Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Holloway to Podklozin and Broberg to Emberson are clear downgrades now and especially long term. Now the Oilers do get nearly $5m in cap space by not matching but the Oilers are clearly a worse team as of today if they don't match these offers.

I think this is a bad idea not to match but we'll see how it plays out. Not happy about this, at all.
I mean, they don’t? The Oilers after losing them and Ceci have around 1-1.5 mill in space cause Kane won’t be gone all year.

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
I don't get the Ceci trade at all if you weren't going to match either player. I think walking away is the best move for both players, but you didn't need to trade Ceci in that scenario. Very strange

If they know Kane isn't getting surgery at the start of the season, and it can wait until close to the trade deadline, not matching the offer sheets means they can build up around 2m in accrued space and then put Kane onto LTIR as well which would give a lot of flexibility for trades

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
we have one of the worst defense's in the league but at least we have cap space lol
Hey now we have enough cap space to almost add a whole Holloway.

Borberg+Holloway is near 7m. Podkolzin+Emberson is roughly 2m. 7-2=5. It's math
It’s not math when the team is over the cap. It’s not “cap space” cause it’s not usable. It’s cap savings sure but it’s not like we have $5 mill we can spend now, we just don’t need to get rid of like 4 mill in players now.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don't get the Ceci trade at all if you weren't going to match either player. I think walking away is the best move for both players, but you didn't need to trade Ceci in that scenario. Very strange
Doesn't make sense to rush that deal in retrospect unless they really like Emberson but this feels like a deal they could have waited out.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Hey now we have enough cap space to almost add a whole Holloway.

It’s not math when the team is over the cap. It’s not “cap space” cause it’s not usable. It’s cap savings sure but it’s not like we have $5 mill we can spend now, we just don’t need to get rid of like 4 mill in players now.
Holy Christ Cyclone it's not so hard to understand.
They have $5m more cap space by not matching the offer sheets and with those trades. What are you not grasping here?
Cap savings, potato potahto

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Holloway to Podklozin and Broberg to Emberson are clear downgrades now and especially long term. Now the Oilers do get nearly $5m in cap space by not matching but the Oilers are clearly a worse team as of today if they don't match these offers.

I think this is a bad idea not to match but we'll see how it plays out. Not happy about this, at all.
The thing about losing Ceci, VD, and Broberg is that on their own they're not huge losses but combined it creates a big hole on defense. The defense right now is worse than last year no matter how you slice it.

Reactions: Trow

North

Jun 25, 2009

My question remains, based on their underlying numbers last year what makes Broberg much better than Emberson?

Reactions: iCanada

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Now it’s up to what we do with the cap space

I maintain that our D is in worse shape than it was last year right now.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The thing about losing Ceci, VD, and Broberg is that on their own they're not huge losses but combined it creates a big hole on defense. The defense right now is worse than last year no matter how you slice it.
Ceci and VD are entirely replaceable but losing the growth potential of Broberg is a big loss IMO even if it came at a $4.6m pricetag. Good luck finding another young Dman with top 4 potential, now they'll have to scour the market for the Sean Walkers of the world. Color me unimpressed.

If Broberg goes on to be a 10 year top 4 Dman on St. Louis, the Oilers brass will be kicking themselves for years to come and I think this is a good possibility tbh.

Reactions: Kolja

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007

Not only that but we already moved on from Desharnais to make room for Broberg, and now we moved on from Ceci… half our D is gone

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
A lot of people here were screaming for the team to play Stecher over Ceci down the stretch and into the playoffs. He showed well when he played, and honestly if it wasn’t for the injury he might’ve been the one who got pulled into the lineup when Vinny struggled instead of Broberg. I’m still shocked Stecher stuck around for the contract he did, and I believe he’s going to blow expectations out of the water this year.
Stetcher, a career journeyman who's small and hasn't hit 20 point in 5 seasons and signed for league minimum, is suddenly gonna emerge as a top 4?
give me a break

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Shades of the 2017 offseason. We acquired cap space and did f*** all with it because we weren't even close to a playoff spot.

I don't think that's a fair comparison unless we truly do nothing with the cap space.

Even if we do nothing with it going into the season, it will be huge at the deadline.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Ceci and VD are entirely replaceable but losing the growth potential of Broberg is a big loss IMO even if it came at a $4.6m pricetag. Good luck finding another young Dman with top 4 potential, now they'll have to scour the market for the Sean Walkers of the world. Color me unimpressed.

If Broberg goes on to be a 10 year top 4 Dman on St. Louis, the Oilers brass will be kicking themselves for years to come and I think this is a good possibility tbh.
Damned if you do damned if you don’t. They match and the same people upset now would be crying about the overpay.

Let’s see what they do with the cap space

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
They are entirely replaceable. So long as we actually replace them.

This falls squarely at the feet of Oilers management, past and present.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad