Salary Cap: Bodie, Ranger, Kuli, Raymond, Bolland, & McClement: What to do with our UFAs?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
Raymond
Bodie
Kuli
McClement
Ranger
Bolland

What happens to them realistically when the season ends?

They all want raises. Would you give it to them.

I guess there's a bit more money next year once Tucker and Armstrong are off the books.

Have you looked at the UFA list for next season? Anyone you want?

Bolland @ 4 years 4.5 mil/yr
Bodie @ 2 years 1 mil/yr
McClement @ 3 years 2 mil/yr
Kulie @ 3 years 3.5 mil/yr

That's the most I offer. Kulie wants to stay, he'd take a discount. He hasn't shown what got him his last contract, he should be happy at 3.5. He'll get more elsewhere.

Bolland wants more, but doesn't deserve it. But look at what Bozak got.

Bodie is great but replaceable, so he shouldn't be reaching for the stars.

McClement is the only one I'm concerned with. We need him or Bolland back.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Bodie @ 2 years 1 mil/yr

That's the most I offer. Kulie wants to stay, he'd take a discount. He hasn't shown what got him his last contract, he should be happy at 3.5. He'll get more elsewhere.

We're at 49.5m. The cap could be 68m or 71m, but for everything we're hearing it's likely 68. That leaves 18.5m for 10 players. You just spent 11 of that on 4 with Franson, Reimer, Ranger, Raymond and D'Amigo or replacements to go. 7.5m left for 2 dmen, a backup, and at least 2 forwards. And that includes no upgrade on this team. Next season Bernier and Kadri are up. Year after? Gunnarsson and Rielly. At best we'll see a 5m raise in cap space between now and then losing only Gleason and Orr, which will still have replacements. Unless of course the Can dollar rebounds, but no one expects that

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Bodie @ 2 years 1 mil/yr

Yeah lets give all the players significant raises despite playing like horse**** and failure to produce his season. McClement's 10 points whilst leading the league worst PK really deserves a 500k raise, definitely

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Kulemin, McClement and Bodie are the only 3 I'd bother with. Bolland's asking the sky and Raymond's replaceable. Ranger I'd only keep if he comes cheap.

A 1m 20 goal scorer is replaceable? Who is replacing Bolland? We have no one even close in the system that can take on 3rd line duties on a supposed playoff caliber team. Who do we have who will be better than Raymond was? Not Leivo. He'll be a rookie. Who is replacing Ranger? Another rookie?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The UFA forwards are among the only Leaf players that know how to play defense at least to some extent.

Leafs are poor defensively.

See the problem here that losing them makes the team weaker defensively not stronger?.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
A 1m 20 goal scorer is replaceable? Who is replacing Bolland? We have no one even close in the system that can take on 3rd line duties on a supposed playoff caliber team. Who do we have who will be better than Raymond was? Not Leivo. He'll be a rookie. Who is replacing Ranger? Another rookie?

Raymond won't be a 1M dollar player next year. Probably 3. If Lupul makes 5, how can Raymond not get at least 3 when Raymond does everything Lupul does and also plays the PK. And actually I'd rather keep Raymond and trade Lupul.

ForSpareParts*

Do you think if we still had Blacker he'd be playing next season?

Damn I wish Kadri didn't get suspended. D is what we need the most.

Marian Gaborik

Sep 20, 2005
Do you think if we still had Blacker he'd be playing next season?

Damn I wish Kadri didn't get suspended. D is what we need the most.

The Leafs are fairly deep in terms of defensive prospects, which made Blacker expendable.

Marlow88

Dec 29, 2013
I think we have to take a look at the long term when it comes to cap management. Assuming a salary cap of 70 Million, Phil Kessel ($8 Million or 11% of cap) and Dion Phaneuf ( $7 Million or 10 % of cap ) and David Clarkson ($5 Million 7.1% of cap) occupy about 28% of your cap space.

If the Leafs do the stupid thing and lock up David Bolland, how will they be able to afford Morgan Rielly when his contract comes up due?

Hopefully the Leaf management will remember that they have to maintain cap flexibility for the future, to sign the rising stars like Morgan Rielly.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
I think we have to take a look at the long term when it comes to cap management. Assuming a salary cap of 70 Million, Phil Kessel ($8 Million or 11% of cap) and Dion Phaneuf ( $7 Million or 10 % of cap ) and David Clarkson ($5 Million 7.1% of cap) occupy about 28% of your cap space.

If the Leafs do the stupid thing and lock up David Bolland, how will they be able to afford Morgan Rielly when his contract comes up due?

Hopefully the Leaf management will remember that they have to maintain cap flexibility for the future, to sign the rising stars like Morgan Rielly.

Rielly is in no position to demand any salary for another 4+ years. 2 more years of ELC, and then likely a bridge contract of 2 years after that like we have done with other young players (no arbitration rights here).

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Raymond
Bodie
Kuli
McClement
Ranger
Bolland

What happens to them realistically when the season ends?

They all want raises. Would you give it to them.

I guess there's a bit more money next year once Tucker and Armstrong are off the books.

Have you looked at the UFA list for next season? Anyone you want?

Bodie, Bolland, Ranger, Kulemin, McClement, Raymond. With all else being equal, this is the list of players I'd keep, with the most important first.

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
Yeah lets give all the players significant raises despite playing like horse**** and failure to produce his season. McClement's 10 points whilst leading the league worst PK really deserves a 500k raise, definitely

Would love to see what the team's PK would be like without McClement and Bolland.

Kulemin is solid on the defensive end, but being a UFA he'll get a raise.

Bodie can be tossed around between 3rd and 4th line, 1 mil is what Raffl got, imo they're worth the same.

Bolland's barely getting a raise and will get big money come UFA. 4.5 x 4 is a steal compared to what he'll get.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Raymond: Our club seldom seems to sell high, and while I like Raymond's performance (outside cap consideration) I think he's a player that we mo e while is value is higher than it's been in some time.

Goal: Package with other assets for one quality player, or try to flip for a 2nd in '15.

Kulemin and McClement: Retain at reasonable contracts. Chemistry is a tough,thing to replicate as we saw with the removal of a large portion of it either through buyout, release or benching. If this club ignores players with work ethic, defensive conscience and familiarity/chemistry...It's the type of thing Toronto clubs have done to their detriment in the past and the kind of thing Detroit haven't to their lasting satisfaction.

Goal: Reasonable contract signing.

Bolland: I'd like to keep him. I thought when healthy, he was everything this club brought him here for. Some believe he's asking for too much. Perhaps slightly, but if he continued to perform as he did when healthy, I'd give him 5 and the C.

His contract demands would go down much differently if Clarkson and Dion were wearing another sweater. Has anyone else noticed how well Bolland responded to Toronto's pressure? I don't know if it's him or the two rings, but he has everything this fan base and club wants.

Goal: Keep him...Move one or both of the albatross contracts to do it.

Bodie: Ashton,D'Amigo,Holland,Leivo deserve the ice time if the Leafs future is of any interest. If any pick in any year is available, take it and run.

Goal: Give his ice time to the better talent waiting in the Marlies.

Ranger: Why Brennan isn't up is baffling. If Ranger comes back, he's fine at around the 1.5/yr mark anything else...Replace from within.

Goal: Retain at modest increase or flip for anything or allow commitment to void.

Reimer: I'd wait to see what happens with Carlyle. Another coach and another Bernier injury could be just the sow's ear into a silk purse moment the hockey gods owe our club. If Reimer regains form the return is better and obviously better for our club. His salary is cap friendly for a 1b...Barring the Islanders accepting him, Kadri and prospect/pick for Tavares type opportunity, the club shouldn't knee jerk into another Gustavsson give.

Goal: Wait and maximize the asset.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Would love to see what the team's PK would be like without McClement and Bolland.

Bodie can be tossed around between 3rd and 4th line, 1 mil is what Raffl got, imo they're worth the same.

Bolland's barely getting a raise and will get big money come UFA. 4.5 x 4 is a steal compared to what he'll get.

Would either be worse than the 28th best PK in the league and still miss the playoffs. Or better and possibly make the playoffs. Seems like a low risk idea to move on from them as it's hard to get much worse.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario

any team who signs Bolland to longer then a 2 year deal will be making a huge mistake with his injury issue's and will wish they never signed him.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Giving bolland the rumored contract would be the last blow to the leafs. After that they have a ****** core signed long term all on (arguably) over paid contracts.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
keep Bodie, Keep McClemment if he's cheap, keep Raymond is it's reasonable, happy trails everyone else.

Bolland I'd take back at a couple mill a year short term, but he apparently wants the ****ing world so adios.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Raymond won't be a 1M dollar player next year. Probably 3. If Lupul makes 5, how can Raymond not get at least 3 when Raymond does everything Lupul does and also plays the PK. And actually I'd rather keep Raymond and trade Lupul.

I'm not arguing it, it's actually been my point for a while. We can't afford the same team because the value of some of the contracts were great and will be extremely hard to replace, ergo, we won't be better without getting rid of the low value high price contracts

Mindrust

Feb 28, 2013
Sign Kuli, Bodie, McL, Ranger.

Let Bolland, Raymond walk. If Bolland gets signed, I'll be angry. Dude's made of glass.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
If Nonis is considering to resign him, hopefully he gets canned as well. We need to go lean and look at moving everyone just entering their prime. That includes Kessel and Phaneuf.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad