Proposal: Justin Barron (MTL) for Peyton Krebs (BUF)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
What are people's thoughts on a Barron for Krebs swap?

Krebs is currently an un-signed RFA and might be the 13th/14th forward in Buffalo right now.

Barron hasn't managed to find his footing yet in Montreal.

There isn't an obvious spot for Krebs right now in Montreal's lineup either. But they are likely moving on from Dvorak soon, and Evans might also price himself out of Montreal on his first UFA deal.

I also don't mind the idea of shifting Krebs to the wing to give guys like Armia, Gallagher and Anderson the night off.

Is Barron a potential fit in Buffalo?

Is there potential for a deal here?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I'm pretty sure Buffalo's d has no room for Barron.

As you mentioned, the Habs have no room for Krebs right

Other than neither team having room for the acquired player to play regularly unless there's an injury, it would seem fair to me.

Both teams can likely get an older, but similar player to both from waivers in 2 weeks, too

Reactions: Fenris and Eegs

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I see Barron as slowly developing into a legit top 6 for any team. Then slotted behind Mailman and Rein.

Krebs is aggressive and appeared to be a legitimate 2C, so I don't know what happened to him.

We got too many players chasing 3C and 2C. Beck, Kapenen and Hage in sequence for the next 3 years. Nor can Krebs be sent to the AHL without passing waivers.

PASS

Reactions: kyne

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Just don’t see where Barron fits in Buffalo, and Krebs still has upside.

Still can’t figure out Krebs intentions this summer btw. He doesn’t have any negotiating power. Still though, they need to get him into camp.

He’s skilled enough to end up biting Buffalo if they were to give up on him.

Reactions: Eegs

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I don't love it or hate it, but it's not a move I see as being needed. Maybe if there was an additional forward for defencemen swap as part of the same/separate deals for both teams.

Reactions: Eegs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't love it or hate it, but it's not a move I see as being needed. Maybe if there was an additional forward for defencemen swap as part of the same/separate deals for both teams.

Habs trading Barron comes down to how much they like Mailloux. If they feel Mailloux and Reinbacher are the two top 4 on the right side, Barron could be made available. I think Hughes waits to see how both Mailloux and Barron look in camp, preseason, and to start the year.

Personally, I like the draft power we have had. I rather shoot for a 20-32 range 1st for Barron with small adds. Barron is underrated IMO and even that price might be too cheap. Adding more 1sts helps us keep our future pool full and gives us an advantage to stay under the cap in 3-5+ years.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Habs trading Barron comes down to how much they like Mailloux. If they feel Mailloux and Reinbacher are the two top 4 on the right side, Barron could be made available. I think Hughes waits to see how both Mailloux and Barron look in camp, preseason, and to start the year.

Personally, I like the draft power we have had. I rather shoot for a 20-32 range 1st for Barron with small adds. Barron is underrated IMO and even that price might be too cheap. Adding more 1sts helps us keep our future pool full and gives us an advantage to stay under the cap in 3-5+ years.
I think we're on the same page. Minor disagreement on Barron's value, but that's all. Personally, I value him as a high 2nd rounder. You and I often disagree over relatively minor things and that's all good. I respect you and your opinion. It's much better than an echo chamber.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think we're on the same page. Minor disagreement on Barron's value, but that's all. Personally, I value him as a high 2nd rounder. You and I often disagree over relatively minor things and that's all good. I respect you and your opinion. It's much better than an echo chamber.

There is a fair chance Barron might be traded. We will see what it returns. I think Hughes is going to be patient.

Makes no sense to trade him for a 2nd rounder. If it ends up being a 2nd rounder, it will be tagged with a Prospect that is B+ rating at a min. Barron is underrated on the internet due to how much Habs fans and media are bouncing his name around. All he is lacking is maturity

Disagreements are fine. It's how others act in disagreements by throwing insults around. That I have no time for

Reactions: CanadienShark

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
There is a fair chance Barron might be traded. We will see what it returns. I think Hughes is going to be patient.

Makes no sense to trade him for a 2nd rounder. If it ends up being a 2nd rounder, it will be tagged with a Prospect that is B+ rating at a min. Barron is underrated on the internet due to how much Habs fans and media are bouncing his name around. All he is lacking is maturity

Disagreements are fine. It's how others act in disagreements by throwing insults around. That I have no time for
What are some examples of what you would consider a "B+ prospect"

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011

IMO Habs would be lucky to get a 2nd + prospect for Barron

He's in a tough situation as a guy who can't play defense at the NHL level but still needs waivers. For that reason he's not a very desirable trade piece for contenders or rebuilding teams. If he wasn't right handed we wouldn't care about him and would be fine losing him to waivers. His best fit is in a place like Montreal where we need an RHD and we can afford to keep him up for the whole season without waiving him. He can probably play 60-70 games starting the season as a #6/7

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
IMO Habs would be lucky to get a 2nd + prospect for Barron

He's in a tough situation as a guy who can't play defense at the NHL level but still needs waivers. For that reason he's not a very desirable trade piece for contenders or rebuilding teams. If he wasn't right handed we wouldn't care about him and would be fine losing him to waivers. His best fit is in a place like Montreal where we need an RHD and we can afford to keep him up for the whole season without waiving him. He can probably play 60-70 games starting the season as a #6/7

Barron's lack of games in the NHL is due to our depth on D. Habs choose to have him play AHL to work on his game and fans/media now think he sucks.

If Sandin can get a 1st, so can Barron. I stand firm on that and I bet you Hughes is asking for a 1st and other adds as well. Other fans and actual GM's just want to buy for cheap. It's reasonable and we would try the same in opposite situations.

The 1st won't happen now though. Who trades their 1st this early in the season when they don't know how it plays out? Some would say, just put protection on it. Yeah, that can still backfire. And it goes without saying right? The 1st we are talking about is 20-32 range. You got a 50% chance at drafting a Barron type and you could be drafting a Mesar. 20-32 range 1st are not sure shot picks. It's actually worth less than NHL ready guys like Barron in my books.

A RD with size/skating/shot and has to mature in the D zone. Think about it more. You don't find a RD like this that easily.

Last edited:

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Barron's lack of games in the NHL is due to our depth on D. Habs choose to have him play AHL to work on his AHL game and fans/media now think he sucks.

If Sandin can get a 1st, so can Barron. I stand firm on that and I bet you Hughes is asking for a 1st and other adds as well.

The 1st won't happen now though. Who trades their 1st this early in the season when they don't know how it plays out? Some would say, just put protection on it. Yeah, that can still backfire

A RD with size/skating/shot and has to mature in the D zone. Think about it more. You don't find a RD like this that easily.
MTL didn't even have 3 NHL level RHD last year.

They had Savard and Kovacevic. This year the ONLY one they have is Savard.

If a rebuilding team with 2 NHL level RHD (1 this year) isn't giving minutes to a 22 year old 1st round pick, that does not speak well of him

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Barron's lack of games in the NHL is due to our depth on D. Habs choose to have him play AHL to work on his AHL game and fans/media now think he sucks.

If Sandin can get a 1st, so can Barron. I stand firm on that and I bet you Hughes is asking for a 1st and other adds as well.

The 1st won't happen now though. Who trades their 1st this early in the season when they don't know how it plays out? Some would say, just put protection on it. Yeah, that can still backfire

He was sent to the AHL to work on his defensive game, we had a wide open hole at RD that he failed to fill.

Can't speak for everyone else but personally I think Barron sucks because I watched every NHL game and I saw a guy who was either too scared, too lazy, or simply incapable of defending against NHL players. Maybe he finally feels the pressure and worked on his defensive game this summer instead of playing 3on3 shinny with Crosby and MacKinnon all summer. Either way my thoughts on Barron are well publicized.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He was sent to the AHL to work on his defensive game, we had a wide open hole at RD that he failed to fill.

Can't speak for everyone else but personally I think Barron sucks because I watched every NHL game and I saw a guy who was either too scared, too lazy, or simply incapable of defending against NHL players. Maybe he finally feels the pressure and worked on his defensive game this summer instead of playing 3on3 shinny with Crosby and MacKinnon all summer. Either way my thoughts on Barron are well publicized.

Only time will tell. I think Barron ends up a top 4D. I just don't know when he figures it out. Could be a while like Matheson.

I am not super high on Barron but it's easier to gain maturity/trust/experience than it is to gain the size/skating/shot power he has. There are tons of guys on D who are meh in their own end and I support the Habs development with Barron.

Wide open hole at RD where? Top 4D? You want him to learn on the NHL job with so many others on our team who were learning on the job? Who's the trusted LD we could have played him with? Like how other teams manage? Like how we are going to manage Hutson with Savard?

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
what is krebs looking for contract wise?

Im surprised a team hasnt traded for him as a lottery ticket upside play

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad