Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Initially I wanted to keep Holloway but I've come around to this being the prudent decision.

Got a feeling Evan Bouchard is going to be playing a lot of 30 minute games this season.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Holloway to Podklozin and Broberg to Emberson are clear downgrades now and especially long term. Now the Oilers do get nearly $5m in cap space by not matching but the Oilers are clearly a worse team as of today if they don't match these offers.

I think this is a bad idea not to match but we'll see how it plays out. Not happy about this, at all.
Podkolzin has more experience and more points than Holloway in games played. Emberson played better than Broberg last year, and is a better positional fit now. I disagree it's a downgrade. It might be eventually between Broberg and Emberson, but it isn't right now, and the cap space rules over all.

Reactions: AlanHUK and iCanada

Kaniac

Sep 11, 2018
The 2 players don’t want to be here so good on the oilers to let them walk, it was a no brainer, you can get some really good players for that cap hit for those 2
I'm pretty sure Holloway loved it here and would be upset to leave. He fell on his own dagger though, you can't squeeze a Stanley Cup contender with two superstars that need to be resigned in the next two years.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I think they were also arrogant to assume that Holloway and Broberg weren't going anywhere.
If the rumors are true that they offered Broberg 2 years $1.1m/yr and Holloway 3 years $1.05m/yr then they really botched this situation and the players had every right to take the bag. They really thought Holloway would take a 3 year deal at that number? Laughable, if true.
It was Andy Strickland that reported this btw.

Reactions: Kolja and nabob

ConnorNova0929

Feb 25, 2023
The best move would have been for the Oilers to not put themselves in this position to begin with.

The second best move is what they did today. Good job!

Reactions: nabob

trojansoilers

May 4, 2022
Well shit, let's just hope that with the cap space we'll be able to add a top D sometime during the season or the deadline.
And hope we face the Blues in Round 1 and we obliterate them on the way to the cup

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
If the rumors are true that they offered Broberg 2 years $1.1m/yr and Holloway 3 years $1.05m/yr then they really botched this situation and the players had every right to take the bag. They really thought Holloway would take a 3 year deal at that number? Laughable, if true.
There's a good chance we'll probably never know for sure but management definitely dropped the ball... again. I sure hope some around here re-evaluate their opinions about Ken Holland "masterclass".

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Ceci and VD are entirely replaceable but losing the growth potential of Broberg is a big loss IMO even if it came at a $4.6m pricetag. Good luck finding another young Dman with top 4 potential, now they'll have to scour the market for the Sean Walkers of the world. Color me unimpressed.

If Broberg goes on to be a 10 year top 4 Dman on St. Louis, the Oilers brass will be kicking themselves for years to come and I think this is a good possibility tbh.
Emberson is a young D with top 4 potential.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
They also reported 1.2 x2 and 1.8x2 before early in the window. No one really knows.

Agents supposedly knew offer sheet was possible and told their clients to hold off on signing anything due to it.

Can’t really blame much besides player didn’t want to be here other tried to leverage a better contract and JJ pre spent the cap on skinner, arvidsson, Henrique mainly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad