Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Defensively they both kinda suck, lol. Maybe one will improve more than the other there but there's no guarantee.

If you gave Kostin playing time with Draisaitl I think he'd have more than 9 points in 38 games.
Disagree. Holloway showed a lot of growth defensively late last season and into the playoffs.

Holloway played 45 minutes 5v5 with Draisaitl last year in the regular season. Try again.

People forget we were ridiculously healthy on defense last year
Without Desharnais and Broberg, we are 1 injury away from playing Troy Stetcher in the Top 4

That is scary as shit
It's really not in the regular season. This team has way more than enough firepower to outscore their problems in the regular season. They will need to upgrade at the deadline though.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

Thank you for this. I was using this one.

IMG_5684.gif

Reactions: McDoused

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Have gone back and forth on this a dozen times, but I’m at peace now with walking away from both these players, even though the return is miniscule. Our main window is in these next two years, particularly this year, and I trust that Jackson can find players that are better right now than those two at a far better price point. I realize this is a short term viewpoint, but that is the mode we are in right now.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Have gone back and forth on this a dozen times, but I’m at peace now with walking away from both these players, even though the return is miniscule. Our main window is in these next two years, particularly this year, and I trust that Jackson can find players that are better right now than those two at a far better price point. I realize this is a short term viewpoint, but that is the mode we are in right now.

Yup I’m at the same place. JJ and SB should be able to replace both players for better more experienced players with salary retained even.

I’m more worried about players like Savoie etc getting offer sheets if we continue to press up against the cap. Need young effective cheap players. Holloway and Broberg are no longer that.

I’d also love to see those two totally flame out in StL and will boo them mercilessly when they come back to play - and no I don’t begrudge them for taking the money but just will exercise my fans prerogative lol.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
I'm leaning towards matching Broberg, and letting Holloway walk.

Our forward group has the depth to deal with losing someone like Holloway, but I don't think we can say the same about the blue line.

If Borberg really want out in the long run, give us a solid season so we can trade him for something of decent value a year from now.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

Our forward group has the depth to deal with losing someone like Holloway, but I don't think we can say the same about the blue line.

If Borberg really want out in the long run, give us a solid season so we can trade him for something of decent value a year from now.
I'm here too. I want to match both, but if it's a choice between either, we have to keep Broberg. We even have Savoie coming. Our D is so weak, especially for the long term.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I’m kind of at the same place. The draft capital and cap flexibility would likely give them the ability to add more established and impactful players at the deadline. Long term it sucks losing young talent for below market but in the immediate future of their cup window over the next two years this could actually make them stronger if they use the assets and cap wisely.

The other situation is they keep one or both, trade a Kulak or Ceci and grease their way through the season with some ltir shenani’s. As so many people love pointing out, they’ve got a few 30+ year olds, I’m sure one of them could be in need of a mid season surgery to clean up a knee or something. Kane comes off someone else goes on and they make it work til playoffs. It’s not ideal and they’ll have less options at the deadline but they give themselves the chance to recoup better value jettisoning them next offseason if they want.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal

Broberg isn't tradeable at $4.5m.

The second they signed they essentially became valueless.

This is Holloways value:

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks

Drew Doubty

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.
I’m kind of at the same place. The draft capital and cap flexibility would likely give them the ability to add more established and impactful players at the deadline. Long term it sucks losing young talent for below market but in the immediate future of their cup window over the next two years this could actually make them stronger if they use the assets and cap wisely.

The other situation is they keep one or both, trade a Kulak or Ceci and grease their way through the season with some ltir shenani’s. As so many people love pointing out, they’ve got a few 30+ year olds, I’m sure one of them could be in need of a mid season surgery to clean up a knee or something. Kane comes off someone else goes on and they make it work til playoffs. It’s not ideal and they’ll have less options at the deadline but they give themselves the chance to recoup better value jettisoning them next offseason if they want.
I think people are really underrating how risky it would be to assume you can play “LTIR shenanigans” all season long. There’s a very real possibility that they don’t have a good LTIR candidate when Kane comes back and they need a way to get compliant of it comes to that.

Another thing I keep seeing is running with a 20 man roster like that’s not also insanely risky. People forget that if you have someone non long term IR they count towards the cap.

Reactions: GOilers88

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Right, and then what money will you guys have to offer-sheet Neighbors?
Leon costs minimum $11 million, Oilers have $18m next year, with EVAN BOUCHARD also RFA. Ceci and a couple other depth forwards also need new contracts.

The Blues can easily sign Neighbors and Hofer first with their $15 million, and then fill the rest of the roster with the depth they'd need to retain (Faksa, Toropchenko, Kapanen, Perunovich, Suter). Good luck,
If Broberg is doing big minutes they should get a nice draft pick. After some development years, we’ll vengeance is best served tepid.

• Haha
Reactions: PettersonHughes

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
You’re right. All fringe AHL players should never sign deals and should sit out until they get offer sheeted. It happens so often.
The agents were in contact with with blues management and were told an offer sheet might be coming. . The players lose nothing by waiting until the end of summer to see if an offersheet comes. In fact it would be ill advised for the agent to suggest the players sign early and not wait for an offersheet after being being in contact with teams.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I think people are really underrating how risky it would be to assume you can play “LTIR shenanigans” all season long. There’s a very real possibility that they don’t have a good LTIR candidate when Kane comes back and they need a way to get compliant of it comes to that.

Another thing I keep seeing is running with a 20 man roster like that’s not also insanely risky. People forget that if you have someone non long term IR they count towards the cap.
Not saying it isn’t risky but options it’s an option and importantly it buys them time, sounds like Kane is going to be out until around the deadline so a lot can change between start of the season and then. They’ll always have the option to trade someone if it absolutely comes to it and again, think about how many players push treatment to the off season. With so many veteran players it’s probably a good bet one of them could use a procedure after 50-60 games.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Pretty much where I at.

I personally just think theres too much risk in the Broberg contract. 4.6m is crazy based on his history. I would only match it if you were positive he was going to be a top 3 dman as early as next year. I just don’t see how anyone can feel confident in that. Theres as much risk of him busting as being successful.

Holloway value should be similar to the Reichel contract. He’s basically paid twice as much as he should be. Just start to lose value as the money goes up. His qualifying offer after the next deal is a detriment unless he turns into a legitimate player. I guess they could match him and trade him next offseason similar to McLeod. But he also has a injury history. Assuming Kane comes back before playoffs, him and Holloway are kinda the same spot on the roster too. Honestly might just be better using the cap or asset on a center or a d upgrade.

Pretty much just a lose lose deal for the Oilers. Cut your losses and make a new plan.

Last edited:

Judge Dredd

Jan 18, 2020
Don't know if anyone has mentioned it but would a bottom feeder like SJ, Columbus or Utah pay more than the compensation and we just sign and trade both? Is that even allowed though, not sure.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
The agents were in contact with with blues management and were told an offer sheet might be coming. . The players lose nothing by waiting until the end of summer to see if an offersheet comes. In fact it would be ill advised for the agent to suggest the players sign early and not wait for an offersheet after being being in contact with teams.
The agents are not in contact with the Blues management before July 1.

The Oilers also prioritized Corey Perry over Holloway which is still a head-scratcher

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Yup I’m at the same place. JJ and SB should be able to replace both players for better more experienced players with salary retained even.

I’m more worried about players like Savoie etc getting offer sheets if we continue to press up against the cap. Need young effective cheap players. Holloway and Broberg are no longer that.

I’d also love to see those two totally flame out in StL and will boo them mercilessly when they come back to play - and no I don’t begrudge them for taking the money but just will exercise my fans prerogative lol.
I agree with you. Broberg is not a RHD and is definitely not worth 4.6M. You can’t sign him and try to fit a square peg in a round hole. The need is still a top 4 puck-moving d-man. Nurse and his contract are such roadblocks to a Stanley cup. His cap is way too high and he is firmly nestled into that top 4 spot while being a 5/6 d man. A better skating Gryba

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
We may have raised their value by playing them so little. Play them more, their downsides become more apparent to the team and the league and the dollar value is easier to pin. Plus if you play them more you figure out if you trust one of them enough to let a vet go. In many ways the mistake here is you can’t get to the end of this contract and not have enough miles to know what to do next. So I do think we screwed up their development.
I think one could argue your case for Broberg maybe. But Holloway's injury track is responsible for him not getting more time, not coaches. Whenever he got a shot he got hurt. But I think there's a lot of upside with him as he matures, so long as he can stay healthy.

I don't necessarily think Broberg was stunted. I just think he's a late bloomer. He didn't start playing defense until he was like 15 or something. I'm really bummed out now that it looks like we've lost him, and despite my quips about people being mad at management, the more I have to admit that I'm wrong on that front. If some of the musings are true, they knew what it would take to lock these two in and chose to play it fast and loose and it came back to bite them.

Really for me though, it's just a damn slick move by Armstrong, and I'm finding it hard to be mad at him.

Ya can't never let em catch you slippin' bro

Last edited:
Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
The agents are not in contact with the Blues management before July 1.

The Oilers also prioritized Corey Perry over Holloway which is still a head-scratcher
Most likely incorrect in Gary’s NHL.

The proof is in how many UFAs are signed at 12:01 July 1 every year.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Yup. Sucks for the future of the team but the window is now and neither player will really help significantly enough right now at those prices. It is what it is. Getting McDavid, Bouch and Draisaitl to extensions is the most important thing moving forward. Kudos to the Blues for seeing an opportunity and taking full advantage of it. Though it could easily come back to bite them as well.

Reactions: bellagiobob and AM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad