Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Except we wouldn’t. To keep Holloway we are over cap without Kane on LTIR or moving Ceci. You don’t accrue cap if you are over cap with LTIR.
Exactly. I was replying to your dumb post about the first round exit D core, if we’re going into the season with the D core you posted that doesn’t have Ceci that would mean they traded Ceci, right? Does that make sense?

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site
So what’s left on the UFA market if they let Broberg leave…. Barrie, Schultz, Klingberg, and Lindstrom? Are any of these guys better then Stetcher at this point in there career ???

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
The "match and waive for SJ" thing sounded like some armchair GM bs so I asked Puckpedia and they say it can be done. Kind of interesting.

View attachment 901515
Do it Stan.......send a message.

iu

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Exactly. I was replying to your dumb post about the first round exit D core, if we’re going into the season with the D core you posted that doesn’t have Ceci that would mean they traded Ceci, right? Does that make sense?
Fair. But the issue is with Kane back we wouldn’t have cap to improve the dcore either way. Our dcore needs to improve not get worse is my point. Removing Ceci to keep Holloway is bad cap allocation imho and makes it hard to find a Ceci improvement.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Fair. But the issue is with Kane back we wouldn’t have cap to improve the dcore either way. Our dcore needs to improve not get worse is my point. Removing Ceci to keep Holloway is bad cap allocation imho and makes it hard to find a Ceci improvement.
I haven’t drilled down to the dollar on it but I’m pretty sure they could trade ceci, match holloway and start the season under the cap with Kane and a 21 maaaybe 22 man roster so they could be accruing cap to start the season. They have lots of options.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't think acruing cap space is that big of a deal. We were able to do it last year and we had a weaker deadline, the best deadline we had was the year we couldn't acrue cap space, we got Ekholm and Bjugstad.

You shouldn't make a decision on Holloway on that basis.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Could be anything that SJ is willing to pay - doesn't necessarily have to be Kostin.

f*** the Blues over
I don't get that, I'd rather get the 2nd than a lesser return from San Jose and "f***ing the Blues over". What does f***ing the Blues over do for the Edmonton Oilers if the other trade is a lesser return?

Reactions: brentashton

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't get that, I'd rather get the 2nd than a lesser return from San Jose and "f***ing the Blues over". What does f***ing the Blues over do for the Edmonton Oilers if the other trade is a lesser return?

Yeah if they're willing to match the 2nd or offer something in return equivalent to a 2nd, then sure I'd do it.

They may well. I mean the taboo of an offer sheet is you don't want to burn bridges or invest OS on your own, but in this case, San Jose could get a good young player for a good price without the optics backlash.

Reactions: nexttothemoon

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Yup, that's pretty much it. Broberg and Hollywood were left to rot and their development was purposely thrown aside for geriatric vets, and now we are here.

And Broberg was doing this on his offside. How would you feel if you are finally given your shot but have to basically start your full-time nhl career on your off side, thus even throwing another wrench in your development and potentially future earnings. I don't blame him for being frustrated. Woody and Holland's hatred for youth brought us here.

These are our two top fwd and D prospects that got the shaft over the last 2 years and it's all our fault.
Absolutely not true. Broberg wasn't ready for the NHL for years he just wasn't even as recently as early this past season and there was no path for big opportunity on a win now team the last 2 years on his strong side when he was closer to ready then he got an opportunity on his off side and did ok with it but he apparently wasn't happy playing on his off side so I really fail to see how this is the Oilers fault.

I said this in an earlier post. So many of you were complaining for years about the Oilers rushing Dmen then when they properly develop one, now it's the player being screwed over. No, the Oilers played this right. Broberg wasn't ready until recently, he got his opportunity to play big minutes in the AHL a to grow his game and flourish so he'd be ready to take on a full time NHL opportunity which he showed flashes of in the postseason.

It sucks that they're losing a player that they've developed in their system the last 5 years and seems to be on the right path but they're not losing him because they didn't develop him properly and in fact they are losing him because they DID develop him properly because the Blues see a player that is ascending, potentially, due to the Oilers taking the right development path with this player.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I haven’t drilled down to the dollar on it but I’m pretty sure they could trade ceci, match holloway and start the season under the cap with Kane and a 21 maaaybe 22 man roster so they could be accruing cap to start the season. They have lots of options.
Yes but then their right side D consists of Bouchard and a long line of 7D and AHL tweeners. Ceci isn’t a great 4d but he is better than literally every other option we have. That’s not something you want to intentionally do to yourself. Seasons long and all that will do is massively burn our Bouchard.

Reactions: Macblender

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Another good comment. Hughes though (I despise him) is playing mostly topsix opponents. Fortunately we don't require Stecher to be doing that. Hughes also eats such big minutes that the exploit potential is magnified by sheer toi and through inevitable fatigue. Again problems Stecher won't face here.

Teams will be intent on hacking Hughes to bits as its how to get the tree to fall. Beat Hughes and you beat the Canucks. So its a different thing.
He plays too much. A great skater, but overall I was not a fan of his style. The Canucks are a vicious forechecking team though. They should be good next year too.

NotASheep

Feb 23, 2019
If Friedman is correct and Broberg was a player teams were scrambling to acquire, I'd like to know what was being offered for him in a trade.

Next up, why do all the talking heads only include upcoming UFAs and current UFAs as targets for the Oil. Do they realize it is legal to trade for players with term and having teams retain on those players?

The contract does not need to be up at the end of the year. Ekholm is the perfect example and you don't have to wait until the deadline to make that type of deal. It may cost more to make the money work but if we have an extra 2nd and 3rd rounder in a week, thade those picks along with other assets.

Edit: now I see Friedman is saying the Oil will match on Holloway. I just learned that a second ago. Is it true?
Oilers did not believe a team would offer sheet him is my guess. They guessed wrong

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
If the "waiver strategy" is a valid strategy... meaning the greasy NHL won't stick their greasy, biased fingers in there and disallow it just because it's the Oilers doing it... then of course that's the better option.

San Jose will finish below the Blues so a 2nd round pick from SJ will be better than the Blues 2nd... and the Oilers also control that "trade/waiver" scenario... as they can deal with San Jose in a side deal for a pick/prospect rather than being FORCED to take a 2nd from the Blues.

There's no friends in this greasy multi-billion dollar NHL despite some fossils saying "you can't squeeze GM's in this league".

Greasy, vindictive Dubas gave the Blues what they wanted... their 2nd back... for a very low cost (to help stick it to the Oilers who they know are a prime SC contender and Dubas is a whiny vindictive bitch still butthurt that he gave away Hyman when he was a better player with more heart and soul than anything he had on his ex-team that he got shitcanned managing from.

Oilers should definitely deal with SJ... they are not even a playoff contender and the Blues could/might make the playoffs so that alone makes dealing with SJ a better option... for draft picks & the fact you won't be facing them anytime soon in the playoffs. It's not even a "revenge move"... it just makes sense to be able to deal with a team of your choice on your terms rather than to have a return shoved down your throat by 1 team who makes as greasy of a deal as possible.

Oilers definitely should do the exact same thing and use any and all means possible to make a deal with SJ to the maximum benefit of the Oilers franchise.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
I get being emotional and not wanting guys back that might not necessarily want to be back… but if it makes us a better hockey team you gotta go with it imo.

Sign the dudes, make it work. We are losing two young talented roster players for nothing while we are in the prime of our contending years.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I posted a version of this earlier, but why can the Oilers negotiate with St Louis in an attempt to squeeze more assets out of them in exchange for the Oilers to not match the offer sheet, but a negotiation with SJ would be a "weasel trade" ?
It's one of the contradictions in the CBA.

For this to make sense it would have have to be something like the value of a 1st or very early 2nd to the Oilers for future considerations. That sort of a trade will raise hackles almost immediately. If it is then followed by Broberg being waived and SJ picking him, even the great brain trusts in the NHL head office could follow that plan.

The real issue is that circumvention is in the eye of the beholder. The CBA allows the League to call pretty much any action they want as circumvention even if it is not explicitly ruled out. In the case of the SJ deal the big risk is that the player through the NHLPA would be the one crying to the League who would then would see this as pretty obvious circumvention of the "no trade after and OS" clause. Even if the player did not do that, the Oilers would risk having the League come down hard on them and its not like the League has ruled in their favour before on grey area matters so that they could be confident in their actions.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad