Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Let 'em both walk, we'll bolster the forces at the trade deadline
You know, part of me wonders if Podkolzin and Emberson are simply replacements for Holloway and Broberg? Emberson as the Broberg replacement is a better fit positionally at this point for the team as a natural RHD. The kid is supposed to be a defensive stalwart, that can chip in points. Rated #2 Defensive Defenseman overall by the Athletic as of April this year with Drew Doughty taking #1.
Podkolzin is more of a gamble that he will outplay Holloway, but seems to have more skill overall. Confidence seems to be the issue, but the ceiling is supposed to be high. Both players are signed at a million or less. Pod x 2 years and Embers at one year. Everyone knew Ceci had to go, so that was bound to happen I think anyways. Don't match (sucks a bit), but get a 2nd and 3rd back with some young depth and talent that could pay off big.

Plus the cap space...that sweet, sweet cap space that will help with Nurse on the LTIR. Come the deadline, and we have a few picks and SPACE to play with.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
After thinking about the trades since yesterday, my best guess is the Oilers are planning not to match either player. I think the assets traded make a point of that to some extent, in that they traded a 4th for Holloway's replacement, and a 3rd for Broberg's, so they'll actually be upgrading their picks. Looking at the situation - Van likely to lose Podkolzin on waivers, San Jose picked up Emberson on waivers - I don't think the Oilers are planning to put these guys on waivers after training camp, they're planning for them to play.

I think Kane wants to play. I don't think he wants to be on LTIR to start the season, and if he can play he's maybe a better Holloway replacement than Podkolzin will be. If the Oilers let both guys go and start the season with Kane in the lineup, that leaves them with around $1M cap space they can accrue toward a potential top 4 RD at the deadline if necessary.

Reactions: McBooya42

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
You know, part of me wonders if Podkolzin and Emberson are simply replacements for Holloway and Broberg? Emberson as the Broberg replacement is a better fit positionally at this point for the team as a natural RHD. The kid is supposed to be a defensive stalwart, that can chip in points. Rated #2 Defensive Defenseman overall by the Athletic as of April this year with Drew Doughty taking #1.
Podkolzin is more of a gamble that he will outplay Holloway, but seems to have more skill overall. Confidence seems to be the issue, but the ceiling is supposed to be high. Both players are signed at a million or less. Pod x 2 years and Embers at one year. Everyone knew Ceci had to go, so that was bound to happen I think anyways. Don't match (sucks a bit), but get a 2nd and 3rd back with some young depth and talent that could pay off big.
Bingo. And the Oilers don’t peg them with increased roles. I just don’t know how it works when Kane comes back. Add in Leon, Bouchard and the McDavid extensions.. they have to be very careful.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Bingo. And the Oilers don’t peg them with increased roles. I just don’t know how it works when Kane comes back. Add in Leon, Bouchard and the McDavid extensions.. they have to be very careful.
If the Oiler's don't match, and LTIR Kane, they are sitting pretty. Even with Kane healthy, we'd have just under a mill in cap space.

oilcountry17

Aug 27, 2007
edmonton
I like the 2 trades and say good riddance to two selfish, oft injured hockey players. D needs an upgrade but I think with the picks coming back we can upgrade at the deadline or sooner with retention.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
with a below average defense? lol

no, not sitting pretty
Ek - Bouch
Nurse - Emberson
Kulak - Stetcher

I think that would be better than you think. Maybe they do bring in Barrie as a PTO?
Ek - Bouch
Nurse - Barrie
Kulak - Emberson

Nurse - Barrie now would be better than Nurse - Ceci. I firmly believe that.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Ek - Bouch
Nurse - Emberson
Kulak - Stetcher

I think that would be better than you think. Maybe they do bring in Barrie as a PTO?
Ek - Bouch
Nurse - Barrie
Kulak - Emberson

Nurse - Barrie now would be better than Nurse - Ceci. I firmly believe that.
Barrie/Emberson/Stecher/or any other random old, washed UFA is embarrassing for a team trying to contend for a Cup

these guys cannot play elevated minutes

all we ever hear is how Nurse needs a babysitter...now he's expected to carry the 2nd pair? ya, that's trouble

They can package those picks closer to the deadline to obtain an upgrade on D.

Exactly
Blues fan begging the Oilers not to match

what a world

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Right? Ceci was awful....AWFUL. Surely a kid rated as one of the top defensive defensemen in the league by the Athletic could do better?
Analytics models love this Emberson kid. Such a small sample size though that apparently the “analytics” guys don’t realize is an issue. Either way, I’m interested in seeing how Emberson turns out, will really test these models out and see how accurate they are.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Not since a young Sather, have I had this much confidence in our overall management of the team.

My guess is we match broberg, work him in slowly on the left side, third pairing.

My hope is they match Dylan, and waive to SJ (a thank you to Greer in SJ)

I guess if a trade is there for an equal to Kulak, for the right side, I would trade him too.

The defence has been neglected until now, with all the fun changes to forwards.

Losing Kulak (trade for equal righty) Ceci, and Deshar, is a lot of changes, but they are 3 pair guys. We needed upgrades....

One last move, and it hurts to say it, but ask Kane to waive to the trade. He is awesome, but older, compounding injuries and miles on this warrior (not to mention price tag) , make it a good choice. I prefer we did not keep Perry.

I'm worried that we're getting old and slow, but management seems to be addressing this a bit.

Lots of different options may also work, with this sharp management group.

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
Barrie/Emberson/Stecher/or any other random old, washed UFA is embarrassing for a team trying to contend for a Cup

these guys cannot play elevated minutes

all we ever hear is how Nurse needs a babysitter...now he's expected to carry the 2nd pair? ya, that's trouble

Blues fan begging the Oilers not to match

what a world
I actually like the Oilers, Blues and the Sens to a fault lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad