Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
pretty wild not a single "insider" has leaked what the Oilers are intending to do...not even guesses out there

True, but Spector did speculate that they made these moves to match (at least Broberg).

Deadline is in the morning tomorrow, right? I'd guess we'll know sometime today.

Maybe they're still looking for a possible RD upgrade instead of Broberg, and will match if they don't obtain one.

Reactions: Oilers

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
pretty wild not a single "insider" has leaked what the Oilers are intending to do...not even guesses out there
Pretty much the first thing Jackson said when he took over was that loose lips sink ships and that needed to change in a big way.

I don't believe anyone has any actual insight as to what the Oilers will do. I think all four options (Match both, match neither, match Holloway/Broberg walks, match Broberg/Holloway walks) are on the table.

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
What purpose. You dont get the picks, the players already gotnthe money, and the team that offersheeted them that deal would claim them if not another team not afraid of the salary.

I dont even get what the jokes suppossed to be about or who jts supposed to be petty to or show up. Only the oilers would hurt themselves.

The joke is that Holloway/Broberg would be claimed by San Jose. So, they will suffer the same fate as ceci and go from a top 5 team to a bottom 5 team. The turntables.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
What purpose. You dont get the picks, the players already gotnthe money, and the team that offersheeted them that deal would claim them if not another team not afraid of the salary.

I dont even get what the jokes suppossed to be about or who jts supposed to be petty to or show up. Only the oilers would hurt themselves.
Unless it was part of the deal. SJ agrees to take on Ceci's cap hit in exchange for a younger, promising, cost-controlled RHD only if the Oilers add a 3rd and Holloway.

Reactions: Mr Sakich

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Very curious to see how this ends up playing out. Do we take the picks and then use assets for a RHD? Do we match both? Lots of moving parts

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Ceci and Kulak are better than Broberg right now, and if we trade them to keep Broberg and Holloway we have nothing to replace Ceci and Kulak with. Its makes us objectively worse.
I would agree with that. But also say that in Ceci’s case, he is what he is, he’s not getting any better, and is only serviceable in his role. Broberg should be better than him soon. Kulak will be a loss, no doubt but that’s the price you pay when you get royally screwed by the Blues. Atleast it’s only 3rd pair minutes effected.

That said, now that this trade is complete. Looks like it’s only Ceci gone as I wanted and predicted, and Podkolzin may be that 1M replacement for Holloway. So Kulak is retained.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Training camp is going to be interesting. What's set, the first line, the first pairing and the goaltending? Can't even say those are a given.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
What's the rationale behind not being able to trade a player once they sign an offer sheet? Was it always like that?

What if the contract has to stand, but you could find a new trading partner and you couldn't trade for less than the compensation picks? If another team wanted to pay more than compensation, they should be allowed to. I assume it's just easier this way.
Cause without it a team would match 100% of the time and trade if they can’t keep it

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Broberg is worse than Ceci paired with Nurse. He's not a good fit there, at all. Left side is a different story, but he outpriced himself. He's gone.
Ceci with Nurse sucks. We arent losing much. Broberg is unproven next to Nurse really, can’t say he’s not a fit there when we’ve barely seen it and Broberg is only just scratching the surface of who he will become as a player.

I’m a glad Ceci out was one part of the solution to this offer sheet issue. It’s what I wanted and made the most sense to me. So happy to see the move get made today.

Reactions: BleedingOil

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
The fact that we haven't heard about a match yet, less than 24 hours from the deadline is interesting to me. I thought after yesterdays later in the day trades, we'd hear sometime relatively early today. Makes me think there are more options on the table still.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
The fact that we haven't heard about a match yet, less than 24 hours from the deadline is interesting to me. I thought after yesterdays later in the day trades, we'd hear sometime relatively early today. Makes me think there are more options on the table still.
I'm leaning towards the club not matching either. Dumping Ceci could mean they are going in a less costly direction and that's not Broberg.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
JJ runs a right ship. Nobody saw any of the draft day, McLeod, Bourgault, Podkolzin, Ceci trades coming and absolutely nobody thought that they could re-sign everybody but Foegele and Desharnais and also add two top 6 forwards. The Bowman move was sort of telegraphed but that's another story.
It felt like at least some of Holland's moves were more telegraphed.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
GM's care about offer sheets. Otherwise we would see them more often. That being said a lot of things have to align in order for an offer sheet to be worth attempting. I would say the perfect opportunity to make an offer sheet happens more often than offer sheets are actually made Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Lowe? or somebody offer sheet Penner? or someone and the GM at the time Bryan Burke? wanted to fight our GM. He offered to fight him in a barn near Calgary. Like I said my memory is terrible but I seem to remember something like that.
No one claimed that GMs don’t care about offer sheets. They said that a GM wouldn’t care about their RFA signing a low value offer sheet because then the other GM would have just don’t their work for them. If Lowe would have signed Penner to a $2M avg offer sheet then Burke probably would have bought him a bottle of scotch. But you’re right things 100% need to align for an offer sheet to be worth attempting. Part of the things aligning for the Blues was that most figured the Oilers wouldn’t be able to create enough cap space to match both offer sheets.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
Oilers are gonna troll and do it last minute, at least I hope.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
no shortage of insiders making shit up

I don't give a shit about that. I want the best team and I want it cap compliant with Draisaitl, Bouchard and McDavid (next season) locked up long term. If shoving someones face in dog shit is the motivation behind the formation of the roster the likelihood of success isn't very high when it's all said and done.

f*** them all up real good by creating a dynasty.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

Said exactly this 5 days ago. There just isn't any. Waiving would be petty and pointless and worse would signal that the Oilers are still not above such treatment of players. Matching and then waiving the player would be noted around the NHLPA and with player agents. It is not the seeds you should want to sow..

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm sure they're exploring the market out there with the compensation picks involved for a top 4D, but ultimately there's no reason for them to match until the deadline. Gives them more options to explore, and less time for St Louis. No reason for us to do them any favours and give them extra time to try to fix their horrifically bad blue line.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I said I’d judge JJ and Bowman depending on how they handled it. Blame can be debated on why Holloway and Broberg weren’t already signed, but it’s crying over spilled milk.

Ceci out. Pod for a 4th. Emberson in. JJ continues to be able to find and make deals happen. I’m pretty happy with how we’ve handled it so far. They’re making the best of a shitty situation.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
This is the right move. Take options and mitigate as the Oilers have done and not let the opponent team know your hand until the clock strikes. The Oilers are in the position of exercising any option and responsibly giving themselves the full length of time to discern what to do. Not happy they got into this position but they've done right things since to provide options.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Hard to blame Stan/Holland and Jackson when players want money first and foremost. Everyone wants their future in their hand and wait for a gurarantee

Reactions: Oilslick941611

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
I assume the oilers know what they are doing. With eh moves made the gms did their part for now mostly

I would say now it is up to how much do coffee and knob value the two players.

Looking at variations of the roster what do they want is the biggest factor. They proved enough last year that they deserve to get the dmen they want to work with and as much as we can to get the forward lines they like most

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Hard to blame Stan/Holland and Jackson when players want money first and foremost. Everyone wants their future in their hand and wait for a gurarantee
Hard to blame the players when they're offered more than they've seen in their lifetimes on a contract either. Especially Broberg, his deal is over double what he was set to make. That's life changing money for these guys.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
I don't give a shit about that. I want the best team and I want it cap compliant with Draisaitl, Bouchard and McDavid (next season) locked up long term. If shoving someones face in dog shit is the motivation behind the formation of the roster the likelihood of success isn't very high when it's all said and done.

Why not both?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
no shortage of insiders making shit up

What would be really wild is if the Oilers hold an early presser tomorrow, letting people think they are announcing something about these offer sheets, only to announce a sweet Draisaitl contract instead, ha ha ha.

Of course, that would signal that we likely aren't matching.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad