Confirmed with Link: Blues sign 2 Oilers to offer sheets!

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Wow. Anyone know the terms? I cancelled my Athletic subs. I like the move, although I am nervous about payback with our young players. But these are good targets to use our cap space

Holloway will make a killer 3c behind Thomas and Dvorsky down the line. He is super versatile, big, good 2-way guy. His offensive upside is limited, but worst case he is a bottom 6 guy that's tough to play against.

Briberg always had potential. But he never really put it together until last year. If he hits, great pick up. I'm just worried we overpaid with teem based in a small sample size of the end of last years playoff run. Will know more about giw I feel after seeing the deal

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Wow. Anyone know the terms? I cancelled my Athletic subs. I like the move, although I am nervous about payback with our young players. But these are good targets to use our cap space

Holloway will make a killer 3c behind Thomas and Dvorsky down the line. He is super versatile, big, good 2-way guy. His offensive upside is limited, but worst case he is a bottom 6 guy that's tough to play against.

Briberg always had potential. But he never really put it together until last year. If he hits, great pick up. I'm just worried we overpaid with teem based in a small sample size of the end of last years playoff run. Will know more about giw I feel after seeing the deal
2x$4,580,917 for Broberg (2nd Round Pick)
2x$2,290,457 for Holloway (3rd Round Pick)

Doug gave them the maximum allowed for their respective draft pick comps

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
2x$4,580,917 for Broberg (2nd Round Pick)
2x$2,290,457 for Holloway (3rd Round Pick)

Doug gave them the maximum allowed for their respective draft pick comps

Thank you. Broberg is high but makes it less likely Edmonton matches. I like the Hollaway deal, which makes it more likely they match. Overall, fine with both given we have the cap space.

Very curious to see where this goes. If EDM passes on both and Broberg plays like he did at the end of the playoffs consistently, we are a playoff team and could do damage. Big ifs though.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Thank you. Broberg is high but makes it less likely Edmonton matches. I like the Hollaway deal, which makes it more likely they match. Overall, fine with both given we have the cap space.

Very curious to see where this goes. If EDM passes on both and Broberg plays like he did at the end of the playoffs consistently, we are a playoff team and could do damage. Big ifs though.
100% the Broberg deal is an overpay, but, it's made to be one. It's made to f*** over Holland and the Oilers, and I love it

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010

Playoff team, sure.

Do damage in the POs? I doubt it unless Binnington or Hofer perform at a historical level. Forward defense is still not good and Blues were not a good even strength team last year (goaltending masked how bad they were).

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Looks like Doug is preparing for the necessary compensation as he just got a 2nd round pick. I guess our 2026 3rd would go to the Oilers as compensation since 2025 was part of this deal.

Edit: I like both offer sheets, might be slightly overpaying but I think you have to in order to help ensure the Oilers don’t match. Plus besides a few extra dollars you wouldn’t get either player for just a couple 2nd and 3rd round picks in a trade. I’m surprised to see Doug pull such a move given how uncommon offer sheets are, I wonder if it’s a sign of how little respect GMs have for Bowman being hired?

Last edited:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Playoff team, sure.

Do damage in the POs? I doubt it unless Binnington or Hofer perform at a historical level. Forward defense is still not good and Blues were not a good even strength team last year (goaltending masked how bad they were).

Hollaway, faska helps forward defense a ton. Joseph is good on the forecheck. Our top line was great on D. This solidifies the bottom 6 and allows us to shelter a 2nd line if needed. Plus Schenn and Saad were unusually bad. They could bounce back.

Reactions: Louie the Blue

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
As someone who has been very critical of Army for a while, this is by far the best bit of work he's done since the Buch trade. I don't think it magically turns us into contenders, but it's exploiting a team in a weak position cap wise to get a good asset that would otherwise be very hard to get. Will be interesting to see how it plays out, but as general Army and current direction "hater", this is a smart, strategic move.

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
As someone who has been very critical of Army for a while, this is by far the best bit of work he's done since the Buch trade. I don't think it magically turns us into contenders, but it's exploiting a team in a weak position cap wise to get a good asset that would otherwise be very hard to get. Will be interesting to see how it plays out, but as general Army and current direction "hater", this is a smart, strategic move.
My thoughts exactly

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
I assume they match on Holloway. Broberg I think might end up a Blue. It does seem like a bit of an overpay to me, but obviously a young defenseman was a huge need for us. If it doesn't work out we don't lose too much.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I don't really think either of these players are huge difference makers at the moment, so the most intriguing part of this to me is how much of this is Army and how much is Steen's influence. Put another way, is this Army giving a bit of a middle finger before he stands up from the GM chair or is this Steen whispering in his ear that it's time to shake things up a bit?

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

blue zone

Apr 14, 2024
Oilers will have to trade Ceci if they can find any takers, and LTIR Kane. This could just end up hurting Edmonton asset wise, but still feels like a shrewd move by Army.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
cfffe8eaa0277e8f7abf2fd4af32b306.gif

blue zone

Apr 14, 2024
I don't really think either of these players are huge difference makers at the moment, so the most intriguing part of this to me is how much of this is Army and how much is Steen's influence. Put another way, is this Army giving a bit of a middle finger before he stands up from the GM chair or is this Steen whispering in his ear that it's time to shake things up a bit?
I think Broberg is in a position to crack our top four with Faulk.

Reactions: Blueswin and tomin

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
Oiler fan here. This is a good move for you guys, if you get either player. Broberg's a bit of a wildcard, but I think there's a potentially high reward for little risk if you guys can afford to overpay him for a couple years. They're both obviously worth a lot more than the picks you'd lose.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Here are my thoughts.

Draft pick compensation. This one will be short and sweet for me, I'd definitely give up a 2nd round pick for Broberg, even if it's simply betting on the chance of him developing and knowing there is a decent flop chance. I'd easily give up a 3rd for Holloway, even if he remains a bottom 6 role player. It's not like we are give up much here and the chances of those picks becoming better than what these guys currently is pretty small.

For contracts. I'll start with Holloway. It's fine, and I could see them matching. He'll fit our style, he'll bring speed, size, and maybe he can blossom offensively in a larger role. He had good numbers in the minors, so maybe he just needs more of a chance and he can have a Neighbours type season.

For Broberg, this is the only offer-sheet that I was going to be good with. I know others wanted to go longer term, but going the Kotkaniemi route was going to be loaded with risk. If he doesn't work out, we let him go, but if he does, we'll give him an extension that will match his value. If he's overpaid now, who cares since we aren't contending in the next 2 seasons.

You have to really like the moves. If Army and Steen don't want to embrace a tear-down, you need to do moves like this to rebuild. Maybe neither pan out, but if they do, we'll have a really strong core moving forward. Since we have higher end forwards, we don't need Holloway to truly live up to his potential, he just needs to find a role and be solid. For Broberg, I'm still not convinced our future is set, but he gives us another with decently high enough upside to give us a scenario where we are in good shape. We'd need them all to hit, but Lindstein, Jiricek, and Broberg gives us a chance at enough top 4 guys, where acquiring one higher end guy to complete the core is realistic.

Feel like we sort of have a short-term logjam of players, but a bunch don't really have a future here anyway, so I'm not that concerned about it.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I am curious from some of those that very much preferred a tear down rebuild, and maybe this is better answered once we find out if Edmonton matches or not, but how does your opinion of the rebuild change with these moves?

I'd agree we still have the same risk of not being able to get a true #1 dman. Broberg did have a big season in the AHL, so I do think there is still real potential there, but he's no slam dunk. With Holloway, he doesn't transform our forwards, but we didn't really need that either, but he does add depth and upside. Maybe he can develop into a player like Saad is currently, but with more physical play. He's good speed, he likes to shoot, and should be able to fit on multiple lines if his production matches what he did in college or AHL.

Knowing that we will still try to be aggressive as opposed to being passively in the middle has to ease some of the concerns. Probably would've preferred a more aggressive sell to get better future assets, but this is still better than being passive and in the middle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad