Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I'd rather keep the guy who will be a big part of keeping this team competitive as Hyman/RNH slow down and Kane/Skinner/Arvidsson exit.

I don't know how anyone can blame the players. This isn't the same as Henrique who's made his money, and is still making 3m in his pay cut.

Career ending injuries can happen. They are making sure they have at least some money put away.
Henrique took less to play in Edmonton. So did other players.

We have been told Draisaitl, McDavid and Bouchard are willing to take a little less so the team can stay competitive during their contracts.

Now we should accept Holloway getting double and Broberg more than double what the bridge deals were expected to be for months now because two inexperienced players could have career ending injuries? Do you realize how that sounds?

Reactions: McBooya42

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Put Kane on LTIR.

Sign Holloway. (Should have done that a month ago, but I guess there technically was no G.M.).

Let Broberg go.

I like Broberg, and it seems crazy to let a young-ish defense prospect go just as he's rounding into form (seemingly), but my personal expectation of Holloway's celiing is higher than my expectation of Broberg's ceiling. Remember that just before the '24 playoffs, Broberg was starting to look like a minor bust in the making. He had 7 or 8 great playoff games (a couple poor ones), and that's indeed impressive in the situation he was in, but looking at his overall development, I'd say he's just "okay".

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Put Kane on LTIR.

Sign Holloway. (Should have done that a month ago, but I guess there technically was no G.M.).

Let Broberg go.

I like Broberg, and it seems crazy to let a young-ish defense prospect go just as he's rounding into form (seemingly), but my personal expectation of Holloway's celiing is higher than my expectation of Broberg's ceiling. Remember that just before the '24 playoffs, Broberg was starting to look like a minor bust in the making. He had 7 or 8 great playoff games (a couple poor ones), and that's indeed impressive in the situation he was in, but looking at his overall development, I'd say he's just "okay".
Match on Holloway then the week after ask Draisaitl and Bouchard to take less for the good of the team when Holloway just got double what he was expected to sign for?

It's not the players it's the contracts and the team's internal financial structure. Paying Holloway is the same mistake as signing Nurse to a biger deal than Draisaitl. It's a shitheal move.

Move on from Holloway. Move on from Broberg. Now the management and pro-scouting needs to get to work like they haven't been expected to work since the 2005-06 season.

Now we have picks, use the picks, lots of them, to dump cap and round out the team into a champion.

Last edited:

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Put Kane on LTIR.

Let Broberg go.

I agree EXCEPT we do have alot of forwards and forward prospects. On defence, after Broberg, we have Wanner, Kemp and Akey.

I don't think losing Broberg is wise.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
AA cost double the price of that. Thank you Holland
He sure did. There's no real telling what value that pick has. It'll likely be mid-round so its value won't be incredibly high.

Either way, not trading it would be massively stupid. And it's not like we have any higher pick to trade.

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
I get your point, but you can't.

How do we replace them? You can't really trade more young players after you've just lost 2.

Oilers have no choice but to match.
Broberg wasn’t apart of this team until the playoffs, Holloway wasn’t a big part of the team, although his minutes increased.

I like both players but it also sends a message that you won’t get your contract and stay on this team if you sign an offer sheet.

You can have your money and gamble your chances of a competitive team in the short term.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Career ending injuries at 22? It can cause anything is possible. But it far more likely they play out a long career. I'm not blaming Broberg. I don't like what Holloway did. He could have waited and still get a bigger bag from the Oilers in 2 years and also play closer to home and family, same opportunity, same ice time, yes you read that right, familiarity, for the cup, there's so much more the Oilers are giving him than St. Louis
Well I think the Blues could give Holloway more ice time.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I agree EXCEPT we do have alot of forwards and forward prospects. On defence, after Broberg, we have Wanner, Kemp and Akey.

Explain to Bouchard why Broberg is making more than him. Then ask Bouchard to take less on his extension for the good of the team. What?

Let St. Louis have their little victory dance then Edmonton needs to get to work finding new players and solutions to the cap crunch.

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World

Completely agree
However, prospect depth is well down our list of issues right now
Actual NHL defensive depth, contracts for our three top players and cap space is paramount right now
4 1/2 million for Broberg isn’t a luxury we can’t afford (we’ve spent 15M on other contracts that I hate ha ha)

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Well I think the Blues could give Holloway more ice time.
Just like Pujlu and Yamo. They got more top 6 ice time in Edmonton and than anywhere else. McDavid and Drai took turns pumping these guys values. They got overpaid and then got shipped out. It might also be downhill for Holloway as soon as he leaves Edmonton. But hey for 2.3M he's willing to risk it.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Bouchard is from the same draft as Hughes. He's 24 and did a bridge to age 25. So, he's 2 years out from UFA when his deal ends. I doubt he's going to take a 4 year deal til his 29 and look for another deal. 2025 would be his time to lock in $75 plus million.
You have a legitimate point. But there are two reasons why I think it could make sense. The first is that while he is an RFA with arbitration the Oilers do still hold a lot of cards. He could go looking for an OS and might get slightly more but the Oilers match unless it is in at least the upper half of the 2 first, a 2nd and a 3rd range. Not many teams can make that sort of an offer for a variety of reasons including the necessary picks and cap space. It pretty much rules out all of the teams anywhere close to being contenders. And for a bottom tier team the risk is substantial. If you are say SJ do you want to risk giving up a pick that could be a shot at 1st overall for a defenseman whose offense may suffer away from a top pp and away from the Oilers big stars. Not that Bouchard is not talented but let's be honest his production will certainly be tied to McDavid et al in the eyes of most. So if an OS is off the table Bouchard's best leverage is arbitration and at that point contracts for guys like Hughes and Makar come into play.

The second reason is that we are on the verge of a potentially huge increase in the cap. If Bouchard takes say 8 years at $9.5M my guess is that if he continues to produce like he is right now, by the midpoint of that deal he will be looking at a situation similar to what Draisaitl had where the money his is making seems like a significant underpayment. Guys like Fox, Hughes and Makar could easily be making close to $12M on their next big deals. Bouchard would find himself negotiating his next deal at age 33 or 34 on team that by that time could be looking to retool. There is a reason why some top stars have taken shorter deals of late.

At the end of that 4 year deal we are close to the end of the decade and the NHL is looking at $10B in revenue as a target. Even with modest growth $8B is not out the realm of reality. At that number even with a 6% limit on escrow codified in the new CBA you would be looking at a cap over $120M. McDavid, and to a lesser degree Draisaitl, could still have more good years left, and teh Oilers should have a lot of cap space to work with. At 29-30 Bouchard could be in a very strong position to go for a last big deal, 8 years in the $12M+ range.

So the calculation could be 8 years at $9.5M followed by 4 years at ??? or 4 years at $8.5M followed by 8 years at $12M+. The latter is of course more risky.

Perhaps reduce the term to three years to make the big increase happen a little sooner.

Reactions: Broberg Speed

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
We need to take the top down approach, signing our stars first before we go matching inflated offer sheets.

Matching the St. Louis predatory offer sheets is the move that could ruin this club.

Holloway and Broberg priced themselves off the team.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Just like Pujlu and Yamo. They got more top 6 ice time in Edmonton and than anywhere else. McDavid and Drai took turns pumping these guys values. They got overpaid and then got shipped out. It might also be downhill for Holloway as soon as he leaves Edmonton. But hey for 2.3M he's willing to risk it.
Those aren't the same situations. Those are guys who were struggling and hoped a change of scenery would help. Holloway is on the rise and was only held back in his development by injury (which the injury history might also be scaring him into taking this deal).

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
That idiot of a coach who cant get a job now because GMs know he is a fast talking Dallas Eakins clone whose full of himself and his wordy quotes, is massively to blame for this along with that dunce Holland. Hollands legendary patience hurt us just as much as it may have helped us. Woodcroft wanted Broberg as the 7th D in his vaunted 7-11 scheme, Broberg wound up rotting on the bench 57 minutes a night and Holland - the guy who was supposedly the master at player development - allowed it to happen.
It's been reported that Oilers brass knew what each player wanted, and if this is the case and the numbers are accurate, 1.8 for Broberg and 1.2 for Holloway, then it's on JJ for not inking them to deals. Instead it seems that they tried to let it slide and get them on cheaper deals.

I'm having a hard time blaming anyone but the current boss, but this is all based on reports that I don't know the validity of.

My initial reaction was to absolve the front office of mismanagement because I felt like it was on the two players for signing the deals to begin with. But I can't blame players for going after money. Ever.

So I dunno. Really seems like Edmonton tried to lowball, for right or wrong, and it bit them. That's on the Oilers.

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
That idiot of a coach who cant get a job now because GMs know he is a fast talking Dallas Eakins clone whose full of himself and his wordy quotes, is massively to blame for this along with that dunce Holland. Hollands legendary patience hurt us just as much as it may have helped us. Woodcroft wanted Broberg as the 7th D in his vaunted 7-11 scheme, Broberg wound up rotting on the bench 57 minutes a night and Holland - the guy who was supposedly the master at player development - allowed it to happen.
I can’t tell you how happy I am that we no longer have to deal with ventrilocoach

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Those aren't the same situations. Those are guys who were struggling and hoped a change of scenery would help. Holloway is on the rise and was only held back in his development by injury (which the injury history might also be scaring him into taking this deal).
Yamo on the downhill is still a better player than Holloway right now. His issue with the Oilers was he made himself a cap casualty. Same with Pulju. Both players did more on the top 6 than Holloway ever did.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
You have a legitimate point. But there are two reasons why I think it could make sense. The first is that while he is an RFA with arbitration the Oilers do still hold a lot of cards. He could go looking for an OS and might get slightly more but the Oilers match unless it is in at least the upper half of the 2 first, a 2nd and a 3rd range. Not many teams can make that sort of an offer for a variety of reasons including the necessary picks and cap space. It pretty much rules out all of the teams anywhere close to being contenders. And for a bottom tier team the risk is substantial. If you are say SJ do you want to risk giving up a pick that could be a shot at 1st overall for a defenseman whose offense may suffer away from a top pp and away from the Oilers big stars. Not that Bouchard is not talented but let's be honest his production will certainly be tied to McDavid et al in the eyes of most. So if an OS is off the table Bouchard's best leverage is arbitration and at that point contracts for guys like Hughes and Makar come into play.

The second reason is that we are on the verge of a potentially huge increase in the cap. If Bouchard takes say 8 years at $9.5M my guess is that if he continues to produce like he is right now, by the midpoint of that deal he will be looking at a situation similar to what Draisaitl had where the money his is making seems like a significant underpayment. Guys like Fox, Hughes and Makar could easily be making close to $12M on their next big deals. Bouchard would find himself negotiating his next deal at age 33 or 34 on team that by that time could be looking to retool. There is a reason why some top stars have taken shorter deals of late.

At the end of that 4 year deal we are close to the end of the decade and the NHL is looking at $10B in revenue as a target. Even with modest growth $8B is not out the realm of reality. At that number even with a 6% limit on escrow codified in the new CBA you would be looking at a cap over $120M. McDavid, and to a lesser degree Draisaitl, could still have more good years left, and teh Oilers should have a lot of cap space to work with. At 29-30 Bouchard could be in a very strong position to go for a last big deal, 8 years in the $12M+ range.

So the calculation could be 8 years at $9.5M followed by 4 years at ??? or 4 years at $8.5M followed by 8 years at $12M+. The latter is of course more risky.

Perhaps reduce the term to three years to make the big increase happen a little sooner.
There's also security in getting that $75 mill plus guaranteed. I mean, once he signs it in 2025 at age 25, he can't be bought out at 1/3 the balance. He would play year 1 and be 26 in the first year of the contract. Thus it will be 2/3 of whatever is remaining after year 1 of the deal if he were to somehow be bought out. So, for sure he'd pocket $50 plus mill. That's the main tradeoff. You get the money locked in and your family's financial future is more than secured for generations.

Not impossible to do a 4 year deal. DCat of Det just did that vs go max term.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
It's been reported that Oilers brass knew what each player wanted, and if this is the case and the numbers are accurate, 1.8 for Broberg and 1.2 for Holloway, then it's on JJ for not inking them to deals. Instead it seems that they tried to let it slide and get them on cheaper deals.

I'm having a hard time blaming anyone but the current boss, but this is all based on reports that I don't know the validity of.

My initial reaction was to absolve the front office of mismanagement because I felt like it was on the two players for signing the deals to begin with. But I can't blame players for going after money. Ever.

So I dunno. Really seems like Edmonton tried to lowball, for right or wrong, and it bit them. That's on the Oilers.

If they signed Broberg to 1.8 the same people blaming JJ for not signing him at 1.8 would be the same ones blaming him for an overpay.

When players are on ELCs without arb rights the GMs almost always lowball them.

• Haha
Reactions: GOilers88

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Broberg didn’t ask for a trade- his agent did. Apparently, according to the boys on EST Holland and Broberg had a good relationship and this ask was driven by the agent unannounced to the player.

AHL players sign contracts all the time. Broberg’s incentive would be that he is signed for another contract. Everyone here had Broberg in trade proposals and had given up on him. If he didn’t play in the playoffs this year- he is qualified by the Oilers and he signs. I love how every poster asking “why would he sign- he would get a bigger offer in the summer” forgot what they thought of him last year.
You don’t seem to grasp that broberg was going to get another contract anyways, and what he was worth in December was what his qualifying offer was, why would he sign that?

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
Unfortunate that it came to this, I want to see both players signed, however not signing Broberg will be a huge mistake talked about for years. He is just starting to come into his own, the way he played in the toughest games of the season was amazing. He very well could be our best defensemen by years end. $4 million will look like nothing.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
If they signed Broberg to 1.8 the same people crying about JJ not signing him now would be the same ones crying about an overpay.
Hahaha youre not wrong. It's sad but true.

But now they've seen the alternative, and I think they all wish they could send him that 1.8 contract and have him sign it.

I also don't take the opinions of an easy 50% of the board seriously anyways, so there's that :D

Edit: I take that deal all day. You get Kulak and Broberg for the price of 1 Broberg now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad