Confirmed Signing with Link: [BOS] G Jeremy Swayman signs extension with the Bruins (8 years, $8.25M AAV)

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Can we take a second to praise Jeremy for rejecting the 68 million that was obviously totally offered and accepting 66 million instead the day after?

Why is nobody talking about this?

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
What does this have to do with Jeremy Swayman’s new contract?

There’s a dedicated sub forum for Toronto Maple Leafs talk last time I checked.
Is there a dedicated forum for wannabe "Leafs" fans who make the rest of us look bad?

That's where HockeyVirus (it's in his name) should be punted off to.

There's no way this dude is a Leafs fan and I'm putting myself out there to question him, knowing full well that maybe I'm attacking another forumite. But when you say the stuff this guy is saying all the time, on behalf of Leafs fans, I feel like I should have the ability to call BS.

:shoulder shrug hands up in the air emoji:

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
$8.25M for a goalie who hasn't been a full-time starter before lol. Adin Hill is more proven than Swayman and he got 5M.

It ain’t personal, but this is kind of why I side with Neely on the initial negotiations.

This contract makes sense now. It won’t if Swayman doesn’t take 55-60 starts with high-end results.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Lets hope Swayman can remain as a top 10 goalie for the next 8 years (even though he's paid like a top 3 goalie in the NHL, which he is not.).

Hope he's not the next Andrew Hammond.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Can we take a second to praise Jeremy for rejecting the 68 million that was obviously totally offered and accepting 66 million instead the day after?

Geez - math is definitely not your strong suit. Nobody is talking about it ( well except for you ) because what you posted is completely inaccurate. Let's take a closer look at this problem - Neely mentioned $64 million but Swayman signed an 8-year deal for $8.25 million a season which comes out to $68 million. Anymore math questions ????

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
I would have kept Ullmark. I don't think Swayman is $3.25M per season better.

Ullmark at $5M per or Swayman at 8.25M per and for 8 years? Give me Ullmark.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Geez - math is definitely not your strong suit. Nobody is talking about it ( well except for you ) because what you posted is completely inaccurate. Let's take a closer look at this problem - Neely mentioned $64 million but Swayman signed an 8-year deal for $8.25 million a season which comes out to $68 million. Anymore math questions ????
Already answered Bob (by someone who wasn't a total douche) - geez reading is definitely not your strong suit.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

We don't know what the actual terms were for the previous offer that he allegedly rejected.

He ended up with 23M in signing bonuses and a NMC for all but two of the eligible years. It is possible that Boston wasn't previously offering a NMC, or didn't want to do signing bonuses.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Swayman f***ed the Bruins real good here.

Wouldn't be surprised if Korpisalo held more trade value than Swayman by next season.
Based on…?

I would have kept Ullmark. I don't think Swayman is $3.25M per season better.

Ullmark at $5M per or Swayman at 8.25M per and for 8 years? Give me Ullmark.
For one more season.

Then he’s likely looking at a long term contract for around the same amount of money while being on the wrong side of 30

That’s assuming he has a good year in Ottawa… which basically no goalie does

Reactions: I Hate Philadelphia

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Swayman career .922 in the playoffs.

UIlmark crumbled in the playoffs at every opportunity. Career .887.

That's the difference.

True but that's still a long time to commit to a goalie who hasn't been a full time starter yet. He's getting franchise goalie money and I'm not even 100% convinced that he's a franchise goalie.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Honestly... this is a deal that will likely never really look all that bad.

He's tied as the 4th highest paid goalie in the league this year... and that's going to be a tie for #5 next year, maybe #6 depending on what Oettinger gets.

Yes, it "hurts" this year a bit, as they've gone from a $8.475m goaltending tandem to an $11.25m tandem.... when the right thing from a team standpoint would have probably been to do a 4 or 5 year deal at $6-7m, keeping their tandem under $10m... but that obviously wasn't in the cards.

There's also the challenge of having to beat 4 different teams to win a cup, and the likelyhood that at least 1 of them has a goalie making a fraction of Swayman's salary going toe-to-toe, and the team being outmatched as a result, but there's no real way "around" that unless the B's were going to reset entirely.

Even in that case, it's not like people are going to "blame" Swayman if Joe Woll, Pyotr Kotchekov, or Charlie Lindgren end up beating the Bruins... it'll come down to the fact that one of those 3 teams had $7m more to spend infront of the goalie.

Barring him completely collapsing under a #1 workload & pressure (which doesn't seem to be his makeup), this has all the makings of being as much of a steal as Hellebuyck was for the Jets for the last 6 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad