Confirmed with Link: Bowman is the new Oilers GM, Quenneville reinstated

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Hockey wise I just have no reason to believe Bowman has been able to read the pulse on the game for the last 9 years. I don't think he is good at identifying NHL talent and his idea of roster construction has proven to be wrong again and again. What the hell are the Oilers thinking? This is seriously just a room of 12 year olds going "Bowman won 3 Cups lets get him!"

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
100% agree with this. There are some REAL head scratchers in there, but the important factor for me is that Bowman was successful in an uber-challenging situation by filling out the roster in 2013-15 and built teams that put them in a position to win the Cup. (Not his fault in 2014 that the linesman miss a blatant off-side call and the Hawks would have stomped the Rangers in the finals). That was really difficult, and there are several recent teams which show just how difficult it is (Avs & TB as 2 teams with incredible cores that have struggled after they have to make difficult choices and pay the "Cup Tax").

Not claiming Bowman was a phenomenal GM - just that he's being portrayed as a simpleton who never accomplished anything and that's not accurate.
He got bailed out by the Kane injury.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Hockey wise I just have no reason to believe Bowman has been able to read the pulse on the game for the last 9 years. I don't think he is good at identifying NHL talent and his idea of roster construction has proven to be wrong again and again. What the hell are the Oilers thinking? This is seriously just a room of 12 year olds going "Bowman won 3 Cups lets get him!"

Their organization is so unlikeable. From the players all the way up to the GM now.

He got bailed out by the Kane injury.
Credit where credit is due. He did a great job retooling the roster each season to keep them in the Cup hunt for 7-8 years, and was a big part of why they were able to win 3 in 6 seasons. It's nonsense to think he didn't do that specific thing very well.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I'd like to thank the Edmonton Oilers organization for taking some of the heat off our backs and becoming the new most hated team in the league. Really appreciate it.
Couldn't possibly care less what other teams think of the Blackhawks. No one knows what they're talking about on the main boards, myself included, in 99% of those threads. It's all just superficial discussion and people running with narratives.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
looks can be deceiving. my point is that just gesturing at the eye test isn’t an argument, no matter how much people want it to be.

what nurse is supposed to be doesn’t concern me. what he is, in my view, is a second pair guy making top pair money playing with bottom pair guys because the oil’s d core is ass.

i believe all three of those players are better than ceci. bogo and rutta are arguable, but schenn for sure. but that’s beside the point. my contention is that nurse is paid like a “great” hedman level player when he’s not. you expect a 9 million dollar player to elevate mediocre to bad players. you don’t expect it to the same extent from a 4.5 million 18 minute a night dman.
:facepalm:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Couldn't possibly care less what other teams think of the Blackhawks. No one knows what they're talking about on the main boards, myself included, in 99% of those threads. It's all just superficial discussion and people running with narratives.
100%, who ever isn't a fan of the Hawks will take whatever small or big thing they can find to make fun of them. Who gives a f***? I'm here for the hockey on the ice, dont give a shit what happens off of it.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
WHAT?! Come on dude you can't be serious.
serious as a heart attack.

Nurse was absolutely awful.
never claimed he was good in these playoffs. you can find posts on the main boards where i mock his cap hit as a large factor in the oilers losing the final.

What in your mind was he doing well out there because to say "watching games is overrated" makes it seem like you have a narrative you're running with.
you are attributing things to me i never said, and muddying the waters. watching games is overrated for many reasons. the most pertinent to our current discussion is that people use it as a crutch when they don’t have any objective evidence or even subjective argument to back up their claim. witness how the entire time i’ve been having this discussion, with three or four separate people, the only thing that has been offered to contradict me is “but didn’t you see!?

the reason i’m saying what i’m saying is because nurse strikes me as a guy who ends up going somewhere else, by hook or by crook, makes less money, plays a lesser role, and does fine. it’s as simple as that. i don’t think he was good for the oilers this playoffs, and i certainly don’t think he’s victor hedman like the other guy seemed to think i was saying. i think he would probably be serviceable as a 5% of the cap player rather than a 10% of the cap player. doesn’t strike me as that far out of a claim.

what an argument. i can really see the deep font of wisdom and insight you’ve gained from the highly intellectual activity known as “watching hockey games”.

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
Sometimes a point of view is so dumb all it deserves is a facepalm.
clearly the person who thinks watching a sports game exempts them from having to think about or articulate a justification for their opinion is qualified to determine what arguments are too dumb to warrant a response.

this is what i mean right here. people for whom “watching games” is the end all be all for all discussion on the matter are so arrogant they think that someone telling them they have to give reasons why their assertions should be taken seriously can be dismissed, again with no reason. it is apparently too much to handle for them that someone wouldn’t respect the awesome power of their eyeballs to deliver unquestionable revelatory truth.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
clearly the person who thinks watching a sports game exempts them from having to think about or articulate a justification for their opinion is qualified to determine what arguments are too dumb to warrant a response.

this is what i mean right here. people for whom “watching games” is the end all be all for all discussion on the matter are so arrogant they think that someone telling them they have to give reasons why their assertions should be taken seriously can be dismissed, again with no reason. it is apparently too much to handle for them that someone wouldn’t respect the awesome power of their eyeballs to deliver unquestionable revelatory truth.
I covered everything I had to say in the first post directed at you, and my comment on Nurse's play is correct and justified, as anyone who knows the game will tell you.

He was terrible. End of story.

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
I covered everything I had to say in the first post directed at you
yes, and all you had to say was to the effect of “you are wrong because i saw a game and it gave me an impression which is contrary to your own”. no elaboration, no justification, just a bald faced assertion backed by nothing more than arrogant indignation that someone would say something that doesn’t jive with what you saw.

my comment on Nurse's play is correct and justified, as anyone who knows the game will tell you.
it could very well be correct, but you did nothing to justify it outside of your mind palace. note as well how we’ve moved from appealing to “anyone who watched” to “anyone who knows the game.” a subtle rhetorical equivocation, which is surely fallacious. does everyone who watches the game also know the game, or are we backpedaling a smidge?
He was terrible.
responding to an argument i never made, something i’ve pointed out multiple times now.

Crow

May 19, 2014
Thought nurse was pretty good in the SCF but complete ass in the rest of the playoffs. He is still a second pairing guy to me. So my eye test is different and you would have to explain why you believe yours is better, and an appeal to the masses of others eye tests is just a logical fallacy, not an actual reason.

Reactions: statswatcher

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
yes, and all you had to say was to the effect of “you are wrong because i saw a game and it gave me an impression which is contrary to your own”. no elaboration, no justification, just a bald faced assertion backed by nothing more than arrogant indignation that someone would say something that doesn’t jive with what you saw.

it could very well be correct, but you did nothing to justify it outside of your mind palace. note as well how we’ve moved from appealing to “anyone who watched” to “anyone who knows the game.” a subtle rhetorical equivocation, which is surely fallacious. does everyone who watches the game also know the game, or are we backpedaling a smidge?

responding to an argument i never made, something i’ve pointed out multiple times now.
The entire premise that a random person who doesn't watch the games, and forms his opinions on players value and abilities entirely on reading stats, is ridiculous.

Coming on a hockey board and arguing those opinions against people who have watched the player is beyond ridiculous.

I've spent more than enough time arguing about hockey with a person who doesn't watch it.

Thought nurse was pretty good in the SCF but complete ass in the rest of the playoffs. He is still a second pairing guy to me. So my eye test is different and you would have to explain why you believe yours is better, and an appeal to the masses of others eye tests is just a logical fallacy, not an actual reason.
Funny how you tell me I would have to explain why my eye test is better than yours, but you've done nothing to explain why yours is better than mine.

Nurse's mistakes and bad play lead to goals against throughout the playoffs.

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
The entire premise that a random person who doesn't watch the games, and forms his opinions on players value and abilities entirely on reading stats, is ridiculous.
if that’s the entire premise, then you should have said so. it still doesn’t bring you one iota closer to showing why i’m wrong. it’s actually a genetic fallacy that we can pile on top of the dual appeal to popularity/authority, but if it makes you feel better to say that the conversation you have nothing to add to but still participated in is stupid, have at it pal.
Funny how you tell me I would have to explain why my eye test is better than yours, but you've done nothing to explain why yours is better than mine.
my entire premise is this dick measuring contest of “my eyes are better than your eyes!” is actually the ridiculous thing. your eyes are irrelevant to the question of the soundness of your assertion. they are only relevant if someone asks you for the provenance of your assertion.

glad to see you taking baby steps towards making an actual point. it’s kiddy pool shallow, but you gotta start somewhere i suppose.

Crow

May 19, 2014

Coming on a hockey board and arguing those opinions against people who have watched the player is beyond ridiculous.

I've spent more than enough time arguing about hockey with a person who doesn't watch it.

I didn’t say mine was better. I said it was different.

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
I didn’t say mine was better. I said it was different.
you don’t understand. he saw it. how could he have possibly seen one thing while you saw another? it’s almost as if we aren’t actually talking about what we saw, but rather our respective interpretations of the same. that would be ridiculous though. i guess i need to watch more games so that i can have the genius level iq necessary to stop having such silly thoughts.

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois
I might agree if Vermette and Timonen had carried the freight and were difference makers. Just going from memory, but for the most part Vermette was marginal and KT was a 100% washed by that point.
Vermette won basically every faceoff and scored 3 game winning goals. He was worth that 1st round pick 100 percent.

thedarkstark

Jun 22, 2012
What a horrible move. Even if you put the blinders up on and ignore the baggage he was a horrible GM.

Stan inherited: Kane, Toews, Keith, Seabrook, Sharp, Crawford, Campbell, Hjalmerson, Bolland, Bickell, Byfuglien, Burish, Versteeg, Ladd, Kruger, Niemi

Aside from signing Hossa he did nothing but piss away talent.

Reactions: Blackhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad