Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I partially lean towards letting them walk and running with the narrative that we want people that want to be here. Acknowledge that they both are well compensated but that would hurt the teams chances at winning a Stanley Cup.
You can't overpay these two players then expect signing our stars is a given.

No choice but to take the less hard f*** and accept the f*** you compensation.

Kolja

1-5-6-14
Oct 30, 2011
I think it is important to figure out what the players want. Especially Broberg. If he is looking forward to becoming a member of the Blues, we should not match. No reason to bring back a discontent and overpayed player. Given the history and the poor handling of Broberg, I would not blame him.

Same goes for Holloway, tho I would expect him to have a more positive view on Edmonton.

Question is, are we even allowed to talk to the players during the 7-day window?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
A 3rd rd pick is nothing. I would just match Holloway and waive him down later when we need to be under the cap and confirm that Kane is ready to go for start of season. We can't trade a player but we should be able to waive them

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
All the Canadian teams have some good to great players. So f***ing what.

When's the last time a Canadian team won the cup?

It coincides to the day before Bettman was named NHL commissioner.

The league is crooked as f***.
I'm not a big conspiratory guy. This is big business that grown dramatically in its cartel numbers overwhelmingly south of the border in pursuit of profit for its members. You might have to borrow a blue pill from Neo to make it all go away. Sorry I can't help!

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The idea of cheap depth supplementing your team is a sham. Either they get unfairly overpaid like Yamo or Pool based on small samples and a dumb arbitrator. Or if they don’t get ice time they sulk like p***yes. Or this scenario where another team just steals years of development away from us cause they can’t realistically compete anyways. I see now where teams like the Lightning were coming from with their constant shipping out picks for players that can help now. Only shitty part about it, is we can’t supplement through free agency like the No tax, always Sunny, teams.

A f***in sham!!!!

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
A 3rd rd pick is nothing. I would just match Holloway and waive him down later when we need to be under the cap and confirm that Kane is ready to go for start of season. We can't trade a player but we should be able to waive them
Why does the fanbase generally accept Draisaitl, McDavid and Bouchard will take a little less than they should receive to be on a winner while a player like Holloway is receiving double what the team expected to pay him on a bridge deal.

No f***ing way they can match on Holloway. They would destroy the internal pay structure and any goodwill that has been built by the franchise towards the goal of winning a championship.

I like Holloway, and a 3rd rounder is better used by this organization as trade capital then actually using it in the draft because they can't draft for shit.

I'm not a big conspiratory guy. This is big business that grown dramatically in its cartel numbers overwhelmingly south of the border in pursuit of profit for its members. You might have to borrow a blue pill from Neo to make it all go away. Sorry I can't help!
Keep the faith but don't hold your breath.

One more massive failure and I'm out. I'm not watching the spectacle of the club imploding into the void of another decade of darkness.

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021
The only good thing that might come out of this is it could force them to trade Ceci.
Then the only question is how much does the pot have to be sweetened for someone to take Ceci - everyone knows this would be a move of desperation.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You can't squeeze GM's in this league...

...oh maybe you can.
Man that quote still pisses me off. What a chickenshit attitude to have for a general manager.

Also I'm not sure I agree with the "bird in the bush" feelings other people have. I certainly don't think Broberg is worth what the Blues are paying him, but there's zero guarantee he gets effectively replaced when we're so tight to the cap already. Any injuries to the defense and things could get dire in a hurry.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Despite our forward depth, I'd actually hate to lose Holloway more. In the playoffs, there were games where he provided speed and energy that few others could bring (aside from McDavid of course). I kind of have hopes for him becoming our future Hyman.

stewy04

Jun 19, 2016
Ok so what do you do with the holes in the lineup then?

Because if you don't match either, you need to find a young depth guy with upside and a top 4 defender on a non-expiring contract. And you need to find both for less than 7 million.

Free Agency is over. Anything left is mostly guys that are 30+ or are fringe NHLers.

That realistically leaves a trade and trades for those guys right after we just had 2 guys swiped out from under us will be f***ING difficult because every god damn team will know what we're looking for and will blast trade prices for those pieces into the stratosphere.

We don't have anyone breaking down the door in our farm system either. Broberg was that guy, probably the only guy even knocking. Lavoie isn't ready and it's not a role fit for Savoie. There's no D options on the farm.

It's gonna be a tough pill to swallow for all of us when we watch season 3 of ceci-nurse and replace holloway with a 30+ year old guy half way into retirement.

There will be lots of players available at the deadline. It does suck to lose them, especially for a 2nd and 3rd but it is what it is.

Reactions: gordonhught

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
You're going to waive Holloway? What lol
20 teams put in a claim.
Yamamoto at $2m proved WAY more than Dylan Holloway, and we sorta had to add a sweetener to get Detroit to take him.

Yamamoto came off of a 20 goal season, followed by a 10 goals in 58 games on the 3rd line. Holloway has scored 9 goals in his career across 89 games.

Why the hell would anyone claim Holloway at $2.3m? He hasn't even proven he can do what Puljujaarvi did. Scored double-digit goals for us 3 times.

The difference is Puljujaarvi and Yamamoto are valuable players at $1m, but are absolutely abysmal at $2m.

Why was Holloways 7 points in 25 playoff games adequqate?
But Yamamotos 7 points in 14 games was abysmal?

Sorry but at $2.3m there will be no takers for Holloway if we waived him at that cap hit.

What's even funnier is if we signed Holloway to that atrocious cap hit and then wanted to trade him to the Blues, they would likely ask for a sweetener from us.

We need to understand by NOW that we can NOT overpay for depth players.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
If the team is high on Broberg try a 3.75 mil x 8 years or other long term. Gamble for future. Beats the 9.2 million offer at 30 mil.
If not high on him let him walk.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
If the team is high on Broberg try a 3.75 mil x 8 years or other long term. Gamble for future. Beats the 9.2 million offer at 30 mil.
If not high on him let him walk.
They can't. There is no re-negotiating. This is his contract for the next 2 years, and next season he can only be an Oiler or a Blue making 4.6

There are 3 options.

1) Match - Can't trade him for a year.
2) Let him walk - take the 2nd, Blues can't trade him for a year
3) Negotiate with St. Louis - (example - 'we promise not to match on Broberg if you throw in a 3rd and 4th along with the comp 2nd that we will get'). It would be a side trade that looks like a 3rd and 4th for 'future considerations'

Drew Doubty

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.
Not saying it isn’t risky but options it’s an option and importantly it buys them time, sounds like Kane is going to be out until around the deadline so a lot can change between start of the season and then. They’ll always have the option to trade someone if it absolutely comes to it and again, think about how many players push treatment to the off season. With so many veteran players it’s probably a good bet one of them could use a procedure after 50-60 games.
I know Vegas did it, but I think everyone assuming you can just mess around with LTIR as much as you want are in for a rude awakening. Closing the loophole was discussed at the GMs meeting, and so you can bet it’s being watched more closely.

Also there’s no report Kane will be out until the TDL, just random speculation. Sports Hernia surgery has a recovery timeline of 2-4 months, so mid December at the latest. He also has a full NMC so he can’t be traded. But hey, if you want your entire season to rest on Evander Kane’s ability to shut up and go along with a semi fraudulent plan, then be my guest.

Drew Doubty

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.
Ok so what do you do with the holes in the lineup then?

Because if you don't match either, you need to find a young depth guy with upside and a top 4 defender on a non-expiring contract. And you need to find both for less than 7 million.

Free Agency is over. Anything left is mostly guys that are 30+ or are fringe NHLers.

That realistically leaves a trade and trades for those guys right after we just had 2 guys swiped out from under us will be f***ING difficult because every god damn team will know what we're looking for and will blast trade prices for those pieces into the stratosphere.

We don't have anyone breaking down the door in our farm system either. Broberg was that guy, probably the only guy even knocking. Lavoie isn't ready and it's not a role fit for Savoie. There's no D options on the farm.

It's gonna be a tough pill to swallow for all of us when we watch season 3 of ceci-nurse and replace holloway with a 30+ year old guy half way into retirement.
Even if you let both walk, you still are capped out with Kane coming back.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
I know Vegas did it, but I think everyone assuming you can just mess around with LTIR as much as you want are in for a rude awakening. Closing the loophole was discussed at the GMs meeting, and so you can bet it’s being watched more closely.

Also there’s no report Kane will be out until the TDL, just random speculation. Sports Hernia surgery has a recovery timeline of 2-4 months, so mid December at the latest. He also has a full NMC so he can’t be traded. But hey, if you want your entire season to rest on Evander Kane’s ability to shut up and go along with a semi fraudulent plan, then be my guest.
Yeah it was discussed, and they all agreed it can't be closed. LTIR is necessary.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Perry for sure. I have no idea why they prioritized signing him over even one these 2 young players.
Doesnt make sense to me at all.

Just take Broberg for example. All the other bad contracts (Nurse, Campbell et al) aside...the team invests 5 years in this player and then decides that signing Perry (now a 4th line player who is well past his best before date) is a priority over him?

I wish I could make sense of that. That is a move poorly managed teams typically make.
The Perry signing had no bearing on this whatsoever.
The Oilers couldn't have signed Broberg to this contract regardless of the Perry contract and it's buriable anyway so it has no effect on the cap if the Oilers wanted to squeeze Broberg in.
What makes you think they prioritized Perry over Broberg and Holloway? It seems pretty clear that the two were waiting out bigger offers so there's nothing JJ could have done, the lowball offers obviously weren't going to get them signed and the Oilers couldn't afford to sign them to anything more than a lowball contract.

Again, and some people don't want to hear this, the Nurse and Campbell contracts are the main reasons why the Oilers were in a tight enough cap crunch to be vulnerable to offer sheets like this, the Brown bonus too, not the players fault but still major strains on the cap. The Perry contract is a fart in the wind.

All this complaining about Nurse is getting cumbersome and just straight up weird. It offers absolutely no solution and hijacks every thread.
It's very relevant when teams are poaching your players because you're in a cap crunch. It's the bad contracts on this team that are forcing them into that position, not the Perry contract, not any of the other value contracts that were signed this offseason, not Bowman because Armstrong wants to spite the Oilers because he hates Bowman apparently. It's the bad contracts that put the Oilers in this predicament and in the here and now with the news of these offer sheets which will weaken the Oilers, Nurse and Campbell are very relevant to the discussion.

Last edited:
Reactions: KlimasLoveChild

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad