Salary Cap: Bodie, Ranger, Kuli, Raymond, Bolland, & McClement: What to do with our UFAs?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Raymond - see ya later.

Bodie - re-sign for cheap

Kuli - re-sign if you can low ball him into a deal. Otherwise see ya later

McClement - will be resigned for cheap.

Ranger - re-sign for cheap

Bolland - see ya later.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
i'd keep:

Bodie
McClement
Ranger

Bodie i think is fine on a 4th line.

McClement i'd like to keep, but not if he wants a lot of money.

Ranger I think would be nice to keep if he remains cheap... but it depends on what moves we make with our defense. I would like to get rid of Franson and one of Gunner or Gleason, and put in Ranger and ideally a good D we pick up.

I would like to keep Kulemin as a 3rd liner, but he's gonna want too much money. And the fact that he can't really score any more makes him not worth the money he is going to want.

Kyle Doobas*

Man if Nonis trades Kadri for nothing, and then re-signs Bolland to a #2 center contract... that would be horrendous.
As little faith as I have in this management group, they're not going to trade Kadri 'for nothing'.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Keep Bodie for the 4th line next year. Let everyone else walk. They can all be adequately replaced by kids on the farm for a fraction of the cap space.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
So what the heck do we do about all the picks we spent on Bolland. How do you lose him? And you can't lose Kules for nothing I mean seriously, and with Raymond gone who fills the CMac void now?
Help!

ForSpareParts*

I can't believe all the resentment towards Bolland.

He's a decent player folks.

Hardly worth ripping since he's only played a handful of games for the buds.

Is it just that you ass/u/me he's getting 5 million and long term?

Rizzy13

Jan 26, 2009
I would definitely keep McClement and Bodie. And most likely Kulemin. McClement can win draws and works hard and usually gets the puck out when he has the opportunity unlike most of our players. Bodie is just a strong skater, tries to crash the net, cycles and can fill in on the third line nicely when needed. And Kulemin... I just like Kulemin. Few random penalties, but besides that, he's not a liability. Sign McClement and Bodie cheap, Kulemin I don't know.

McGuiresMonsters

Oct 31, 2011
Toronto
I'd keep Ranger and McSelke if he signs for 2M or less.

The rest will probably want much more than they're worth. I'd take Kuli or Bolland back at 3M, but I don't see it happening. This team has an abundance of overpaid FA's already, so we can't keep signing more.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Truth is time to dump Dion and use the money to get Kules / Bolland back. Then you can reorder and see who else we can keep.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
I can't believe all the resentment towards Bolland.

He's a decent player folks.

Hardly worth ripping since he's only played a handful of games for the buds.

Is it just that you ass/u/me he's getting 5 million and long term?

I don't think anyone thinks he isn't decent. He just isn't a player you tie your wagon to. Kadri could be. What we saw at the beginning of the year is the best hockey we will ever get out of Bolland regardless of if we sign him or not. My money is on Bolland taking a nice cheque from Tallon and the Panthers. They love signing good depth players to absurd contracts down there. Plus he has his cups, time for him to hit the jackpot money wise.

Kyle Doobas*

Truth is time to dump Dion and use the money to get Kules / Bolland back. Then you can reorder and see who else we can keep.
I don't understand this mentality. If Kulemin wants $3.5M and Bolland wants $4.5M or whatever.... those aren't reasonable deals that we're simply unable to sign them to because of Phaneuf/Clarkson. They're bad deals, just like Phaneuf/Clarkson.

You don't move out guys that you signed for too much, or neglect to sign UFAs for too much.... in order to sign other guys for too much.

His value is decreasing though. I wouldn't put it past management to give up on him at this point.
Fair enough. After the Clarkson contract, I guess I wouldn't put anything past this management group.

I don't think anyone thinks he isn't decent. He just isn't a player you tie your wagon to. Kadri could be.
His ceiling is more or less Mike Ribeiro. I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Keep Kulemin and McClement. Try to keep Bolland if possible, but likely the money doesn't make sense.

Nonis (or his replacement) will be hard pressed to find replacements in the offseason this year.

I don't really think those three are the problem. Bolland and McClement is an excellent #3/4 punch, assuming Bolland can stay somewhat healthy. The problems lie in the top six center/defensive strength and the defense group itself.

Bolland won't be an "excellent #3" with the money and term he wants.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I don't understand this mentality. If Kulemin wants $3.5M and Bolland wants $4.5M or whatever.... those aren't reasonable deals that we're simply unable to sign them to because of Phaneuf/Clarkson. They're bad deals, just like Phaneuf/Clarkson.

You don't move out guys that you signed for too much, or neglect to sign UFAs for too much.... in order to sign other guys for too much.

Fair enough. After the Clarkson contract, I guess I wouldn't put anything past this management group.

His ceiling is more or less Mike Ribeiro. I wouldn't get my hopes up.

So let them all pretty much walk and just scrape up some scrap off the FA. Great idea, gonna get a lot closer to a cup like that for sure.

We love giving away and getting nothing back in return in Nonis' Leafs land. It's our new way, don't need picks our UFAs hell naw we will just discard our prospects for junk and spend that on more rentals.

Go leafs!

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
So what the heck do we do about all the picks we spent on Bolland. How do you lose him? And you can't lose Kules for nothing I mean seriously, and with Raymond gone who fills the CMac void now?
Help!

you can't do anything about those picks you have to just accept that that was a mistake and move on. you don't compound the problem by signing him to a terrible contract.

as far as Raymond there are always players in his role available for cheap in late August still without a deal

Kyle Doobas*

So let them all pretty much walk and just scrape up some scrap off the FA. Great idea, gonna get a lot closer to a cup like that for sure.
You think poor cap management is going to get us closer to a Cup?

There's next to nothing Kulemin brings at this point that couldn't be more or less replaced by a D'Amigo or Ashton for a fraction of the cost. Bolland isn't immediately replaceable, but a guy like Holland would be sufficient enough that we don't need to be re-signing Bolland to any long-term deal worth $4.5M or so.

We love giving away and getting nothing back in return in Nonis' Leafs land. It's our new way, don't need picks our UFAs hell naw we will just discard our prospects for junk and spend that on more rentals.
.....this isn't even coherent. I think I might actually agree with you, but I can't really tell.

Last edited by a moderator:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
you can't do anything about those picks you have to just accept that that was a mistake and move on. you don't compound the problem by signing him to a terrible contract.

as far as Raymond there are always players in his role available for cheap in late August still without a deal

I get that but where is the progress coming from? Or were we yet again so deluded that we would be a playoff team that these guys earned the right to play yet again instead of dumping guys like CMac at the TDL last year.

It's just nuts what management is doing and has done. Show me all the terrible mistakes other teams coming up are making. We are by far the worst and our track record proves it.

New boss same as old boss who was same as boss before him.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don't mind Ranger on the bottom pair. The rest can go.

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
For the longest time I wanted to re-sign Kulemin, McClement, etc.

But this team just needs a total overhaul. We always seem so committed to re-signing our UFAs, but why? This team has accomplished nothing. Time to get some fresh faces in here.

Next year, D’Amigo should be a shoe-in for the third line. Holland should be somewhere in the lineup for sure, in an offensive role of some capacity. I’ve been posting this everywhere but if we could flip our 1st + Dion (+?) for the 1st overall and nab Reinhart, and trade Phil (as much as I love him) to Anaheim for Fowler ++, we’d be on the right track IMO. We need a huge culture change, and it’s pretty obvious that you can’t win without strength down the middle. We need to build a team, not a group of individuals, and IMO a core of Reinhart, Rielly, Fowler, JVR looks closer to a successful franchise than our current group of outcasts.

I’d keep Kadri another season. This is effectively his sophomore season, and while I don’t think he ever becomes a 1C, if he could consistently play with an edge and a higher compete level all over the ice, he could be a dandy. Run with Bozak – Kadri – Reinhart down the middle next year.

This will never happen. Ever. Sigh.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
You think poor cap management is going to get us closer to a Cup?

There's next to nothing Kulemin brings at this point that couldn't be more or less replaced by a D'Amigo or Ashton for a fraction of the cost. Bolland isn't immediately replaceable, but a guy like Holland would be sufficient enough that we don't need to be re-signing Bolland to any long-term deal worth $4.5M or so.

.....this isn't even coherent.

Damn right it is Marco.

Grabo legit top 6 return 0 expense 15m

CMac legit top 6 return 0

Colborne return 4th used for other plug

Bolland 3 picks rental 20 game played probable 0 return on investment did not even help us secure playoff spot.

Komarov failed negotiation 0 return

Holland a Colborne equiv. cost 3x as much as Colborne

Raymond rental no real cap to resign probable return of 0

Kulemin probable return 0

Clarkson untradeable anchor probable return and net value 0 or -5.25m

Ryan O'Byrne yep value 0 cost a pick

Reimer TBD

Franson TBD

That's some mighty bit of smooth right there I tell ya.

Ps. Nonis is a freaking butcher!

Kyle Doobas*

Grabo legit top 6 return 0 expense 15m
CMac legit top 6 return 0
Colborne return 4th used for other plug
Bolland 3 picks rental 20 game played probable 0 return on investment did not even help us secure playoff spot.
Komarov failed negotiation 0 return
Holland a Colborne equiv. cost 3x as much as Colborne
Raymond rental no real cap to resign probable return of 0
Kulemin probable return 0
Clarkson untradeable anchor probable return and net value 0 or -5.25m
Ryan O'Byrne yep value 0 cost a pick
Reimer TBD
Franson TBD
Oh... okay, then yeah, I do agree with you. :laugh:

The beginning of the end for me was the '12 deadline when we were in free-fall with a handful of pending UFAs and Burke did nothing, claiming he 'still believed in the team', blah blah blah. Predictably, we finished as a basement team and ended up losing Grabovski, MacArthur, Armstrong, etc. for nothing.

Again, this past deadline, at least a couple of Raymond, Kulemin, Reimer, Franson, etc. should've been gone. Trading picks for Bolland, only to have him likely walk at the end of the season? And then Nonis turns around and says he didn't expect us to be a playoff team anyway? Just awful asset management.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad