Salary Cap: Bodie, Ranger, Kuli, Raymond, Bolland, & McClement: What to do with our UFAs?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hotel Mario

Feb 4, 2013
Thunder Bay
Bodie: Cheap, can skate, keep

Ranger: Good as a cheap #7D, keep

Kulemin: A short term deal at about 3-3.5M, or GTF:rant:

Raymond: Should be Off this eFfen Team

Bolland: A short term deal at approximately 3.5-4M or GTF:rant:

Mcclement: Resign under the condition that Carlyle is fired, and that he is used as the fourth line center. Not a high enough caliber player offensively to deserve extensive minutes. Also less than 2M and short term or GTF:rant:

Overall: The list of players above are collectively average to below average. If I'm Nonis and value my job I'm certainly not moving heaven and earth to keep any of the above players. This mistake has already been made with Clarkson and must not happen again !

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Oh... okay, then yeah, I do agree with you. :laugh:

The beginning of the end for me was the '12 deadline when we were in free-fall with a handful of pending UFAs and Burke did nothing, claiming he 'still believed in the team', blah blah blah. Predictably, we finished as a basement team and ended up losing Grabovski, MacArthur, Armstrong, etc. for nothing.

Again, this past deadline, at least a couple of Raymond, Kulemin, Reimer, Franson, etc. should've been gone. Trading picks for Bolland, only to have him likely walk at the end of the season anyway? Just awful asset management.

Exactly he lacks foresight to ditch assets when they have value to the future of the club. It's a terrible flaw and goes against the most basic fundamentals of his job...

To manage assets cap and improve the team in order to reach the ultimate goal of being a competitive Franchise.

If You get no value for your assets and work and signings beforehand then this means we need to use picks and money to overcome the holes left when they leave.

In other words, we are the welfare team of the NHL relying on what we get from the state at draft. We then trade our food stamps for players who cost to much and we have to let them go and get back in line for more food stamps next year.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I get that but where is the progress coming from? Or were we yet again so deluded that we would be a playoff team that these guys earned the right to play yet again instead of dumping guys like CMac at the TDL last year.

It's just nuts what management is doing and has done. Show me all the terrible mistakes other teams coming up are making. We are by far the worst and our track record proves it.

New boss same as old boss who was same as boss before him.

I know I'm with you, one of the biggest problems with this organization is the inability to realize when it's time to trade someone instead of re-signing them because there on a downward trend and the new deal will remove whatever value the play has left. this has happened for players like Tucker, McCabe, Liles, Grabo, CMac and probably happens again this year with Bolland and Kulemin walking for nothing. what kind of assets could we have gotten for those guys at the deadline prior to signing there last contract with the Leafs? atleast 3 first couple 2nd's and probably 4-5 good prospects at the very least.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Should have sold these guys at the deadline. They're simply eating up too much of our cap, especially with Gardiner due for a raise this offseason, and Kadri/Bernier the summer after that.

Our farm system may not be the most talented in the world, but what it IS loaded with are projected 3rd line forwards. Maybe resign one of Kulemin/Bolland/Raymond, but definitely don't resign all three.

Let them walk, let them find big caphits and longterm contracts elsewhere. This team needs to create some flexibility going forward, so that maybe we'll actually be in a GOOD cap situation come the 2015 or 2016 summer periods, and by then some combination of Holland/Leivo/Ashton/D'Amigo/etc should have helped fill in some of those holes in the lineup create by letting these guys walk.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I know I'm with you, one of the biggest problems with this organization is the inability to realize when it's time to trade someone instead of re-signing them because there on a downward trend and the new deal will remove whatever value the play has left. this has happened for players like Tucker, McCabe, Liles, Grabo, CMac and probably happens again this year with Bolland and Kulemin walking for nothing. what kind of assets could we have gotten for those guys at the deadline prior to signing there last contract with the Leafs? atleast 3 first couple 2nd's and probably 4-5 good prospects at the very least.

Exactly! It's operating at a deficit, if players are money we don't use our players to make more money ever. That's why we chase the pack. Chicago trades non core for the chance to make new money. They raise them if they are really good they stick and if not they sell them off or sell someone else but the point is they get money(players or picks) in return and seldom take a hit.

That's the only difference between a well run organization and a poorly run one, that and fortune of drafting high a few times and hitting the money.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
This. They are all garbage fringe players that bring nothing to the table.

Other then Bodie for cheap let rest of the scraps walk. Bring in youth

I understand that but we don't have any non 1st round picks for like 2yrs. Ok actually we have some 5ths and 6ths maybe a 3rd, so when they are all gone for nothing then what? We start selling picks into the 3rd an 4th years to satisfy the now and fill the roster?

Ace88*

Lieweke will make sure son-in-law Bodie is back. We need to keep Kulemin and i dont care much about the rest...but that puts a lot of pressure on Holland.

My Sweet Shadow

Sep 5, 2008
Sioux Lookout, ON
The only two I'd definitely keep are Kulemin and McClement (as long as they both are willing to sign for a reasonable amount). Kulemin is a good 3rd line fit, who can move up or down the line-up when needed and McClement is a solid 4th line centre / PKer, who can do spot-duty on the 3rd line if needed.

Bolland would be a nice 3rd line centre option, but if he's asking for $5M like some of the rumors suggest, then it's definitely not worth it.

Bodie and Ranger are easily replaced and Raymond is a little too streaky for a 2nd line winger (it would also be nice to have someone who is better on the cycle).

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
The kids better pan out that's all I can say.

can the kids really be worse?

i actually think it was the biggest mistake of our coaches/gms not playing the kids in insulated rolls and setting them up to succeed.

i also find it pretty amazing the difference between the marlies compete level and the maple leafs. we might not have elite talent in the pipeline but we have pretty solid blue collar guys with work ethic which just might be what we need. the kids are hungry, we should see what we have.

as far as im concerned, the players signed for next year are;

jvr-bozak-kessel
lupul-kadri-xxxxx
xxxxx-xxxxx-clarkson
xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx
xxxxx

phaneuf-gunnarson
rielly-xxxxx
xxxxx-xxxxx

bernier

if we can get the guys in the op locked up on cheap 1 or 2 year deals then its one thing but why overpay in dollar and term for dime a dozen players.

in the ops list of ufas the only one i would bring back 100% would be bodie. he is cheap and hustles. apparently ranger only wants to play with the leafs so might sign a similar priced one year deal. the rest of the free agents its pretty scary to think of locking up these guys at big bucks and term. even mclemment who i like the most scares me at $2 million. what nhl team pays their 4th line center $2 million?

imo we can replace raymond and kulemin with damigo and ashton. we can replace bolland with holland, and we can sign a 4th line center for under $1 million.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
They should re sign Bolland. The guy is a winner.

Bodie should be re signed as well.

But, for how much? :dunno: Would Clarkson money be too much?

Is he really a winner without his Blackhawk teammates? :dunno:

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Bodie and Kulemin are the only ones I care about keeping.

Ranger and McClement I'd keep if they re-sign for the same money and 2 year terms.

Bolland, no thanks, too injury prone, not worth the long term cap hit he'll get, and I'd rather use that roster spot to develop Holland.

Raymond, no thanks, replace with a Marlie or a cheap grinder (ideally Komarov).

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Bodie: Cheap, can skate, keep

Ranger: Good as a cheap #7D, keep

Kulemin: A short term deal at about 3-3.5M, or GTF:rant:

Raymond: Should be Off this eFfen Team

Bolland: A short term deal at approximately 3.5-4M or GTF:rant:

Mcclement: Resign under the condition that Carlyle is fired, and that he is used as the fourth line center. Not a high enough caliber player offensively to deserve extensive minutes. Also less than 2M and short term or GTF:rant:

Overall: The list of players above are collectively average to below average. If I'm Nonis and value my job I'm certainly not moving heaven and earth to keep any of the above players. This mistake has already been made with Clarkson and must not happen again !

Raymond is no softer than Kessel!

He can be surrounded by tougher players.

His 19 goals have been useful in the secondary scoring department.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Bodie and Kulemin are the only ones I care about keeping.

Ranger and McClement I'd keep if they re-sign for the same money and 2 year terms.

Bolland, no thanks, too injury prone, not worth the long term cap hit he'll get, and I'd rather use that roster spot to develop Holland.

Raymond, no thanks, replace with a Marlie or a cheap grinder (ideally Komarov).

Who can replace his 19 goals? :dunno:

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
He really earned another season IMHO. He was much better than Clarkson at a fraction of the price! :amazed:

Cheap 3rd & 4th lines for next season:

D'Amigo Holland Ashton
Bodie McClement ----------

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Bodie should be kept, great 4th liner and I can't imagine it'll cost much.

McClement is having a terrible year but is still a great defensive center and shouldn't be expensive

Kulemin would be a good keep if you can get him cheap. He's still a solid 3rd line player.

Raymond is useless unless you're in a fall down competition

Ranger and Bolland can go as well. Not terrible, but not worth the money, especially in Bolland's case.

Ranger only wanted to play in Toronto and only made a million dollars. If we can sign him for similar money then we should.

He work as a good # 6/7 Dman and buys us some development time for guys like Percy, Granberg, Finn who shouldn't be counted on to break camp with the team.

Ranger also improved as the season has gone on and I'm expecting him to be a bit better next season.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Why are people such a fan of Kulemin ? I dont get it at all another 3rd liner we have plenty of those in the AHL

Emotional attachment. A home grown player for a once, scored 30 goals. Fans still hoping that Kuli will be back and score 30 goals.

Same fans waiting for Setagouchi to score 30 goals. Not happening. They overachieved in their respective years. Move on.

He's too quiet, not emotions, can hit but doesn't do in on a consistent basis. Apparently he's a good defensive player, which makes no sense since we are 28 on the PK. Only 4 teams have given up more goals than we have. Oilers, Sens, Florida and Isles

So please. Lets move on from these players.

Bolland. Yeah he has won two stanly cups. But that's not going to get us in the playoffs. He's going to want a long term home run contract. We have 4 of those I believe.

Raymond.......... Pls GTFO ....
Mec........ See Kulimen

Bodie is the only player who brings any value. Good size, skater and a forechecker. He'll come cheap.

Ranger. I wouldn't mind for cheap.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Raymond: depends on how much he'll ask for
Bodie: sign him for cheap, he would be a great fourth liner if the entire team would stay healthy
Kuli: same as Raymond
McClement: same as Bodie
Ranger: let him walk
Bolland: same as Kuli and Raymond

FriedEgg

Sep 26, 2009
Raymond
Bodie
Kuli
McClement
Ranger
Bolland

What happens to them realistically when the season ends?

They all want raises. Would you give it to them.

I guess there's a bit more money next year once Tucker and Armstrong are off the books.

Have you looked at the UFA list for next season? Anyone you want?

Other then Bodie you could argue all are replaceable with marlies at a cheaper price.

e84*

I'd look at keeping:

Bodie
Ranger
Kuli
Bolland

all at the right price of course.

McClement can get lost... I've had enough of this bird and his stone hands. His best asset is allegedly the penalty kill but we stand 28/30 in that ranking. Of course he's not the only one responsible but he's a big part considering it's his specialty area.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad