Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Have gone back and forth on this a dozen times, but I’m at peace now with walking away from both these players, even though the return is miniscule. Our main window is in these next two years, particularly this year, and I trust that Jackson can find players that are better right now than those two at a far better price point. I realize this is a short term viewpoint, but that is the mode we are in right now.

Still feeling the same as well. IMO if we did match Broberg, I bet a few weeks into the year Broberg ends up being a super expensive 3rd pair D with Kulak after Nurse crashes his confidence and we end up back with Nurse-Ceci. And good luck moving Broberg at 4.5M after that. End result is probably just not qualifying him in 2 years.

Need Bowman to do better and actually fix this D group.

Holloway, really don't see him being much more than a bottom 6 guy. Didn't see much smarts in his play, just straight lines, inches from being crippled almost every game with guys trying to light him up. Like a hobo's version of Taylor Hall. Best of luck with the Blues lad.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
The agents are not in contact with the Blues management before July 1.

The Oilers also prioritized Corey Perry over Holloway which is still a head-scratcher
Perry’s contract has literally zero effect on their ability to sign Holloway. Perry was an easy piece of business for the team and nothing more than an insurance policy.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
For the Blues, term wise if this blows up in their face they walk away after 2 years without an rfa Dman of significance pointing to the Broberg deal.
Blues just drafted Dmen in the first 2 rounds in 24 and 23 drafts for the first time since they took perunevich in rd 2 back in 2018. So they were lacking nhl ready Dmen in their system. Had like 2 dmen third rounders from 2019-2022 I believe.

It’s a risk but a calculated one for the blues.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
The agents are not in contact with the Blues management before July 1.

The Oilers also prioritized Corey Perry over Holloway which is still a head-scratcher
But why would Broberg sign before the end of the summer when he asked for a trade and was stuck in the minors? Holloways case is bit different but why not wait for the summer? What incentive do the players have to sign when they were stuck in the AHL

Still feeling the same as well. IMO if we did match Broberg, I bet a few weeks into the year Broberg ends up being a super expensive 3rd pair D with Kulak after Nurse crashes his confidence and we end up back with Nurse-Ceci. And good luck moving Broberg at 4.5M after that. End result is probably just not qualifying him in 2 years.

Holloway, really don't see him being much more than a bottom 6 guy. Didn't see much smarts in his play, just straight lines, inches from being crippled almost every game with guys trying to light him up. Like a hobo's version of Taylor Hall. Best of luck with the Blues lad.
Holloway is a reckless player. He will end up injured unless he changes his game. However if he changes his game he won’t be as an effective. Maybe he sees this and is why he chose money over winning. Can’t blame him for that. It’ll be interesting to see how he plays as well. After getting the money some guys priorities change and the hunger goes away

Reactions: Oilhawks

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Broberg isn't tradeable at $4.5m.

The second they signed they essentially became valueless.

This is Holloways value:
Kakko has a much better resume and is only a year older. Similar contract.
Broberg had a good series against Dallas and started to fade in the finals. He has a lot of potential but I would suggest the potential of him not becoming a top 4 D is greater than that of becoming one. $4.5M is almost triple his value, you have to let him walk.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
But why would Broberg sign before the end of the summer when he asked for a trade and was stuck in the minors? Holloways case is bit different but why not wait for the summer? What incentive do the players have to sign when they were stuck in the AHL
Agreed. These 2 are former first rounders, so they had almost a 100% assurance that they would get their QO from EDM. And unless the offers they got from EDM were well over their QO, makes way more sense to play out the season and see if they get a callup to improve their stock.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007

Holloway is a reckless player. He will end up injured unless he changes his game. However if he changes his game he won’t be as an effective. Maybe he sees this and is why he chose money over winning. Can’t blame him for that. It’ll be interesting to see how he plays as well. After getting the money some guys priorities change and the hunger goes away
That's like 9M dollars right there. He could take it and even if he does not play beyond the contract, he'll be set up quite nicely, if not for life than for a post-hockey future.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
I'd rather have signed these guys for cheap, but at this price just let them go. We're in win now mode and can spend this cap hit more reliably. Guys want to play here, and these two are an unnecessary gamble at this cap hit. St Louis sucks, so they can afford to gamble, but we don't need to. These guys chose to sign the contract; Oilers don't need to allow themselves to be held for ransom here.

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON

Ok so what do you do with the holes in the lineup then?

Because if you don't match either, you need to find a young depth guy with upside and a top 4 defender on a non-expiring contract. And you need to find both for less than 7 million.

Free Agency is over. Anything left is mostly guys that are 30+ or are fringe NHLers.

That realistically leaves a trade and trades for those guys right after we just had 2 guys swiped out from under us will be f***ING difficult because every god damn team will know what we're looking for and will blast trade prices for those pieces into the stratosphere.

We don't have anyone breaking down the door in our farm system either. Broberg was that guy, probably the only guy even knocking. Lavoie isn't ready and it's not a role fit for Savoie. There's no D options on the farm.

It's gonna be a tough pill to swallow for all of us when we watch season 3 of ceci-nurse and replace holloway with a 30+ year old guy half way into retirement.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Think I've referenced it in most of my posts on this precedent setting event. No team has faced a double RFA offer in a season let alone two players targeted by one organization. The Oilers quite likely fend off one offer sheet but two is difficult as we've seen it push them to a cap overage of $7,225, 541.

Holloway's salary level and increase is within reason where on its own it would be easy to match. Add the second player Broberg and sign him strategically to a very high stretch financial amount but still within a low compensation range and it requires the Oilers to make a fundamental choice including roster cuts if they take the big gulp to retain both young players.

The Blues have a strong core of young prime year forwards (and pedigree prospect pool) so Holloway is a nice to have. Whereas they have an old, expensive d-corp with no-trade provisions including Krug who has utilized it to prevent a trade. They've been on record as wanting to better balance their cap expenditure across the roster. Fortuitously with Krug now on LTIR (after scuttling yet another trade), they have the money, roster spot, and opportunity to run at Broberg. A player they have allegedly coveted for some time including this past trade deadline.

Blues biggest priority in their retool, not rebuild stategy is to find young NHL defensemen. Broberg for a 2nd round pick is a reasonable gamble of a marginal asset. Adding Holloway to their aggressive move makes it more difficult for Edmonton who've left themselves in a cap deficit. Holloway for a 3rd round pick is a pretty solid consolation prize.
The Oilers getting f***ed by the NHL is hardly a precedent setting event.

The Oilers can match for one player while hard up against the cap. The Oilers can match for the other player while hard up against the cap. The Oilers can match for both players while hard up against the cap. Re-sign these highly important depth players while hard up against the cap while not yet re-signing Draisaitl or Bouchard. Hard up against the cap while not yet signing McDavid.

The Oilers can walk away from one player receiving minimal compensation. The Oilers can walk away from the other player receiving minimal compensation. The Oilers can walk away from both players receiving minimal compensation.

These choices are independent of each other but I can't see re-signing either player while not yet having signed our stars. We just lost our depth and we've yet to re-sign our stars.

Management was silent before the offer sheets and remains silent after the offer sheets. What is Bowman going to say? "Sorry, we just got f***ed, it's haha funny because it's karma."

The Oilers are always the team getting f***ed. We lost cost control certainty on our depth and likely our two best young NHLers. We have yet to re-sign our NHL stars. Obviously I know they can't re-sign McDavid for another season but the fact is we still have to re-sign him.

Most of the fanbase is in shock repeating the bullshit junk the stupid ass media robots are saying. We may have lost the ability to win a cup. Management has to be extraordinary from here on out because we just got majorly f***ed.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007

Broberg didn’t ask for a trade- his agent did. Apparently, according to the boys on EST Holland and Broberg had a good relationship and this ask was driven by the agent unannounced to the player.

AHL players sign contracts all the time. Broberg’s incentive would be that he is signed for another contract. Everyone here had Broberg in trade proposals and had given up on him. If he didn’t play in the playoffs this year- he is qualified by the Oilers and he signs. I love how every poster asking “why would he sign- he would get a bigger offer in the summer” forgot what they thought of him last year.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
The Oilers getting f***ed by the NHL is hardly a precedent setting event.

The Oilers can match for one player while hard up against the cap. The Oilers can match for the other player while hard up against the cap. The Oilers can match for both players while hard up against the cap. Re-sign these highly important depth players while hard up against the cap while not yet re-signing Draisaitl or Bouchard. Hard up against the cap while not yet signing McDavid.

The Oilers can walk away from one player receiving minimal compensation. The Oilers can walk away from the other player receiving minimal compensation. The Oilers can walk away from both players receiving minimal compensation.

These choices are independent of each other but I can't see re-signing either player while not yet having signed our stars. We just lost our depth and we've yet to re-sign our stars.

Management was silent before the offer sheets and remains silent after the offer sheets. What is Bowman going to say? "Sorry, we just got f***ed, it's haha funny because it's karma."

The Oilers are always the team getting f***ed. We lost cost control certainty on our depth and likely our two best young NHLers. We have yet to re-sign our NHL stars. Obviously I know they can't re-sign McDavid for another season but the fact is we still have to re-sign him.

Most of the fanbase is in shock repeating the bullshit junk the stupid ass media robots are saying. We may have lost the ability to win a cup. Management has to be extraordinary from here on out because we just got majorly f***ed.
Unfortunately Oiler management decisions and choices led to this vulnerability. But it's really a decade of high turnover, erratic management and lack of strategic vision (mainly early) that led to patchwork contract decisions, over payments, shitty drafting and poor development.

A fundamental inflection point was losing Klefbom and Larsson as cornerstone defensemen that were aligned age and development wise with the current core. Surviving Chiarelli's erosion of NHL roster talent a killer. It's like Snakes and Ladders with this franchise. Make solid moves then something trips them up.

They will get their elites signed. The issue is building a quality, sustainable team around them while always hovering at cap threshold. Holland stabilized the organization but still had massive failure with Campbell and Nurse overpay. They continue to walk a tightrope with success only one snake away from slipping back.

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
If true, this is now a massive fail on the orgs part. Nothing about those asks seem unreasonable or undoable.
Think about the Mcleod situation. It's the same. Near everyone was happy Ryan took a team friendly deal. Why wouldn't we expect the other 2 do the same.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Unfortunately Oiler management decisions and choices led to this vulnerability. But it's really a decade of high turnover, erratic management and lack of strategic vision (mainly early) that led to patchwork contract decisions, over payments, shitty drafting and poor development.

A fundamental inflection point was losing Klefbom and Larsson as cornerstone defensemen that were aligned age and development wise with the current core. Surviving Chiarelli's erosion of NHL roster talent a killer. It's like Snakes and Ladders with this franchise. Make solid moves then something trips them up.

They will get their elites signed. The issue is building a quality, sustainable team around them while always hovering at cap threshold. Holland stabilized the organization but still had massive failure with Campbell and Nurse overpay. They continue to walk a tightrope with success only one snake away from slipping back.
If we still have to talk about Klefbom after all these years I don't suspect we can accomplish anything on this unlevel playing field.

Funny how it's always a win for Bettman and his vision of the NHL.
The only good thing that might come out of this is it could force them to trade Ceci.
I've been hearing we have a trade lined up for f***ing months now. Is it truth? Likely more NHL bullshit from their propagandists and that doesn't favor the Oilers.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
If we still have to talk about Klefbom after all these years I don't suspect we can accomplish anything on this unlevel playing field.

Funny how it's always a win for Bettman and his vision of the NHL.

I've been hearing we have a trade lined up for f***ing months now. Is it truth? Likely more NHL bullshit from their propagandists and that doesn't favor the Oilers.
Bettman f***ed the Oilers with the McDavid lottery. Really had my heart set on Dylan Strome.

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
It's mostly on Holland. I said this many times last year when people were celebrating the Brown bonus as being no big deal, all this dead cap would have consequences.

Fast forward a little over one year later and yep. Holland was awful managing the cap, the only good I can I see is this is a good wake up call for the Oilers management to get their shit together and if there was any doubt that cap management is vitally important there shouldn't be anyone now.
Was Brown worth 4 million in last years playoffs?. I say yes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad