Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
My guess is the delay being one of two things.

1) Edmonton doesn't want players who don't want to be here, and don't want these kids earning way more than their worth. They'll match if they have to, but seeing if a team will trade them a top 4 dman in a package that will include the comp picks.

2) They plan on matching and are making the Blues wait as long as possible so they can't use their picks on other offers. Just out of spite.
3) They aren’t matching but are making the Blues wait to know, because why not make them sweat a bit.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
I'm still hoping we don't match either. Take the picks and look for upgrades elsewhere.

Broberg looked good in the playoffs, but not convinced we're losing some future #1 Dman and at that price tag he can walk.
This pot wont age well. You will not get a top 4 dman for a 2nd round pick. FYI, $4.5M is not what top pairing dmen make. It is what top 4 dmen make.

Reactions: nabob and capazzo

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
Broberg signing the offer sheet makes sense, huge payday for him.

I thought Holloway was rumored to make around like 1.7-1.8MM from the Oilers, so to have signed for 2.3M offer sheet with the Blues doesn't seem like that much of an upgrade. I guess maybe more playing time? but he was getting a good opportunity here, especially with Kane out... let em walk

Reactions: Duke74

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
What kind side deal? Neither player can be traded for a year

Can't believe people that report on sports couldn't do the 30 seconds of research I did to see RFA's aren't on any club on nhl.com :laugh:
Don't overrate some of these guys. I often wonder what credentials it takes to be deemed an "expert."

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
This pot wont age well. You will not get a top 4 dman for a 2nd round pick. FYI, $4.5M is not what top pairing dmen make. It is what top 4 dmen make.
I'm just not as high on Broberg as everyone else. Still not convinced he's an effective top 4 guy. He could very well be, but outside of the playoffs this year, I haven't really seen it

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

kevy9999

Mar 10, 2023
Great thing to say to a Mod of all people. :rolleyes:
Oh well. Been banned for stupid things before while some people on here call each other mother f***er and they don't get banned. So saying you aren't too good at math is pretty mild.

Last edited:

kevy9999

Mar 10, 2023
Half the people here would be banned if rudeness was forbidden
Guess you have to be part of the cool geeky club to not get banned then. I got banned several times for saying mild things compared to some of the insults I see on here. One particular goof keeps saying I come back with a different name and account lol I have only ever had 1 name and account and I come back after my ban is lifted . This last ban was lifted 3 months ago . Just came to comment on offer sheets.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
We don’t know that broberg is a top 4 dman. Especially one that handle a full season of full minutes and the playoffs on top of that.

Broberg making more than Bouchard is a travesty. St. Louis can have broberg.

Reactions: McDrai

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Let me get this straight about these two players:

1) Holland was instructed by upper management to sign these guys during the season but didn't
2) Holland is buddies with Armstrong
3) Armstrong offer sheets both of them.

Did these player's agents tell them to hold off from signing and that an offer sheet will be coming in the summer? I wonder....

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
the Oilers now have the cap space to match both contracts if they want to . I wonder if they now call Armstrong and ask what he will trade for Broberg? Armstrong has one day to come up with a deal or loses Broberg. Looking at the Blues prospects, they have nothing imminent in defence but lots of good forwards. Broberg is a very good fit for them.
The more I think about it the more I want them to match both offer sheets. It'll create some real cap complications next season but the Oilers will be stacked with young talent in addition to the core for the next 2 years and I'm still bullish on Holloway long term. I think Broberg they almost have to match, they don't really have anybody with his upside that is ready to contribute now so I say match both and worry about cap stuff later.

Reactions: Reginald Dunlop

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Let me get this straight about these two players:

1) Holland was instructed by upper management to sign these guys during the season but didn't
2) Holland is buddies with Armstrong
3) Armstrong offer sheets both of them.

Did these player's agents tell them to hold off from signing and that an offer sheet will be coming in the summer? I wonder....
Why would either have them signed a deal in the regular season? There was no upside to them doing so, neither was getting to play regular roles and had no leverage or power.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Broberg and Holloway must be sweating right now. They’re guaranteed a life changing amount of money but who will be paying them? I’d be pretty nervous if I were in that situation.

It’s a big gamble for the Oilers though. Holloway is the safer bet, he’d be overpaid by a million maybe in the worst case scenario, but there’s a good chance he earns that money this season if he isn’t on the 4th line all year. He’s also worth more than a 3rd rounder.

Broberg, if he doesn’t continue to take a big step, he could burn a team with that contract. And he wouldn’t be easy to trade if he’s struggling at 4.6 million.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Broberg and Holloway must be sweating right now. They’re guaranteed a life changing amount of money but who will be paying them? I’d be pretty nervous if I were in that situation.

It’s a big gamble for the Oilers though. Holloway is the safer bet, he’d be overpaid by a million maybe in the worst case scenario, but there’s a good chance he earns that money this season if he isn’t on the 4th line all year. He’s also worth more than a 3rd rounder.

Broberg, if he doesn’t continue to take a big step, he could burn a team with that contract. And he wouldn’t be easy to trade if he’s struggling at 4.6 million.
The thing is his buy out would be pretty easy to handle if he’s that bad after the first year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad