Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Do you think Justin Schultz or Barrie is a massive step down from Ceci? I agree with you, I think replacing Ceci with Broberg is a monumental risk, and I'm shocked that it looks like they're doing it. But I guess their logic is that if Broberg pans out (which it looks like they think he will) and is a top pairing defencman, maybe that extends their window to win significantly.
Both ARE massive step downs from Ceci.
Barrie was never good defensively and can’t PK. Schultz is okay defensively but also not a strong penalty killer. 5v5 Cecinplayed 3 more minutes a game than Schultz against tougher competition and had better xG% and GF%. Ceci played on average 2 more minutes than Barrie and was better by almost every single metric.

going from Ceci, Kulak and Deshranis to like Broberg and Barrie/Schultz and Brown/Emberson is a marked downgrade on defence.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Yup, however this works out, Jackson comes off looking pretty f***ing stupid. At $1.8, you sign Broberg all day to that contract, and twice on Sunday. Tried getting greedy and it bit him in the ass.
No where has the 1.8 been confirmed.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Barrie was never good defensively and can’t PK. Schultz is okay defensively but also not a strong penalty killer. 5v5 Cecinplayed 3 more minutes a game than Schultz against tougher competition and had better xG% and GF%. Ceci played on average 2 more minutes than Barrie and was better by almost every single metric.

going from Ceci, Kulak and Deshranis to like Broberg and Barrie/Schultz and Brown/Emberson is a marked downgrade on defence.
is Kulak traded or something? Ceci was not good....by any metric or eye-test

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton

I dunno, wasn't Ceci worse analytically with Nurse than Barrie ever was? Have to assume Broberg is taking Ceci's PK minutes.

Reactions: McBooya42

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
I’m sorry but if there is no interest in that then this org is hilariously dumb for intentionally paying a guy 4.5 mill to be a limited minutes 3rd pair guy. There also isn’t a Ceci upgrade out there making Kulak money.
I would take Barrie over Ceci every day if paired with Nurse.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

I think if you check the numbers from the Nurse/Barrie pairing and compare them to Nurse/Ceci they will come out in favor of Nurse/Barrie.
Is Barrie that same player...likley not...but would it really be a downgrade?
This isnt a slam on Ceci as much as it is a recognition that Nurse is a hard dman to play with and Barrie might well be a better fit.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I would take Barrie over Ceci every day if paired with Nurse.
You do realize that Barrie isn’t the same player he was a few years ago right? He was a regular healthy scratch In Nashville. His game has fallen off a cliff.
It’s like people forget about the passing of time

Reactions: Faelko

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
is Kulak traded or something? Ceci was not good....by any metric or eye-test
If we want to be cap compliant when Kane is available to play, then yes he has to go.

You do realize that Barrie isn’t the same player he was a few years ago right? He was a regular healthy scratch In Nashville. His game has fallen off a cliff.
It’s like people forget about the passing of time
He wasn't a good fit there. It happens. He'd be a great fit here (again).

Reactions: guymez

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I hope Broberg comes out and takes some steps and proves me wrong. I’d like to see him succeed.

But I don’t really see how we upgrade the defense when Broberg makes 4.6m. We won’t be able to really afford anything else.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
So with Kane to LTIR, we’re 40k under the cap with a lineup on opening day of

Nuge - McDavid - Hyman
Skinner - Draisaitl - Arvidsson
Janmark - Henrique - Brown
Perry - Holloway - Podkolzin
Ryan
Jarventie (cap purposes)

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Broberg
Kulak - Brown

Skinner
Pickard

Then after opening day Jarventie goes down, and Stecher comes back up (you want to be as close to 0 capspace as possible when you start in LTIR)

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
So it looks like if Kane goes on LTIR and J.Brown to the minors… the oilers could keep both Halloway and Broberg and be cap compliant
I don’t think we will. If we do that then we HAVE to move someone else when Kane comes back. All reports make it seem like Kane will be back around the deadline.

If we want to be cap compliant when Kane is available to play, then yes he has to go.

He wasn't a good fit there. It happens. He'd be a great fit here (again).
I don’t think Barrie would be. Barrie’s value came from his gravy McDrai minutes and PP ability. All things Bouchard will be doing instead.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
So with Kane to LTIR, we’re 40k under the cap with a lineup on opening day of

Nuge - McDavid - Hyman
Skinner - Draisaitl - Arvidsson
Janmark - Henrique - Brown
Perry - Holloway - Podkolzin
Ryan
Jarventie (cap purposes)

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Broberg
Kulak - Brown

Skinner
Pickard

Then after opening day Jarventie goes down, and Stecher comes back up (you want to be as close to 0 capspace as possible when you start in LTIR)
That forward group is smoking. And it doesn’t even include Savoie.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I don’t think we will. If we do that then we HAVE to move someone else when Kane comes back. All reports make it seem like Kane will be back around the deadline.

I don’t think Barrie would be. Barrie’s value came from his gravy McDrai minutes and PP ability. All things Bouchard will be doing instead.
The numbers defensively for Nurse/Barrie were better than Nurse/Ceci.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Might be a bit presumptuous but…

1724040539921.jpeg

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton

Maybe they want to move away from Ekholm and Bouchard being stapled to McDavid's line. Would be nice if they could put Nurse/Barrie out there with the top line and Bouchard and Ekholm out there with other lines.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
He won't outplay Arvidsson lol. At least not at this point in his career. Let's see how Arvidsson plays with Drai first before talking about how Holloway played better ...jfc. there's a reason why Holloway didn't get the 4.6 offersheet.
This is a very, very silly take.
Is it? Holloway scored big goals in the playoffs and only getting better. Ardvidson has had multiple back issues and getting older. I hope he blows the doors off but to say Holloway should be on the bottom 6 is a dumb take too.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
That forward group is smoking. And it doesn’t even include Savoie.

Yep. Just imagine Savoie takes a big step and is ready to contribute in the playoffs, and then Kane comes back healthy… game one you ice

Nuge - McDavid - Hyman
Skinner - Drai - Arvidsson
Kane - Henrique - Savoie
Janmark - Holloway - Brown

That’s an absolutely insane lineup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad