beach situation as a “learning experience”. It’s not a learning experience f***head, it was a massive f*** up. It just feels gross stating it like that.

Did you read Sheldon Kennedy's letter? He uses the same terminology in the letter. Seems to be a credo for his work -- work that Bowman had apparently been a part of for 2 years.

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
Anyone who actually watched the Oilers in the playoffs knows Nurse is not a "solid second pairing guy".
watching games is overrated. just because you put eyeballs to a screen doesn’t mean you have any special claim to epistemic verisimilitude. either way, i will reiterate, judging him as a bottom pair defenseman or worse is hyperbolic. if he makes less money, plays a lesser role, and has a better partner than cody ceci, i sincerely doubt he gets nearly as much criticism.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
watching games is overrated. just because you put eyeballs to a screen doesn’t mean you have any special claim to epistemic verisimilitude. either way, i will reiterate, judging him as a bottom pair defenseman or worse is hyperbolic. if he makes less money, plays a lesser role, and has a better partner than cody ceci, i sincerely doubt he gets nearly as much criticism.

Darnell Nurse looked *worse* than Ceci for a lot of their run. You can't always pin it on the partner. Ceci is what he is -- a bottom-pairing guy. Nurse is supposed to be a #1.

Hedman played a lot of Tampa's runs with guys like Luke Schenn, Zach Bogosian and Jan Rutta. If you're a great player, you elevate those around you. You don't suddenly look like complete shit because you're playing with a below-average player.

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
Darnell Nurse looked *worse* than Ceci for a lot of their run.
looks can be deceiving. my point is that just gesturing at the eye test isn’t an argument, no matter how much people want it to be.

You can't always pin it on the partner. Ceci is what he is -- a bottom-pairing guy. Nurse is supposed to be a #1.
what nurse is supposed to be doesn’t concern me. what he is, in my view, is a second pair guy making top pair money playing with bottom pair guys because the oil’s d core is ass.
Hedman played a lot of Tampa's runs with guys like Luke Schenn, Zach Bogosian and Jan Rutta. If you're a great player, you elevate those around you.
i believe all three of those players are better than ceci. bogo and rutta are arguable, but schenn for sure. but that’s beside the point. my contention is that nurse is paid like a “great” hedman level player when he’s not. you expect a 9 million dollar player to elevate mediocre to bad players. you don’t expect it to the same extent from a 4.5 million 18 minute a night dman.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Bowman was really good 10-15 but was awful after the 15 cup...he tried to retool with some of the trades and they never panned out then he panic sold Panarin who probably would've extended long term to stay with Kane...I'm curious to see if he has evolved since being out of the league as far as player type, he had his type of player that just consistently failed when he was trying to rebuild, he certainly failed up and imagine how f***ing lucky this guy is to go from one generational duo to the next...also bailed out on the Boqvist pick because now he has Bouchard on his roster, imagine that

Reactions: LavalPhantom

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

WHAT?! Come on dude you can't be serious. Nurse was absolutely awful. What in your mind was he doing well out there because to say "watching games is overrated" makes it seem like you have a narrative you're running with. You'd really want 6 more years of Nurse at $4.6m?

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
WHAT?! Come on dude you can't be serious. Nurse was absolutely awful. What in your mind was he doing well out there because to say "watching games is overrated" makes it seem like you have a narrative you're running with. You'd really want 6 more years of Nurse at $4.6m?
The stats watching thing is shtick. It's a bit he's done since he got here. He's not being serious.

If he actually thinks Nurse is even worth 4.5m per year... well then IDK what to say. Nurse is probably a mediocre #5 at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad